What's new

iKon B1 Deluxe and Gillette NEW Deluxe

I was reading a discussion regarding the different vintage Gillette razor models and it came to my attention that a lot of people are regarding the Deluxe model as one the better shavers that Gillette made. Since it's one of the ''few'' non ultra rare Gillette models that I haven't tried yet, it cought my attention and I asked a few questions about it and a few people told me that if I really want to get one of those, I can just buy the iKon B1 open comb version, which an exact copy of the Gillette NEW Deluxe, but it's made out of stailess steel and it has some black coationg on it.

So basically a cheaper, more durable and much easier to find alternative that offers pretty much the same shave for those who are not insisting on having the vintage one that much (like me).

After looking around the internet for that particular iKon model, I saw that some websites offer only the head, which is even better, since I have a couple of great and lonely stainless steel handles that can do the job perfectly instead of adding yet another handle to my collection. But then I saw that I can buy the baseplate and the top cap separately and I got that crazy idea that I can just buy the baseplate only.

So I was wondering if the top cap of the 3 piece versions of the Gillette NEW Deluxe models are basically using the standart top cap of the NEW LC and also, if the dementions of both Gillette Deluxe and iKon B1 are 100% exactly the same, wouldn't be possible to use the top cap of my Gillette NEW LC on the iKon baseplate and pull yet another of my ''200IQ'' cheapskate schemes to work yet again and get an even better deal?

But before I pull the trigger on the baseplate and later find out that it's not completely interchangeable with the NEW LC top cap or that the top cap of the LC is slightly different than the top cap of the NEW Deluxe, I have to ask these questions first before I made myself a complete bafoon and force myself to buy a iKon B1 top cap as well.

So my questions to those who have (or had) both razors are - is the NEW Deluxe top cap the same as the NEW LC and is the IKon version an absolute 1:1 copy of the Deluxe and will the top cap of a Deluxe/LC fit perfectly?

mr-bean-waiting.gif

I don't think the iKon B1 is an exact copy of the New Deluxe. I know that years ago iKon put out a razor it called the "Deluxe OC" and it was pretty darned close, if not exact. On that particular model, I believe that the top caps were interchangeable (can't guarantee that the shave was exactly the same, but they were usable.

I had the iKon Deluxe OC for a period of time, and then I bought a Gillette New Deluxe. They shaved similarly, although I liked the New Deluxe slightly better, so I sold the iKon. Later, I acquired an RFB New that I preferred to the New Deluxe, so I sold the New Deluxe, too.

I'm not sure whether the B1 is the same as the older "Deluxe OC." Maybe somebody else will come along that knows more about the B1. I have never owned one.

I do like my New De Luxe Criterion. I paid a fair price for it on BST. It is a three piece, but works like a two piece that you can take the knob out of. I also have a big hole New De Luxe with a gimpy cracked handle. It came with a short Tuck Away handle. I am not in a rush to do anything about it though, because I prefer my Rotbart Mond RFB. The Criterion and the Rotbart are both staying here with me though. I have never tried an Ikon razor.

I'm seeing more and more people liking the RFB slightly more compared to the NEW Deluxe and since I already have a RFB I might skip the Deluxe. I used to think that the New Improved and the Deluxe are similar in terms of rarity, but I see tons of Improved razors everywhere, while the Deluxe doesn't show up very often and it's way more expensive as well.

R

romsitsa

Just from photos the Ikon offering can’t be similar to the New Deluxe.
For me the Rfb is perfectly identical to the standard New, the heavier head made no difference.
Never got along with any New Improved, had a couple.
Didn’t like the Deluxe Red&Black an New SC. We got along with the later one when I changed the handle to a heavier one.
The Deluxe Big Boy is a pretty good razor, but imho the Barbasol is better.

It depends on personal taste, so when you see a Deluxe in your price range, get it.

View attachment 1414349
View attachment 1414350
The ikon is longer. The head is slightly different. My new deluxe isnt the 3 piece variety. My neck and handle are together

From what I see, I doubt that the any Gillette top cap would properly fit the base plate of the Ikon B1 Deluxe. Thanks for sharing this photos, it was really informative and helpful as well as saving me the trouble of buying only the base plate of the Ikon :D.

If you look at the photos, the B1's baseplate is slightly wider (~1mm), and it's cap slightly narrower as well, which produces a fairly mild shave. I find the News to be modestly aggressive and highly efficient and the B1 OC to a step behind in both categories. It isn't a "bad" shaver, I just like something with more blade feel.

I have the complete B1 set (OC, OSS, Standard and Slant). I find the Standard to be a step up from the New in aggressiveness, the Slant to be highly efficient but with less blade feel than the Wunderbar, and the OC and OSS plates to be almost indistinguishable in handling and comparatively mild (i.e., modestly efficient but thoroughly uninspiring to my taste).

The iKon also has 'sharper' teeth. Who they don't smooth them more or make them more rounded is beyond me.
I have never enjoyed the feel of sharp, pointy open comb teeth on my face.

The iKon also has 'sharper' teeth. Who they don't smooth them more or make them more rounded is beyond me.
I have never enjoyed the feel of sharp, pointy open comb teeth on my face.

Same here. Every time I see people saying that the Gillette Old Types are fantastic and that they made it perfect from the first time i'm like: are these people on drugs or something or am I using something else? Also, i've seen tons of modern open comb razors that very spiky and I still to this day have no idea how people not only shave with such razors but also find them to be fantastic.

R

romsitsa

Same here. Every time I see people saying that the Gillette Old Types are fantastic and that they made it perfect from the first time i'm like: are these people on drugs or something or am I using something else? Also, i've seen tons of modern open comb razors that very spiky and I still to this day have no idea how people not only shave with such razors but also find them to be fantastic.
It depends on the finish. Some Gillettes (can insert almost any wintage OC here) were plated with sharp edges right after cutting, other were polished more properly.

It depends on the finish. Some Gillettes (can insert almost any wintage OC here) were plated with sharp edges right after cutting, other were polished more properly.

That might be, but i'm talking about modern oc razors as well. There are plenty of toothy and spiky oc razors that I would never buy. My Old Type was gold plated originally, but when I bought it the gold finish was almost gone, so I used autosol to polish it, but never liked the way it shaved and I have no idea what others see in these types of razors. The British and US NEW LC are different though. The tip of the teeth doesn't touch the skin at all and the side that does is rounded and the I get smooth and comfortable shaves. As usual - YMMV.

I purchased the Ikon Shavecraft OC a couple months ago thinking it would shave like a Gillette New Deluxe, but found it be a different beast. Like the B1 Ikon's site describes it as a Med-Aggressive shave. The Shavecraft head looks like it was inspired by both the Old type and SC with more blade feel. I have to pay a lot more attention during the shave than with my New Deluxe. It does provide a smooth shave though.

Here's a couple pics with a blade in both.

20220227_140222.jpg
20220227_135836.jpg

I purchased the Ikon Shavecraft OC a couple months ago thinking it would shave like a Gillette New Deluxe, but found it be a different beast. Like the B1 Ikon's site describes it as a Med-Aggressive shave. The Shavecraft head looks like it was inspired by both the Old type and SC with more blade feel. I have to pay a lot more attention during the shave than with my New Deluxe. It does provide a smooth shave though.

Here's a couple pics with a blade in both.

View attachment 1416793View attachment 1416794
That is a New Improved. This was designed for the old three hole blades. The New Deluxe is completely flat bottomed and was designed for the new blades. I have never shaved with a New Improved. The Shavecraft does appear very similar and it could be the design for that particular razor.
2022-02-2716.22.134923700532909173880.jpg
2022-02-2716.24.438350888146341150704.jpg

Top Bottom