What's new

The lkon thread

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
Thr Dart !! I had a shave a few hours ago and I find myself touching my face so often. Its a super BBS. I am still learning that razor and find that riding the guard and then moving from steep to shallow as need be, this razor goes from super smooth to super aggressive and can be used in q variety of attack angles making it a very useful tool !

Amen to this! +1. :)

I just noticed that B1 Standard has four notches on the corners of the base plate and four corresponding protrusions on the top cap. I imagine the effect of these contributes to the chatter reduction of the blade in a slant-like manner, torquing the blade at the corners. Very cool.

Does any other razor to this, do you guys know?

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
Definitely family. :)

Mine is the Rudy Vey Butterscotch Beehive with Shavemac 24mm 2-Band Silvertip. :)

2-7-21.R41.RV-D01.Vitos.640.JPG

Mine's a 26 mm D01 2 band.

Rudy Vey butterscotch beehive of course.​

Thanks for answering my question about this rare razor. Took me a while to see how it resembles a NEW, but I finally got it. Interesting razor. If I ran across one at a good price (good luck on that, right?) I might buy it. Without the nice fat handle I wouldn't consider it.

Happy shaves,

Jim

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
View attachment 1219627
Mine's a 26 mm D01 2 band.

Rudy Vey butterscotch beehive of course.​

Thanks for answering my question about this rare razor. Took me a while to see how it resembles a NEW, but I finally got it. Interesting razor. If I ran across one at a good price (good luck on that, right?) I might buy it. Without the nice fat handle I wouldn't consider it.

Happy shaves,

Jim

You are most welcome, my friend. :)

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
20210225_212746~2.jpg

Razor: Ikon B1 Standard (Timeless Ti TRH8 Handle)
Blade: Personna Israeli Platinum Red (4)
Brush: Simpson The Duke 3 Synthetic
Bowl: Captain's Choice Copper
Lather: Martin de Candre Fougère
Aftershave: Brut Classic

The Ikon B1 Standard is highly efficient without being 'aggressive'. It provides superb results every time I use it. :thumbup:

My Ikon Tech is getting use again. It was getting dusty. I didn't have my technique as dialed in last time as I do now. Getting some really impressive shaves with it. Nothing else shaves closer, this razor is a work of art. I have gotten used to its unique face feel. What's more, I'm getting great shaves with blades I don't like in my other razors, the ever mild Rockwell blades. But they're so exposed in the Ikon Tech that they provide really smooth shaves. I can't believe it, I'm daily shaving with the Ikon Tech.

I've heard talk of the Tek being very "efficient" which most often has a good amount of overlap with the term "aggressive".

Since no Gillette Tech was ever more than the top end of mild as far as aggression goes, how is this head a Tech homage?

What are users opinions/comparisons of this head vs. original Techs, or copies like the Feather AS-D1/2?

Also, is this a stainless head, or plated mystery metal? if stainless, cast or machined? 304 or 316?

TIA
Aluminum head. This is the most aggressive razor I have, though I've never had an R41 (but that may change because I'm eyeing the stainless version). It shaves me so close that even my stubble grows in less quickly. At first I didn't like the face feel, but I've gotten used to it. The razor feels like it's sticking to your face. Use a slick wet lather and all is good to go. Every blade shaves well in this razor, so I tend to stick with milder blades because I don't need something uber sharp to scrape my face everyday. I'm daily shaving with this baby. As efficient as this razor is, it's very comfortable on my skin with the right blades. It's by no means too aggressive. But I like aggressive shavers, so make of that what you will. I have a Gillette Tech somewhere that I never use. I like vintage Gillettes because they're old school, but I just find them lackluster and too mild most of the time.

Hi!

Recently I’ve acquired ikon B1 slant with oss handle. I’m still new to wet shaving and using DE’s (2 months in) however quite liked the idea of a slant so went down the rabbit hole .

quick question for you more experienced folk - does shaving with slant differs much to using standard DE? I mean in the way that you handle it . Is there anything I should pay closer attention to / watch out for ?

I’ll most likely pair it with Astra SP blade , since I’m quite familiar with it. Don’t want to start a new trial blade with first time use of a new razor

Old Hippie

Somewhere between 61 and dead
quick question for you more experienced folk - does shaving with slant differs much to using standard DE? I mean in the way that you handle it . Is there anything I should pay closer attention to / watch out for ?

Welcome to the wonderful world of slant razors! There shouldn't be much difference in how you use it; you'll just get better shaves. :)

One thing to point out is that just like using any new-to-you razor, you'll want to be a little slower the first few times to get a feel for how aggressive it might be. Aside from that, have fun!

O.H.

Welcome to the wonderful world of slant razors! There shouldn't be much difference in how you use it; you'll just get better shaves. :)

One thing to point out is that just like using any new-to-you razor, you'll want to be a little slower the first few times to get a feel for how aggressive it might be. Aside from that, have fun!

O.H.
Thank you! Thought it would be about the same but it’s always better to make sure haha!

definitely will take it slow! As long as it’s less aggressive than blackbird then I should be fine! Will be interesting to see how the handle feels whilst actually shaving too - since both my Rockwell 6s and blackbird got shorter handles

I can only add that your side burns may look a little "off" -- I can never seem to line up the razor right to get them straight :confused1 when I use one of my slants. Also want to recommend becoming a BOSS: B.O.S.S. Brotherhood of Slant Shavers Lots of info on slant razors and shavers, plus it's always fun to be a BOSS!!!
Haha noted! Although that shouldn’t be an issue - somehow I always preferred my sideburns under slight angle!

I’ll make sure to check it out, thank you!

Hi!

Recently I’ve acquired ikon B1 slant with oss handle. I’m still new to wet shaving and using DE’s (2 months in) however quite liked the idea of a slant so went down the rabbit hole .

I’ll most likely pair it with Astra SP blade , since I’m quite familiar with it. Don’t want to start a new trial blade with first time use of a new razor

That is one awesome slant razor. Use it like a normal DE, no special technique required.

The only place you may notice the difference is when you level your side burns with a slant razor. 😉

Used it first time today - quite impressed, nice and smooth shaver. Paired it with Astra SP, blade I’m quite familiar with.

Weight wise - I do tend to prefer heavier razors so that is right up my street. Both blackbird and Rockwell 6s that I own I find them on heavier side however the handles aren’t as long. So far that didn’t make much difference - will see how it feels during few next shaves. Picked up couple of small weepers due to slight carelessness (well one of them was due to doorbell surprising me whilst concentrating!)

overall did enjoy that shave quite a bit! Can’t wait to give it another go. (Can my facial hair grow a bit faster please? Haha)

I bought a Ikon Tech head i always wanted to try it but held off from buying it for a long time.
20210424_121805-01.jpeg

IMG_20210425_031452-01-01.jpeg

The fit & finish is top quality all round, it was difficult to find a handle to pair with it that I liked, because with the head being so slim in profile it didn't match well with my thick handles, then I found my iKon wave handle it was a perfect match as it's not too slim or too thick.
20210425_002050-01-01.jpeg

IMG_20210425_032505-01.jpeg

Perfect blade alignment
20210425_003035-01.jpeg

20210425_002839-01.jpeg

20210425_173235-01.jpeg

Now to the shave, I used a Treat 7days Platinum blade & one of my shave creams that provides a nice cushion to the lather, the first pass WTG went well, there was a lot of blade feel but it wasn't menacing I found it best if i used short strokes, the razor effortlessly mowed down 4days of growth, the 2nd pass XTG I got the angle right I rode the top cap & it was much more easier to manoeuvre around my face, I shaved ATG only on certain areas of my face, a little touch ups & I was done, barring 1 small nick the shave went well, 15 hours later my face is still marble like smooth, because this razor shaves so closely i will use this razor on 3-5 days growth, it really done a excellent job, I do prefer it over my Muhle R41, I find that I can wield the Tek better, I find it a little more smoother compared to my R41 & a touch more efficient, I'm glad I bought it.

Top Bottom