What's new

***Ikon OSS?***

Hello shavers. Just curious if any one owns and ikon oss and how they like it. Has any one compared it to the feather stainless? I just picked up a feather and now I feel I maybe should have bought the ikon instead. I like the idea of comb and bar. Thoughts?

First off, if you are new to wet shaving -- stick with the feather for at least 3 months. I started with a feather and have been happy with it. I don't have an Ikon so i can't give you a direct comparison, but after wet shaving for a bit, I too decided that I wanted an open combed razor and got a Joris as a gift. The Joris is nicely crafted, but the agressiveness of open combed razors is not for everyone, and I still use the feather more often. My feeling is that you really can't go wrong with the feather, especially if you are just starting out. Also as mentioned, you could easily sell it used for not much of a loss.

Nice collection there kbuzbee. So you like the oss the best of all three?

Thanks!

I do, the face feel is virtually identical to the H20. Balance, weight and handle feel vary and I swing between them, preference wise. Esthetics go to the OSS, for me.

Cheers,

Ken

Thank you Riot Grip and all others replying to this thread. I shaved today really slowing and methodically with the feather but feel I did not get BBS. I could still find stubble going againts the grain here and there and on the neck stuff like that. I took twenty minutes mind you. I did enjoy the practice though. I am just wondering if it is me or the razor. I guess I will continue with the feather and find out. I really appreciate your posts.

I ordered an OSS today, I hope this is the one to rule them all.

I hope it works for you as well as mine. I really like the OSS but I often rotate through my order of preference:
1. iKon OSS
2. Edwin Jagger DE89 with iKon Bulldog SS handle
3. 1959 Gillette Fatboy
4. 2010 Muhle R41
5. Gillette Tech

Often I just rotate through just the first two and don't make it down to the tech very often, but the OSS gets used most often.

I am just wondering if it is me or the razor.

The thing that helped me most with the Feather was finding the angle. The Feather, more than any other razor I've tried, requires you to nail the angle pretty much spot on. Miss it and you'll get nothing. Hit it and BBS is no problem (and it doesn't take any longer than any other razor, in general. The angle is steeper than most razors. 40°ish vs say 30°.

The upside to requiring such precise angle control is safety. It's VERY difficult to cut anything but whiskers with this thing. Some value this more than others:lol:

There have been a few folks around who gave up and sold their Feather after 2-3 shaves without (IMO) ever finding the right angle. I thought that was kinda sad.

Keep at it, you'll get there.

Ken

This video helped me a ton

That is a great explanation. The thing with the Feather.... All those other angles aren't available. It doesn't cut until you hit "the sweet spot" as he says, go further and you are back to not cutting. Most razors seem to tolerate maybe a 10° variation. With the Feather it's more like 2°:lol:

Ken

Thank you for all your replies. Getting better at the feather and enjoying the practice I must say. One thing is that practicing does not irritate the heck out of my face and neck thats a plus. I even practiced twice in one day.

I can't compare to Feather but I am really pleased with my iKon OSS. Very smooth razor. The iKon is often advertised as a more aggressive razor than the Feather. I like the iKon enough that I am considering one of their other models.

Is it difficult to get a BBS with an IKon OSS?

Top Bottom