What's new

Ikon SE razor coming out soon.

giftsandcare.com have started stocking the blem El Jefe head in Europe.

So I don't know if this means that they are still being made despite the design flaw...or if there's just a big pile of old stock to be got rid of.
Anyways, I bought another now [emoji3]

What handles are you guys fitting on your El Jefes?

My IKon OSS fits perfectly but none of my big generic handles will screw up tight with it....

The handle screw on the El Jefe appears to be a bit longer than is customary, and this could cause problems with some handles. The threads were a little rough at first on mine, but after applying a drop of oil and screwing a handle on and off several times they smoothed right up.

The handles available from Maggard Razors have sockets about 1/2" deep so they work just fine, and are well made and very reasonably priced.

$jefe5.jpg

Above, El Jefe is paired with a Maggard Razors MR1. This combination weighs in at just over 3 oz and is nicely balanced.

The MR1 retails for $14, so for $34 I have a razor that can produce a shave that compares favorably with razors costing several times as much.

--Bob

The handle screw on the El Jefe appears to be a bit longer than is customary, and this could cause problems with some handles. The threads were a little rough at first on mine, but after applying a drop of oil and screwing a handle on and off several times they smoothed right up.

The handles available from Maggard Razors have sockets about 1/2" deep so they work just fine, and are well made and very reasonably priced.

View attachment 710223

Above, El Jefe is paired with a Maggard Razors MR1. This combination weighs in at just over 3 oz and is nicely balanced.

The MR1 retails for $14, so for $34 I have a razor that can produce a shave that compares favorably with razors costing several times as much.

--Bob

Thanks Bob! I've screwed another couple of handles right up tight on the El Jefe head and now they fit too.

My 105g handle also fits and it's a really good match.
proxy.php

Ordered a second El Jefe head from giftsandcare because I love this razor so much and ha ha the Blem is a limited edition [emoji3]

Blast from the past and honestly one of the best threads on the Ikon El Jefe razor head that needed to be revived. I’ve had mine for a few years and it has outlasted some top tier shavers in my shave den, including the Asylum Rx. The blemished head gives it a character all its own and by default it stands as the only adjustable SE in my den. Place a blade back against the stops and its as smooth & easy a shave as a Brass General. Push it forward on those same stops and it transforms this into fierce whisker reducing assassin of the highest order yet, it somehow stays relatively smooth with the increased blade feel. I’ve used every AC style blade in the El Jefe and have received good to amazing shaves but, even though my preferred blade is the Feather Pro, in the El Jefe the Schick Proline is the definite winner in this one. Real smooth shaves with perhaps the best longevity in this particular set up over other AC blades.

A great shaver and one of the more unique SE razors produced. Not everyone’s cup of tea as it has a bit of the Dr. Jekyll & Mr. Hyde characteristic in terms of shave feel from one extreme to the other. But, for those that feel adventurous or are looking for a razor in the SE group that offers a more audacious shaver that can also be quite docile, if you come across one on the b/s/t or from a forum member, I would recommend one picking it up and see for oneself how unique yet satisfying this razor is in all of shave land.

Great shaves to all….

AC90FB2B-EE65-473D-808B-AD0C1BA1880F.jpeg

Great Writeup.

I've got an El Jefe in one of my secret razor stash somewhere, never ever been taken out for a first shave as yet on all these years. I tend to use Gem and Injector SEs more than I use the AC format razors and when i do I feel happy with the Razorock Hawk. I've got to put this on my priority list once I am done with Feb and March month long challenges !

Last edited:
Great Writeup.

I've got an El Jefe in one of my secret razor stash somewhere, never ever been taken out for a first shave as yet on all these years. I tend to use Gem and Injector SEs more than I use the AC format razors and when i do I feel happy with the Razorock Hawk. I've got to put this on my priority list once I am done with Feb and March month long challenges !

Thanks. I’d really like to thank the OP and the gentlemen that actually contributed their thoughts and experiences on this razor. They really added some excellent content with some very thorough pros & cons of this semi iconic and more so legendary performer. Give it a few shaves, I think you will be pleasantly surprised at how it goes about the business of removing whiskers deftly & efficiently.

Great shaves to you and please post your findings…. :thumbup1:

A first shave with ny El Jefe today. I've been off the grid for a while now due to q work assignment. Hence been pretty offline.

Now I thought I had carried the RR Hawk when I packed some limited shave stuff due to the head design being similar.

I ejected a shick proline blade and discovered that this is my El Jefe which was missing since I purchased it several years ago. I guess always overlooked it assuming it's one of the hawk heads. Where I am for the work assignment, internet is off limits save the weekend , especially for uploading streaming media or large files.i

On to the shave. Having read the notorious blade placement issues, I paid extra attention to it. I let gravity do the work. Held the cap so that the blade stops are horizontal and put the blade in so it falls all the way back on the stops. Tightened up the base plate and the Ikon bulldog handle.

Lathered up MWF with a Razorock 400 synthetic.

It was a wonderful 2 pass close and comfortable shave. The blade feel is perfect for a close shave.

I am unable to upload the sotd photo due to restrictions, however I had to come online and post my first experience.

Indeed a top tier single edge foe AC style blades.

Top Bottom