What's new

Ikon Slant X3 or Parker Vairiat ?

Hi,

I'm using Merkur 34C for a year now, and i'm thinking to get upgraded.
Since i'm not into spending to much money, I've bumped in the Ikon Slant X3
I also got my eyes on Parker Variant (New)

Which one do you think is a proper upgrade from the 34C ?

Thanks!

The 34C and Jagger/Muhle 89 are like Astra SP blades; they work well for most folks.

What sort of upgrade? What don't you like about the 34C? Want stainless? Heavier? Adjustable? How far can you stretch the budget?

Actually. I love the 34C.
Not sure what is upgrade since I'm not sure what benefit better razor will give me.
Maybe better close shave together with less passes?

Or just jump into the vintage heavens. I recommend a Slim for starters, so that you can adjust and try different aggressiveness levels.

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
Buy a RR 37 slant(sold out at the moment) and a Parker Variant for both under $100 and be a very "happy camper"!

Buy a RR 37 slant(sold out at the moment) and a Parker Variant for both under $100 and be a very "happy camper"!

+1

The German 37 slant will be very similar to your 34c, just more efficient. You could get the merkur 37c and then it will be almost identical to your 34, just in a slant version, but the German 37 by RazoRock is supposed to be a good knock off that imitates it well and is much cheaper. The Variant gives you the ability to adjust your shaves. It’s based on the merkur progress (they’re almost the same price) but the Variant has some nice features, like knurling on the handle, an all metal design, washes easily due to its head design, and is a great shaver on top of all that.

My personal opinion is that if you’re going to advance your shave, a single edge razor that uses artist club style blades is a great next step. A couple can be had for quite cheap, like the RazoRock Hawk. I think the aluminum version of the colonial general is also fairly inexpensive.

If you want to stick with DE blades, I would encourage you to look at open comb razors. The RR OLD is inexpensive, mild to the face, but very efficient. Vintage razors such as the Gillette NEW long or short combs are also reportedly fantastic shavers. The advantage of an OC over a traditional straight bar is that lather is left behind for the razor blade to glide on. A straight bar, unless riding the cap heavily, will remove the lather just prior to the blade encountering the stubble. Not an issue for most gents, and sounds like not at all an issue for you, but I personally find the shaves more comfortable with an OC as compared to a SB. As always YMMV. Good luck with the decision!

I did some research, and maybe I was wrong on my option.
I've found Rockwell 6C to get very good reviews.
Is it good upgrade ?

Thanks!

The Merkur 34C was one of my early razor purchases, many years ago. I continue to like it -- decent shaves, but not very comfortable for me. Anyway, I've acquired many razors since the 34C. Only a few were really better -- until I got my Rockwell. That was a little over 18 months ago. It's a fantastic razor. And I haven't bought another razor since I got the Rockwell.

The 34c is a great razor. Still one to the best available. The only thing you will gain is that the one you choose may be more aggressive. I always like the Parker 3 piece razors such as the model 94R.

I like very much my iKon X3, enough that I even bought a spare. It is super mild, but it is still having a gap big enough to not clog. The blade feels stable.

So my vote goes to X3. Adjustable razors are in my opinion over rated (YMMV).

Had and used an X3 for almost 2 years from when they first came out. Nice mild DE. Adjustable razors are not overrated at all. Look at the success of the Progress.

The Parker Variant is an exceptional tool. I'm surprised how great a shaver it is.

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
The 34c is a great razor. Still one to the best available. The only thing you will gain is that the one you choose may be more aggressive. I always like the Parker 3 piece razors such as the model 94R.
If you want a little more aggressive 34c you could cut a few shims and but them under the razor blade to give more blade gab.(cheating a little with out buying a razor) Don't frown on this because lots of guys do shim their shavers for aggressiveness and blade rigidity.(I like to experiment a little myself and have gotten excellent results.) If you do cut shims all you do is trim the cutting edges and make sure you trim a little off the ends so you can get them apart when you go to remove blade by bending the good blade and it will lift the shim for you. (use tin snips for cutting old blades or scissors but your scissors will get damaged I would think!)

I can't really give my opinion on the razors you're looking into, but I know the merkur 34c is a very good razor. If it already works very well for you I don't think anything you buy will be a direct upgrade, but more a sidegrade, just something different to spice things up.

I have both. The X3 is a fairly mild shave - but still a nice razor. It’s the type of razor that you can use if you’re in a hurry and want a dependable mindless shave.

The Variant is excellent as well. Love the heft of it.

I don’t think you can go wrong with either if their profile meets your needs.

Top Bottom