What's new

If you won the lottery, what would you buy / or do?

I'd pay off my student loans, place money in a teardrop account for my parents and brother, I'd go house shopping or build a dream home (nothing celebrity big but would contain my dream desires) and it would be on 50-100 acres.

That's it for me!

Travel- India, Greece, Italy, England, Ireland, Scotland....I'd see it all and I'd would give my kids the ultimate learning experience of seeing and touching history. Take them to the Taj Mahal, take them to the Pompeii ruins, to the coliseum, to the acropolis, the palace ruins at Konosos and Santorini; to the Tower of London and to Machu Picchu- and as a bonus, I'd get lots of inspiration for my writing. LOL

Convert a large portion of it to something other than federal reserve notes. Make large anonymous donations to homeless and children's charities. Buy a sherman tank and a fire truck (yeah, I'm still a kid at heart).

Invest a large percent of in into a diverse stock portfolio and maybe do some angel investing. A nice beachfront house in the south pacific somewhere as well as some land out west or maybe southwest. Lots of fun stuff for my wife and kid as well as making sure my parents are set up for the rest of their lives. Send my father on a series of african safaris...

Travel. Eat. Live.

I'd change my appearance and move to another town! Lottery winners are usually hounded by casual acquiantences who suddenly become best friends who expect you to share a large portion of your winnings with them. Charities, political parties, and churches would be my next groups to avoid.

I'd like to say I'd retire, but I really like my job. After 2 weeks of not working, I'd be chomping at the bit to come back. I think I would continue to work, but on my own terms (I'm self-employed already, so I could just modify my schedule to my liking). Certainly would pay off all debt and live more comfortably. I would most assuredly by at least one of my dream cars (Ferrari GTO, Aston Martin DB9, among others). Lastly, I'd give to certain charities that I believe in, mostly pet-related ones like Humane Shelter or SPCA.

* Pay off student loan.
* Call my mom and dad and tell them they can quit their jobs if they want. Same with my father and mother-in-law.
* Quit my job, will find some sort of part time work after awhile... if I had tens of millions in the bank, I'm not going to work every day.
* A new car/truck. Actually probably good quality used ones.
* Open a stings studio of some sort for my wife (if that's what she wanted) so she could quit her job as a teacher.
* Buy an awesome bit of land, nothing too big... somewhere around 200 acres of timber/river bottom. Hunting land.
* Build a house on it.
* Distribute to immediate family. No "friends and cousins" or anything like that.
* Get someone who knows what they're doing to manage my "wealth", but not like the guys NBA and NFL players seem to hire. No funny business. I'm smart enough to know I'd need help, but not dumb enough to get taken.
* Set up college fund for up to four children (no kids yet)... depending on how much money I would probably set some up for nieces/nephews (no n/n yet either).
* Hunt and make babies.

Last edited:
As a matter of fact, I just won the lottery last week! Three hundred and ten somolians.I bought a Hart and a half. I used my change jar for the other half.

Hmm. Depending on how much was there, I'd certainly spread the wealth around my family a bit.

I'd almost definitely send a bottle of the "good" stuff to some of the B&B friends I've made.

I'd get platinum grills for my dog and myself.

I'd pay to send Ouch to Institut Villa Pierrefeu.

Talk to a money man and get myself set up for life. Then, take a vacation. I would probably also get a 66 GTO convertible- a 66 because that was the only year that had the louvered taillights.

on edit: I would not quit work- health insurance is far too pricey. I may take a couple extra unpaid vacations a year, though.

Those are beautiful! What color?

funny thing my wife and I had this conversation last night

-Pay off all our debt
-Set up trust fund for Michael(our son)
-Put some in a portfolio
-Buy 150 acres in east Tennessee and put our dream home on it and have my ultimate shave den!
-Pay off all the medical bills from Dad's many many many many stays in the hospital
-Give at least a mill to Michael J. Fox's Parkinson's charity
-Move my father to one of the best hospitals in the world(wherever that may be)
-Then take the rest and have a crap ton of fun. Mine and her dreams cars come from this too

People say that playing the lottery is a waste of money. Nonsense, it is purchasing a 5 min $1 dream.

What would I do- well it kind of depends on how much I win. If I win $300 million, I'd only see maybe $75 mil from it.

Buy about 10 acres and build a nice house with a HUGE warehouse/garage.

Pay off every house in the family.

Buy a few thousand acres for a hunting club/ shooting range with clubhouse and gun shop.

I would rent every room on a cruise ship and take EVERYONE that I know on a cruise. Cost, about 1 million

NOT buy an expensive car, but restore old cars and go to car shows until I am too old to hold the wrench. Probably even start a business in that field.

Silent partner motivated individuals in small businesses. Probably lose the rest doing so.

Start college trust funds for my 3 nephews. Invest the rest in stocks/bonds. Continue to work. Yeah, I'm that boring but young so I couldn't imagine not working anyway.

1st, pay off the house. 2nd, take my wife on a honeymoon. We've been married 24 years and never had a honeymoon. 3rd, plan to retire early.

Top Bottom