What's new

Ikon Razors

I picked up a Ikon B1 OSS (combination head) with the BullDog handle from Shave Nation. It came in the mail the other day.

Does anyone else shave with an Ikon?

I am going to test it out this coming week.

I used to own the B1 combo head and the B1 slant. The combo head was a little on the mild side, but what I really didn't like was that I would end up shaving with half a razor most of the time. The slant was okay, but for the price, could still not beat out my other slants at that time. I currently have an X3 slant which I adjust with a silicone O ring and it works a lot better than just the standard X3 head which was on the mild side.

I have 2 iKons and like both of them. I have a Deluxe DLC and an X3.

I currently have an X3 slant which I adjust with a silicone O ring and it works a lot better than just the standard X3 head which was on the mild side.
How do you do this? Insert the ring between the top cap and the blade?

I have 2 iKons and like both of them. I have a Deluxe DLC and an X3.

How do you do this? Insert the ring between the top cap and the blade?
Between the base plate and the handle. Another member did this originally to protect the head from the point of contact with the handle but found you have about 3-4 quarter turns of adjustment for the blade. Tighten it until it secures the blade and it is the most aggressive. Every quarter turn tighter makes it milder. I posted a thread a while back on it. Was considered blasphemy by the Shimmers.

Between the base plate and the handle. Another member did this originally to protect the head from the point of contact with the handle but found you have about 3-4 quarter turns of adjustment for the blade. Tighten it until it secures the blade and it is the most aggressive. Every quarter turn tighter makes it milder. I posted a thread a while back on it. Was considered blasphemy by the Shimmers.
I must've missed that thread. Thanks.

I have that razor. It's quite nice. The sweet spot is very specific on both heads. Also, it requires a bit more cleaning on all the surfaces as it tends to stain a bit (looks like rust on the threads and under the cap). A bit of preshave oil on those areas will help prevent that.

Great shaver and the handle is nice and heavy.

I got the B1 OSS with the DLC on it. So hopefully thst holds up and mitigates and water staining v

@BigJoe You'll enjoy it friend. Nice face feel, glide and balance. I have both the OSS and the slant in DLC and they are: go to, comfortable, every day drivers.

I've recently put together an iKon set, my first "modern" collection piece.

OSS, OC, Tech, and slant, all in B1 finish, driven on a Tradere handle. The OC is a good shave, much like the Gillette it copies. The OSS is subjectively somewhat more aggressive in exposure, but not at all unpleasant. The Tech is a dream- I like aggressive razors(Le Coq closed comb, shavettes, Watts) and simply a great performer. The slant is rather mild for me, but does very well on my neck, but overall only delivers a 6-8 hour shave (no roughage until 6-8 hours later). I like their products.

I have several Ikons the Long handled HP Open Comb and SB, the OSS, the SBS, the S3S, and the original slant. I love the heft as well as the quality of the Ikon razors. Out of all of them, I do enjoy the SBS.

I've thought about getting the B1 OSS (stainless/combination head) or the Shavecraft 101 (aluminum/combination head) but I don't have one yet. I've having trouble deciding based on two factors.

Aluminum v. Stainless. Aluminum is less expensive which is nice. I read about people stripping out the threads though due to the aluminum threads being softer than the stainless handle. I wonder, how often is that really an issue?

Is the combination head really a feature, or a gimmick? I've read several reviews that state they are the same on aggression. So, the idea to start with the open comb, then pare back to the milder safety bar doesn't really work since it isn't milder. Thus, wouldn't it make more sense to go with what you think you'd prefer, short comb or safety bar? Then again, sometimes I'm in the mood for an open comb, sometimes I'm in the mood for a safety bar, and the combination head would let me do that in one razor (though I think I'd mostly use the open comb side).

I'd love to hear what you think of your new razor as you use it, and how often you use both sides.

If you are really in a hurry and fairly forceful, or if you just plain wrench down on the head, yes, you can strip Al threads. If you take reasonable care of your things, it should not be an issue.

Having said that, I bought stainless, in the B1 finish. I've acquired several goodies, after a bit of a hiatus, so I haven't spent much time with any particular one. Hopefully someone else will chime in, but if you'll give me today & tomorrow, I'll take some time with mine and get back.

I have had several iKon razors and still have two. Had and sold a Deluxe OC and the Shavecraft 102 "slant."

Still have the Shavecraft 101 (in fact I bought a back-up head), and the SBS. I use the SBS more often.

I am interested in the open comb that comes with the "black" color finish, mainly because it looks similar to the Gillette "NEW" short comb which is one of my favorite razors.

Can someone who owns or have used both compare how they perform? If it is indeed like the Gillette "NEW" short comb ?

I have used both. The Ikon B-1 Deluxe Open Comb is a very mild, but efficient razor. I have to use sharp blades in it like Feathers to get it to perform for me. Mine suffers from a wavy blade issue just like my Weber PH. I find the Gillette New Short Comb to be rather prone to nicking, and somewhat aggressive. Others will disagree. OTOH, I am not a head shaver, but there is a Youtube Video of a head shaver using both and he preferred the Gillette. FWIW, I prefer my Feather AS-D2 to the Ikon.

Hey, Jeff,
I won't need two nights. Just finished with my OSS and Stirling Soap Co.'s Sharp Dressed Man. I randomly switched sides throughout the shave.
Short version: yes, the OC is more aggressive, like the LC New (or the Bostonian I have.) The CC side is straight Tech, very mild, reasonably efficient. The bite angle on the OC is fairly narrow, and I can lose full contact, if my mind wanders. All in all, if I could only have one "medium" razor, this would be a good pick. Hard to rough yourself up, regardless of what you do, but with the option to cut a bit closer when/if needed. YMMV, as always.

I have used both. The Ikon B-1 Deluxe Open Comb is a very mild, but efficient razor. I have to use sharp blades in it like Feathers to get it to perform for me. Mine suffers from a wavy blade issue just like my Weber PH. I find the Gillette New Short Comb to be rather prone to nicking, and somewhat aggressive. Others will disagree. OTOH, I am not a head shaver, but there is a Youtube Video of a head shaver using both and he preferred the Gillette. FWIW, I prefer my Feather AS-D2 to the Ikon.

Thanks for the info, I would have thought the ikon would be more agressive due to the weight, I may check out the shavecraft open comb since it's described as being a short comb.

Top Bottom