What's new

iKon El Jefe vs Schick Dial

IMAG0445_1.jpg

In the left corner, weighing in at 94.3 grams, (((El Jefe)))...

In the right corner, weighing in at 31.8 grams, (((Schick Dial)))...

Heavy weight takes on the light weight. I used the Dial on level 8, wide open with a Schick blade. The El Jefe was loaded with my favorite and only blade I use, a Schick Proline.

I not a fan of the light weight or the long handle. As @TobyC would say, long handles are only good for garden tools. The Dial performed great. Stroke for stroke the Dial was just as efficient as the El Jefe.

I sent my 1912, aka Little beast, out on a search and destroy mission on both sides and came up with very little stubble on both sides.

Both razors were smooth, the extra width of the AC blade isn't a real benefit for me, but it doesn't hurt either.

I would love to have an El Jefe head that was made for the Schick injector blade as an option, the El Jefe is outstanding though.

The Schick injector blades were about $.92 a blade while the Schick Proline blades were about $.40 a blade. Proline has an injector blade that might be cheaper, I haven't priced them though.

Both are great, I would definitely reach for the heavier El Jefe though.

Never tried an El Jefe. I would agree that the dial handle is too long. I feel like the head would be very nice if it were on a better handle. I like extra weight, but don't need it, I find my E type Injector to be fantastic. How would El Jefe stack up to it?

Thats a pretty good amount of weight for a 3" handle. I personally like some weight in a handle. Well let me rephrase that on certain types of razors. Never shaved with an El Jefe but I see a lot written about them. How does the shave stack up to the MMOC for example? I've read were some guys say it's a very aggressive razor. Of course I think you and I are on the same page and prefer the word very efficient better as a description. It looks like a bull of a razor and I like that!

No matter what I have tried, I have not been able to get the blade loaded in the El Jefe so it doesn't destroy my face.

How does the shave stack up to the MMOC for example?

Paired with a Schick Proline, it puts up a really good fight. The only thing holding it back is it's not an open comb. After using the El Jefe, the MMOC will pick up very little stubble left, not even worth mentioning, it's that good.

I use them both at a shallow angle, they're both extremely smooth and efficient. Of course, the AC blades cost more. $.40 a blade for the Proline, and $.15 for the GEM SS PTFE.

The MMOC, Streamline, MMCP, 1912(little beast), El Jefe/proline, and 1914 are all I can use now, not in any order.

No matter what I have tried, I have not been able to get the blade loaded in the El Jefe so it doesn't destroy my face.

My guess is you used it too steep!

Make sure the blade is seated back and the cap seated back on the baseplate. Ride the cap and focus on the blade cutting stubble, not on the blade feel on your face. Should be smooth as silk! Light touch.

The actual angle of the blade should be at the same angle when shaving with a GEM razor.

Im with you on the MMOC and the 1914! They are just great shavers and that's just a fact that IMHO can't be denied.
I don't have the 1912 you have as I remember that thread when you first got it and I'm like do I have one of those so I went right into the den checked everyone of mine but nope, none looked like your little beast! It's kind of funny. You named your's that and I had named the Charcoal level 3 OC " The beast" after the shave off against the Timeless 95 OC. So I kind of know what you mean by that but it's not out of fear that I called it that but more outta respect.
It kind of reminds me of the old days of racing cars. I never owned one but I drove for another guy a few times who owned a 427 AC Cobra and that was a little beast to handle but I loved and respected it.

Make sure the blade is seated back and the cap seated back on the baseplate. Ride the cap and focus on the blade cutting stubble, not on the blade feel on your face. Should be smooth as silk! Light touch.

The actual angle of the blade should be at the same angle when shaving with a GEM razor.
Good advise!
Do you have a 1914 Eveready lather catcher? Reason I ask is that is one tough razor to load a Gem blade in. I put it in and wether i load it way at the back or put the blade up to the safety bar or in the little dimples which is I believe is where it should sit it always pushes the blade so far forward as I'm closing it that it goes beyond the safety bar or it just starts sliding out the sides. I eventually get it but it's more like a roll of the dice rather than doing the right thing and it loading properly. Just curious

Good advise!
Do you have a 1914 Eveready lather catcher? Reason I ask is that is one tough razor to load a Gem blade in. I put it in and wether i load it way at the back or put the blade up to the safety bar or in the little dimples which is I believe is where it should sit it always pushes the blade so far forward as I'm closing it that it goes beyond the safety bar or it just starts sliding out the sides. I eventually get it but it's more like a roll of the dice rather than doing the right thing and it loading properly. Just curious

I have two 1914's. One has a big lather catcher, the other small. One has big blade stops, the other small. No issues loading the blade, I put the blade on the stops and snap it closed.

What's interesting is, while closed, if I take my finger nail and push back on the blade, I can get one of them to spring back and then it returns to the stops. The other one doesn't move at all. It provided an efficient shave though.

Sounds like you have small stops. Don't let the cap snap down, control the close of the cap as best you can.

I have two 1914's. One has a big lather catcher, the other small. One has big blade stops, the other small. No issues loading the blade, I put the blade on the stops and snap it closed.

What's interesting is, while closed, if I take my finger nail and push back on the blade, I can get one of them to spring back and then it returns to the stops. The other one doesn't move at all. It provided an efficient shave though.

Sounds like you have small stops. Don't let the cap snap down, control the close of the cap as best you can.
Thanks I'll try that technicque. Thank you!

Thanks I'll give that a try and see if it takes care of the issue. :thumbsup:

Thanks for the advice! I'll give it a try soon.

Top Bottom