What's new

ikon razors, worth it?

are ikon razors any good? I noticed they aren't really talked about on here anymore. I am looking at the ikon b1 standard. does anyone have this razor? is it aggressive and is it worth it? whar are your thoughts on the b1 and other ikon razors? how do ikon razors compare to razorock's newer razors like the lupos in terms of efficiency and aggressiveness?

Generally speaking, no.

I have two.

There are better options nowadays. With better quality, better price and costumer support.

The only one I have is the Ikon Tek. It seemed kind of expensive for what it is. This one is super aggressive with lots of blade feel. It only gets used on a rare occasion. I agree with edw that there are probably better options now for the money.

I don't think the answer is that black or white. They manufacture some of the most legendary razors in the industry.

I own a very aggressive Ikon Tek and have no complains at all about performance or build quality. In fact, I had an issue with the thread of the top cap (it worked but was not 'perfectly smooth') and he sent me another one with no problem whatsoever.

You will find lots of threads online talking positively about Ikon razors. You will also find several complaining about their service, which does not reflect my anecdotal experience.

The only one I have is the Ikon Tek. It seemed kind of expensive for what it is. This one is super aggressive with lots of blade feel. It only gets used on a rare occasion. I agree with edw that there are probably better options now for the money.
I used a Tek as a daily driver for a while; being aluminum it got pretty beat up on the corners of the base plate and I ultimately had to file them down. It's aggressive to a fault, more blade feel than any other razor I've used, but it's GREAT for learning good technique.

There are absolutely better options, but the Tek is a very unique razor.

I like iKon razors, generally speaking, and have owned and used many of them in the past. This is all just my personal experience, but I will give you my impressions.

1) iKon Deluxe OC. This was a well made razor that shaved pretty well. The first iteration was fantastic, but subsequent iterations were not quite as good. I obtained a Gillette Deluxe OC and sold the iKon. But it was a good razor.
2) iKon S3S and Modern. These are "Pils-like" razors, and also similar to the Blackland Tradere. I like both of these razors. The Modern is milder, and the S3S is a dual comb. I still have the S3S and still use it in my rotation. Both of these were well made and shave wonderfully (if you like the Pils style razors).
3) iKon Shavecraft 101. This razor is one of my all-time favorites, and the ONLY RAZOR I have EVER bought a back-up for. I did that because, unfortunately, the threads are also made of the heavy aluminum alloy that the head is made of, and I worry that they will strip over time. If this one had stainless steel threads it would be a slam-dunk recommendation for every traditional wetshaver (with the exception of those who really like aggressive razors with a lot of blade feel). This razor is extremely smooth feeling on the face, with very little blade feel, and yet is fairly efficient. A real winner, in my opinion.
4) iKon Shavecraft 102. This one is a very mild tilted slant, made of the same aluminum alloy as the 101. I never got along with this one, but I think it was primarily because I have evolved to a shaving style that involves a lot of "Gillette slide" in it, and the canted head kind of defeated the purpose.
5) iKon SBS. Be careful! There are TWO DIFFERENT RAZORS that are called SBS. The original was CNC milled solid brass. This razor is a dual comb with a flippable baseplate. I owned it, and like it quite a bit, but after a while it didn't get much use, so I sold it (it has been plated and is now a real looker). This razor was only made in very small quantities. The SECOND razor that is called SBS is made of the heavy aluminum alloy and shares only the dual comb nature and flippable baseplate with the original. The head design and geometry is essentially otherwise completely different. It doesn't shave at all like the original. It shaves competently, though. Very mild. Much heavier than you would think it would be. I had one and, like I said, it shaved just fine, but it didn't do anything for me, so I sold it.

I have never tried the B1 you are talking about, so I don't have an opinion on it. What I can say is that iKon has made and still makes some very nice razors. The owner has a tendency to rub people the wrong way, and there are a lot of people who (in my opinion) judge the razors unfairly because of that.

The B1 Slant is excellent, just a step below the Wunderbar in blade-feel and 9perhaps) efficiency. The B1-SB is just a step below the Tek in aggression, but just as efficient, IMO).

I have the complete B1 set, and with minimal care, they still look new. Of them, only the Slant and SB are ones I am considering keeping.

RazoRock offers more styles, more efficiency options, and all SS, at (generally) the same price points. I say this, but will also admit, their razors are beautiful, but I'm only considering keeping my Wunderbar. Sooo...

You couldn't even type their name here at one point, it was censored for various reasons.

I'll leave it at that.

I have the b1 slant since it came out many years ago. It is still in the heart of my rotation. Medium aggression , it cuts through my beard at nearly any length. I’ve gone well over a week without shaving and it will plow through my grizzly stubble. Yet mild enough to use as a daily driver. Well I like variety, and now use injectors more, the icon is still one of my most used DE razors. And shows no signs of wear after all these years. I did have a problem once when I purchased another icon years ago and it was replaced immediately (it was the earlier version of their slant, which I replaced when the B1 came out) . So I have had no customer service issues. My only complaint with the slant, is that I do have to fiddle a little bit with blade placement. Not a problem but it is there.

are ikon razors any good? I noticed they aren't really talked about on here anymore. I am looking at the ikon b1 standard. does anyone have this razor? is it aggressive and is it worth it? whar are your thoughts on the b1 and other ikon razors? how do ikon razors compare to razorock's newer razors like the lupos in terms of efficiency and aggressiveness?
Are Ikon razors any good you say.
I was pretty sure many users would bash them.

I own 3. Ikon Deluxe open comb - the new black B1 one. Not the old grey one. A Tek, and an Ikon Shavecraft Short Comb. I consider all of them to be very good.

I got a B1 slant years ago back when they first came out. It's a good razor but the special coating has failed in spots. I think they have since changed to a different coating. As I recall, the company's owner turned many customers into enemies some years ago. I personally have never had any interaction with them, bought the razor from Shave Nation when they were also fairly new.

I was going to buy the B1 Deluxe at some point, but I've found a real NEW Deluxe at a very tempting price and decided to buy it instead. I know a few people who really enjoy some of the iKon razors and I also know a lot of people who hate the brand with passion for one reason or another, so buy what you like and see how it goes for you.

Oh, almost forgot! I also have an X3 slant. Very mild, smooth head.

I don't like slants, so I almost never use it. Need to get it up on the B/S/T soon. But not because it isn't a good razor. I just don't like slants.

I got a B1 slant years ago back when they first came out. It's a good razor but the special coating has failed in spots. I think they have since changed to a different coating.
I had that first version as well. And yes they did change the coating. The version I have now, I’ve had for many years without any signs of where.

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
@jonwilson - My most recent Ikon B1 Standard shave on 20220816:
20220816_153701~2.jpg
20220816_153933~2.jpg

The B1 Standard is quite efficient and provides a very good shave. However, in the US$125 or less price range, my preference runs in favor of the Rex Envoy and the Karve Brass SB-G. :)

Old Hippie

Somewhere between 61 and dead
I had two iKon razors; now I have only one. I bought a new X3 and put it through the Tilted Picnic a couple of years ago. For me; personal opinion; YMMV; yadda yadda...it wasn't that great. As a supposedly "differential" razor the coarse side was too fine and the fine side was not noticeably different. It was just OK in my estimation, so I put it back in the pool and someone else has it and I hope is enjoying it.

The other one is the Shavecraft 102 tilted slant. Again, bought for the Tilted Picnic, but mainly because it was one of the popular slants some time ago. I'm generally not all-in for tilted slants although I have used them successfully. I prefer helical slants and the more helical the better, preferably OC. That being said I really like the 102.

O.H.

Top Bottom