What's new

Ikon SE razor coming out soon.

Bad news. FB said this will be delayed further due to mixed reviews. Get a G for a quarter of the price. More than worth it.

Bad news indeed. I like aggressive razors and I was counting on this to be my intro to SE razors using AC blades. As far as getting a "G"; well, not for me. I don't think injector blades hold a candle to AC blades and they are just as expensive if not more so. JMO and YMMV as always.

I have the first generation El Jefe and once you make sure the tabs rest toward the back of the baseplate, the blade aligns in the proper positioning. It looks beautiful when paired with the 90 mm matte SE iKon handle. It shaves wonderfully, especially smooth with a Kai mild blade. My shave this morning was as BBS and smooth as I get with the iKon Tech, one of my favorite DE razors. It is a shame the blade tabs were made too small, allowing for play in the blade until it is locked down, but this razor is an amazing SE razor and once they correct the tabs, it should be perfect.

I like the looks of this one, with the slimmer head. I honestly wonder why some other makers did not remove some material one either side of the handle post like this one to lighten and slim the head down.

Reading some of the posts, I am glad I missed on this first batch and prefer to wait until Greg gets the production kinks worked out and the head tolerances tightened up a bit.

That was my experience as well. It took a little fiddling around to get the blade seated to my satisfaction, but once that was done, El Jefe proved to be an excellent shaver.

I mounted it on a Maggard Razors MR1 handle and loaded a Feather AC Professional blade. The alloy used is quite a bit heavier than pure aluminum and this combination has a solid well balanced feel in the hand.

I found it to be somewhat more aggressive than a Mongoose or SE1 but not into Cobra/Rx territory. Of course, this can be adjusted via blade selection, YMMV and all that.

Once the blade tab issue is resolved this will be an awesome razor.

--Bob

I found it to be somewhat more aggressive than a Mongoose or SE1 but not into Cobra/Rx territory. Of course, this can be adjusted via blade selection, YMMV and all that.

--Bob

Interesting. So if I'm getting you right, of the following three razors you would rate them from most aggressive to least like this:

1. Asylum Rx
2. El Jefe
3. SE1

Is that your assessment?

Interesting. So if I'm getting you right, of the following three razors you would rate them from most aggressive to least like this:

1. Asylum Rx
2. El Jefe
3. SE1

Is that your assessment?

Pretty much.

1. Cobra Classic
2. Asylum Rx
3. El Jefe
4. SE2
5. SE1
6. The General
7. Hawk
8. Alumigoose 2

This is assuming that they all are loaded with a Feather Professional blade.

Of course this is highly subjective and represents only my opinion - YMMV. Also, I only have a couple of shaves with El Jefe and my opinion is subject to change.

These razors are all quite smooth, making aggressiveness more difficult to estimate.

Wow, I didn't realize I had 7 of these (The SE1/SE2 is one razor with two base plates).

--Bob

So Ikon sent an email within minutes of my ordering indicating that El Jefe has shipped already. So I need blades. So are the Feather Artist Club Super blades a good choice?

$20 - bad time to be on a restraint :bored:
The $20 price allows you to slip out of your restraint, and then pop back into your restraint. Best of both worlds. Pull the lever, you know you want to.

I would say that the Feather Artist Club Pro is a better bet, but others may have a better idea. The Pro is the blade I use on my ATT SE1 and I find it to be excellent.

I ordered one today for the hell of it. For $20 plus $5 shipping I figured why not give it a try. If nothing else it'll make a decent travel razor.

So Ikon sent an email within minutes of my ordering indicating that El Jefe has shipped already. So I need blades. So are the Feather Artist Club Super blades a good choice?

The $20 price allows you to slip out of your restraint, and then pop back into your restraint. Best of both worlds. Pull the lever, you know you want to.
You keep using that word, I do not think it means what you think it means...

I'd start with the Feather Professional, which I find to be plenty aggressive in all but a couple of these razors. You can always go to the Super later. Besides, the Pros are cheaper.

Or start with a sampler from tryablade to explore all of the options.

--Bob

I snagged one. My first AC razor.

Will this fit a standard threaded handle? I was planning on using my Rockwell 6S handle.

I snagged one. My first AC razor.

Will this fit a standard threaded handle? I was planning on using my Rockwell 6S handle.

I believe that Ikon uses a standard thread handle so my understanding is that it should fit.

I too grabbed one and will put it on my OSS handle. Little worried it may be too aggressive for me, but I'll gamble it.

I'd start with the Feather Professional, which I find to be plenty aggressive in all but a couple of these razors. You can always go to the Super later. Besides, the Pros are cheaper.

--Bob

I would say that the Feather Artist Club Pro is a better bet, but others may have a better idea. The Pro is the blade I use on my ATT SE1 and I find it to be excellent.

Thanks, should have blades just in time for El Jefe's arrival.

Top Bottom