What's new

Ikon B1 Standard Razor Sweet Deal - Should I?

OK. I've heard a few things about Greg, so lets try to keep this to the razor if possible. A little bit about your feelings towards Greg is OK, but I'm really interested in the product. I can get the Ikon B1 Standard for $90, brand new in its box from a reputable vendor. These normally cost $125. The only catch is I have to take it with an OSS handle. The Standard head is similar to their Shavecraft Tech, a very popular aggressive aluminum head, but made of stainless steel with Ikon's B1 black coating. The OSS handle is stainless steel. If anyone has experience with this razor tell me what you think. If you have experience with other Ikon razors let me know. Thoughts on handles, including the OSS, might help, too.

I'm unfamiliar with the B1, but $90 for that combo is probably a good deal, IMO. My experience with iKon aluminum DE heads has always been positive - SC101, SC102, X3.

The OSS handle is one of Ikon's better handles. Nothing fancy, good grip and balance. I had a B1 standard and it really wasn't anything special at least no better comfort and shave than any other $30 razor.

I have an Ikon B1 Standard on an OSS handle. Does a good job. If you're happy with the price, by all means get the razor. I don't think that you'll be disappointed.

I have an Ikon B1 Standard on an OSS handle. Does a good job. If you're happy with the price, by all means get the razor. I don't think that you'll be disappointed.
I do think it is a good price. I've never used or even held an Ikon razor and when I tried to do research I found more about Greg than the quality of the products, unless I went way back. Back then the razors were viewed by many as a high quality instrument. Now a lot of the reviews that I find are for Shavecraft heads. So I really feel I am taking a chance if I jump. I do think you are right though about me probably not being disappointed as I have liked most of the razors, blades, creams, and aftershaves that I have tried. Thanks.

I've had nothing but excellent experiences with iKon razors and Shavecraft too. No customer service problems either.

I've had nothing but excellent experiences with iKon razors and Shavecraft too. No customer service problems either.
Thanks for your reply. I am leaning more and more towards getting this razor. It is a very good price. I like stainless razors, so I'd rather get the B1, but the Shavecraft line seems to be well received.

It is on the way. $90 shipped for a brand new Ikon B1 Standard w/OSS handle from ManCave. Regular price is $125 and my RAD is flaring up so it is worth a shot. I like aggressive razors, check, and I like stainless, check. It seems to me that for all of the ugly conduct by Greg, his razors and handles are still high quality products. I will know soon enough. Researching this product was a little frustrating so I'd like to thank the gentlemen who shared their thoughts.

The B1 Deluxe (open comb) that I ordered last week arrived today. Looks great. I'll try it tomorrow and report back.

The B1 Deluxe (open comb) that I ordered last week arrived today. Looks great. I'll try it tomorrow and report back.
Thanks. Would also like to know what handle you got. I figure mine should be here by the end of the week.

Thanks. Would also like to know what handle you got. I figure mine should be here by the end of the week.

My B1 is a Deluxe (OC) with the OSS handle.

This morning I shaved with it and a fresh Gillette Black blade and MdC soap. Excellent results and pleasant experience. OC heads generally are more efficient than SBs but not quite as smooth. The B1 OC head is no exception. I like that the head is big enough to cover the blade side tabs. It's still maneuverable, though, especially around ears and nose. Weight balance between handle and head works well, but I'd like to try a somewhat lighter handle, like an iKon Bulldog or ATT Kronos. The shiny black finish is pretty. I hope it lasts.

My B1 is a Deluxe (OC) with the OSS handle.

This morning I shaved with it and a fresh Gillette Black blade and MdC soap. Excellent results and pleasant experience. OC heads generally are more efficient than SBs but not quite as smooth. The B1 OC head is no exception. I like that the head is big enough to cover the blade side tabs. It's still maneuverable, though, especially around ears and nose. Weight balance between handle and head works well, but I'd like to try a somewhat lighter handle, like an iKon Bulldog or ATT Kronos. The shiny black finish is pretty. I hope it lasts.
Thanks. That all helps. I am also getting the OSS handle. I would have probably ordered the Bulldog if I had a choice, but the vendor that had the clearance deal only had them with OSS. Interesting comment about ATT. I have, and love, the Atlas handle which is their shortest and it is quite heavy. I would expect the Kronos to be slightly heavier due to it being a little bit longer. I always figured Atlas was similar to Bulldog and Kronos was similar to OSS.

Big disappointment upon opening the package and inspecting the razor. The safety bar is visibly bent on one side and slightly bent on the other. The handle is really nice, and the B1 coating looks good, but this one is going back.

My camera hates close-ups, but you should be able to see the bent right half of the safety bar. Not such a good deal when it looks like that.
DSCN1035[1].JPG

Bummer! I can't tell from the photo, but, if it's bad, it's bad. I've had this experience with Merkur but never with iKon.

Bummer! I can't tell from the photo, but, if it's bad, it's bad. I've had this experience with Merkur but never with iKon.
Look at the safety bar from left to right. As you move your eyes to the right the bar takes a downward turn right at the halfway point. The right side, where the light is reflecting off of the safety bar, is farther down off of the bottom of the cap.

This might be a little clearer. Go from the top of the pic to the bottom. That would be left to right if the razor was standing up on the end of the handle. See how the one slot appears to be right at the edge of the cap, but when you look at the bottom/right side slot you can see part of the baseplate that is under the cap.
DSCN1062[1].JPG

Communication from the vendor and from Ikon has been very prompt and polite. No complaints there. I do wish they had another head to send me, but the fact that they are out is probably a good sign regarding customer satisfaction with most of the razors sold. The handle was really nice and Ikon seemed to be genuinely surprised by, and unhappy with, the bend on that bar.

Top Bottom