What's new

iKon Tech: details and first shave report.

My iKon Tech head arrived today, so I had to test it.

I was hoping to fit my Knockout Bakelite handle to it, but no joy. In fact none of my handles (including a couple of Gillettes) would fit… barring my Maggard Travel handle, so that’s what’s on it now (I’ve ordered a Maggard MR11 for it).

Please accept my apologies in advance for my questionable smartphone photos (more to do with the operator than the smartphone).
upload_2017-5-3_0-6-12.png

Here it is broken down (showing both sides):
upload_2017-5-3_0-7-1.png

upload_2017-5-3_0-7-37.png

Here are a few measurements for the geeks out there (in grams g and millimeters mm):
PART
Wt g
Ø
Length
Width
Height
Cap12.243.219.3.0*
Cap Pins04.7
Baseplate12.343.023.3
Complete Unit24.643.223.307.3*
* excluding cap bolt

Blade exposure:
upload_2017-5-3_0-9-9.png

Our first shave, iKon Tech and me:
upload_2017-5-3_0-10-10.png

What a lovely smooth shave. On first impressions this is a very efficient razor which I liked straight away.

First shave BBS. I intend using the iKon Tech for a while to get it dialed in so I’ll report back in about a week.

FOOTNOTE:

A big “thank you” to all the “aggressive razor” freaks out there that made me crave one of these (you know who you are :wink2:).

Nice score Cal. I hated HATED the iKon Tech when I first got it. Never cut me, but I hated HATED the shave.

Fast forward a year and I discovered steep angle shaving. Now I live mine. Tons of blade feel, but smooth and never harsh. I use mine with a Maggard MR1 handle - it's the perfect weight, length, diameter, and knurliness (not a word, but you get what I mean ;-)

Enjoy the razor. Now we need to get you a Wardonia.

Raven Koenes

My precious!
Nice Cal! It finally came through customs and you got it! I look forward to hearing more about it...and love the handle. :biggrin1:

Thank you BigJoe. :laugh:
Well done, Cal! The Ikon Tech is truly a masterpiece. I even like the handle.
Thank you Scott. :001_smile
Very interesting. I'm looking forward to your next review.
Thank you Mat. :001_smile
Nice score Cal. I hated HATED the iKon Tech when I first got it. Never cut me, but I hated HATED the shave.

Fast forward a year and I discovered steep angle shaving. Now I love mine. Tons of blade feel, but smooth and never harsh. I use mine with a Maggard MR1 handle - it's the perfect weight, length, diameter, and knurliness (not a word, but you get what I mean ;-)

Enjoy the razor. Now we need to get you a Wardonia.
That's interesting Rudy. I guess I'm lucky being a natural steep shaver. Although not that much different from your MR1, I picked the MR11 as it was the shortest handle available (78mm). My preferred handle length is in the 70mm to 75mm range... it's really difficult to find a modern handle that short.
Wardonia? PLEASE, give my RAD a rest. :001_rolle
Nice Cal! It finally came through customs and you got it! I look forward to hearing more about it...and love the handle. :biggrin1:
It must've sailed through Customs (thankfully) Rave. I was really pleased not to have to pay the usual tax or the Post Office charge that goes with it.
Well, I think the pics are good! Great info! Interested to hear your evaluation of it...
Thank you Glenn. :001_smile

Well, I think the pics are good! Great info! Interested to hear your evaluation of it...
+1 Pics look good. I've been looking at the Ikon B1 Standard. It looks like a stainless version of the Tech, but I don't know if it is exactly the same. I've heard it is aggressive, but no one has said that it matches the Tech in that measurement.

Raven Koenes

My precious!
It must've sailed through Customs (thankfully) Rave. I was really pleased not to have to pay the usual tax or the Post Office charge that goes with it.
Canada shares tracking with the US. So far my razor has left customs in Chicago two days ago and has been sitting in Denver for 14 hours (it's about an hour drive traffic permitting). Sometimes the USPS is really bad about scanning items for tracking, so I may, or may not, receive it today. Cheers!

+1 Pics look good.
Thank you Pat. :001_smile
I've been looking at the Ikon B1 Standard. It looks like a stainless version of the Tech, but I don't know if it is exactly the same. I've heard it is aggressive, but no one has said that it matches the Tech in that measurement.
I disliked iKon B1 Standard. It ended up getting sold. I wonder how it compares to ShaveCraft Tech.
On the iKon website the B1 Standard Head is described as "Aggressive Level Shave" whereas the Tech Head is described simply as "Aggressive." I only have the Tech Head. To find out I'd drop them an email <[email protected]>.

Raven Koenes

My precious!
Thank you Pat. :001_smile

On the iKon website the B1 Standard Head is described as "Aggressive Level Shave" whereas the Tech Head is described simply as "Aggressive." I only have the Tech Head. To find out I'd drop them an email <[email protected]>.
With the blade exposure on your Tech Head showing in your pictures I'd say it be aggressive. :w00t:

+1 Pics look good. I've been looking at the Ikon B1 Standard. It looks like a stainless version of the Tech, but I don't know if it is exactly the same. I've heard it is aggressive, but no one has said that it matches the Tech in that measurement.

Not to hijack the thread here, but I have the original standard, not the B1 coated version. IME it's 100% as aggressive as the 2011 R41, but an easier shaver. After using the standard for a few shaves, I traded off my '11 R41, I couldn't see any use in keeping it around.

One day I'll pick up a Tech. It looks like it puts more bend in the blade, which for me generally gives me a better shave.

Not to hijack the thread here, but I have the original standard, not the B1 coated version. IME it's 100% as aggressive as the 2011 R41, but an easier shaver. After using the standard for a few shaves, I traded off my '11 R41, I couldn't see any use in keeping it around.

One day I'll pick up a Tech. It looks like it puts more bend in the blade, which for me generally gives me a better shave.
I wouldn't consider that a hijack. We are discussing razors very similar to the one in the OP and made by the same company, and thanks for that information. I find it helpful, since I am considering one of the razors being discussed.

Just saw your review, Cal. Good pictures and measurements! :thumbup: Based on your blade exposure picture, the razor head looks very aggressive and efficient because it looks like the safety guard doesn't do much. You did mention how the razor head was very efficient and you got a BBS shave, which would be consistent with my impression that the operator must be very skilled to use the iKon Tech well. Is this a fair assessment?

Just saw your review, Cal. Good pictures and measurements! :thumbup: Based on your blade exposure picture, the razor head looks very aggressive and efficient because it looks like the safety guard doesn't do much. You did mention how the razor head was very efficient and you got a BBS shave, which would be consistent with my impression that the operator must be very skilled to use the iKon Tech well. Is this a fair assessment?

The Ikon Tech is my most aggressive razor, beating out my R41 2011, ATT H2, Charcoal Goods Level 3, among many others. On my face, all I feel is blade, regardless of angle. When in a blade-only mood, nothing beats it. Surprisingly, I rarely get a weeper. Perhaps it's because I pay more attention with the Ikon Tech than with any of my other DEs.

The Ikon Tech is my most aggressive razor, beating out my R41 2011, ATT H2, Charcoal Goods Level 3, among many others. On my face, all I feel is blade, regardless of angle. When in a blade-only mood, nothing beats it. Surprisingly, I rarely get a weeper. Perhaps it's because I pay more attention with the Ikon Tech than with any of my other DEs.

Wow! You have quite the collection of aggressive razors! I'm not surprised that the iKon Tech beats them all for you and makes you only feel blade. To me, from Cal's picture, it sure looks like that's what would happen. It looks like the guard is there for looks, but doesn't do anything unless one were to ride the guard with a shallow handle angle.

Wow! You have quite the collection of aggressive razors! I'm not surprised that the iKon Tech beats them all for you and makes you only feel blade. To me, from Cal's picture, it sure looks like that's what would happen. It looks like the guard is there for looks, but doesn't do anything unless one were to ride the guard with a shallow handle angle.

Yeah, the blade sort of hovers out there in outer space. It really is unique among my collection. The PAA DOC Evo in stainless and Le Coq cage comb are also quite blade-forward, but not like the Ikon Tech, on my face.

Top Bottom