What's new

Ikon B1 open comb deluxe

Hey guys new to the forum eand have been wet shaving for about 2 years. Tried all sorts of razors. I recently ordered an ikon b1 open comb deluxe handle to put on my pvd coated fendrihan adventurer handle. Has anybody used this head? And if so hows the shave? Im regreting not getting an x3 slant because i had one in the past and loved it but unfortunantly cant hold on to anything.

Well, welcome to the Forum, then. I certainly didn't think the iKon Open Comb Deluxe would become my go-to razor, but it has. I have two of them - one in matte silver and one in B1 black. I had read somewhere that the B1 coating made the glide across the skin "slicker" but I don't know if I have found that to be true.

I have, and have had, several mid-30s Gillette Deluxe NEWs and thought it would be fun to have a modern interpretation. One of its attributes that appealed most to me is the coverage of the blade tabs - they disappear under the cap. Otherwise, it looks very much like a 17mm NEW Deluxe, on which it was modeled. I like iKon handles very much, and have three of them, but my OC Deluxes are hooked up to Triad handles, and I like the setup very much. For the last seven months the OCs have cycling through a collection of late '60s and early "70s Wilkinson Sword blades.

How does it shave? Very smoothly. I use a shallow angle and there are only a few areas that require additional buffing. I find the iKon OC mild enough to use every day, and still efficient enough to knock down a couple of days' growth if I have lazy weekend. Best of luck.

Tom

upload_2018-3-8_20-36-35.png

Meant to add this above: far left is the B1 OC, second from the right is the matte silver OC, between them is the mid-30s NEW Deluxe.

Hey guys new to the forum eand have been wet shaving for about 2 years. Tried all sorts of razors. I recently ordered an ikon b1 open comb deluxe handle to put on my pvd coated fendrihan adventurer handle. Has anybody used this head? And if so hows the shave? Im regreting not getting an x3 slant because i had one in the past and loved it but unfortunantly cant hold on to anything.

I love both my iKon Deluxe OC and my New Deluxe Tuckaway. Two of my favorite razors. I hope you like yours as much as I do mine.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Hey all. I’d love to try an revive this thread as I have a NEW DeLuxe 17mm that I really enjoy but am looking for a backup/modern interpretation. I’ve heard that the iKon DeLuxe OC is an almost identical replica of the NEW DeLuxe. I read the above gentlemen’s comments but I’d be interested in hearing how others compare the iKon DeLuxe OC and the NEW DeLuxe 17mm heads? Thanks!

I'd be interested in hearing about a comparison. I recently got a New LC, and I really like it. But finding a reasonably priced SC has been a taller order. I'd be open to the Ikon if it's a close approximation.

I have the Ikon B1 OC and it is my favorite OC. I like it better than my any of my vintage Gillette OC's. The shaves are just smoother and very close. I also have the Ikon X3 slant. I get great shaves from both razors.

I should note none of my Gillette OC razors have been re-plated and the lack of plating may be contributing to shaves that not so smooth.

Sent from my LG-H932 using Tapatalk

@mcqueen6 I have both a 17mm Gillette NEW Deluxe as well as a recently purchased iKon B1 Open Comb Deluxe. Seeing as how it's OCtober, I don't mind doing a comparison review for you.

@TADIII What's the razor on the far right in your picture?

@J 5 I think I may have an extra Gillette NEW Short Comb. I'll private message you if that's the case.

@mcqueen6 I have both a 17mm Gillette NEW Deluxe as well as a recently purchased iKon B1 Open Comb Deluxe. Seeing as how it's OCtober, I don't mind doing a comparison review for you.

@J 5 I think I may have an extra Gillette NEW Short Comb. I'll private message you if that's the case.
That's a heck of an offer, even if you don't find it. Thanks!

@Kai Thanks! OCtober...nice! I like what you did there.

Not my creation, just maintaining the tradition. I learned of OCtober and SEptember from shaving forums. If you have a lot of razors, it gives you something to shake up a usual rotation, or an excuse to use razors that might otherwise not see very much usage.

I plan on participating this month, but I need to do at least one shave with my newly acquired .84mm Game Changer, just to make sure there aren't any defects before the product return window closes. I'll tag you in the review once I post it. Should be within a week or so.

~Kai

Sorry to necro-post. I don't know how I missed this five months ago; however, the razor on the far right of the pic (Post #3 above) is the ATT M2 - in the picture it is hooked up to a 2014 UFO Colibri.
Again, apologies.
Tom

Top Bottom