What's new

iKon OC Plate with Feather AS-D2

Bought the plate on eBay for <$25. It's the one with the DLC coating. It's said to fit Feather razors as well as iKons. I'll try it out tomorrow with my Feather AS-D2 top plate and handle and the Gillette black blade in use. I'll report back the results. In the meantime, has anyone tried this combo?

Tried it this morning. The iKon OC bottom plate fits perfectly with the Feather top plate, and blade exposure is straight and true to my eyes. If the AS-D2 is too mild for you, but you like its weight and balance, and if you like OCs, this may be the ticket.

I got a BBS shave with no nicks or scrapes. First pass was especially efficient. Downside: The feel of the blade against my skin was less silky smooth than with the Feather top plate. But this may be a result of my Proraso Red soap with a little too much water. So I didn't get the cushioning I'm used to. Still, this could be a winner.

Alos, it's two-tone, like a 1959 Olds. If anyone is interested, I'll post a photo.

I've tried it. It makes the razor quite aggressive and adds a lot of blade feel. It's a good shaver if you've got the technique. To me it was more aggressive than the Ikon Deluxe OC by quite a bit.

This particular combination makes the razor approximate a New Improved, in my opinion.

I never got the hang of my New, but the AS-D2/iKon OC combo worked for me right away. So my first impression is that the combo is less aggressive than the New. I agree, though, that the combo seems to adds a lot of blade feel to the usual AS-D2 experience. I haven't tried the iKon Deluxe OC. My iKon OC is one of the original run (No. 42, if I remember). Again, as a matter of first impression, the combo is somewhat more aggressive and efficient than my old iKon OC, but the difference is not decisive.

More impressions to come.

Just use the Feather in stock form, when you hear the whiskers cutting, it is working. When you finally get the hang of it, it will deliver bbs shaves every time with no irritation or nicks.

Ikon made the latest top cap for their SB, Dual and OC to be interchangeable with Feather. And mentions that somewhere in their descriptions.

This may be only tangentially related, but my Ikon Deluxe OC has a messed-up top cap. Others have described this same problem. It looks OK but if you load a blade and look at it, on one side the blade is "wavy" (uneven gap; wider in the middle and narrower on the sides). I know the problem is with the top cap, because if I replace the iKon cap with a Gillette NEW cap or a Tech cap or the Feather cap, the wave disappears.

So, this morning I tried the Deluxe OC bottom plate with the Gillette Tech top cap. I could see that the gap was wider than it is with the full iKon razor. Gap looked about like that seen on a NEW Improved.

Shave was a little dicey. Very, very efficient. A lot of blade feel. Got two small weepers on the first pass (haven't had a weeper in over a month previously).

To my recollection, with the Tech cap it was more aggressive than it was when I used the Feather cap. Maybe tomorrow morning I'll fire up the Deluxe OC bottom plate with the Feather top cap again to make the comparison. What I really wish I had was a good iKon Deluxe OC top cap! I don't really want to buy another Deluxe OC head in hopes of finding a straight cap, though. Sigh.

Update after three shaves with the combo:

I should NEVER say anything about a shaving product after one shave. Two shaves later, I've decided that the combo is way more aggressive than my original iKon OC. I nicked my chin in three places yesterday and today--after no nicks for many months with other razors. Otherwise the shaves were efficient and close. So I'm not giving up, but I'm going to wait to heal before trying again.

Kingfisher, I'm sorry to hear about the QC problem with the iKon top cap. I've had no QC problem with iKon gear. Won't the seller replace it?

BTW, I don't have a 1959 Olds. I just remember my Mom & Dad's (powder blue with white trunk and stripes along the sides). The photo I'll post if anyone asks for it will be of the combo, not the Olds.

I tried the same combo for 4 shaves with pretty much the same results - a lot more blade feel and much more aggressive than the "native" AS-D2. In spite of using soap that is very slick with good cushion, it felt like the blade was almost chattering on my skin. I didn't really like it and it has gone into the "experiments that didn't work out" box.

BTW, I don't have a 1959 Olds. I just remember my Mom & Dad's (powder blue with white trunk and stripes along the sides). The photo I'll post if anyone asks for it will be of the combo, not the Olds.
:001_smile I knew that, but I was still kind of hoping you had the Old's. I'd kind of like to have a birth year car, but I don't even have a birth year razor yet.:biggrin1:

Top Bottom