What's new

If you were to purchase a Gillette Adjustable 195 - Best date code for quality

If I was to buy one for looks I'd skip the standard Fat Boys and buy an Executive Fat Boy instead. Only thing is you will wind up paying significantly more for one especially if it has the original case and/or packaging. As far as performance goes for Fat Boys you can depending how the adjustment thread is done under or over clock the adjustment knob to make them more or less aggressive for the adjustments.

To clock the razor either way adjust to 1 or 9 then depress the spring on in the adjuster knob. You should be able to turn the knob past the stop to 1 from 9 or 1 to 9 changing the gap adjustments for each setting in that range.

Although it seems they are always for sale somewhere, I think the D3 195 is less common than most of the rest of the run. I don't think 3Q '58 was a nationwide distribution, and it was produced and released concurrently with the D3 Executive (almost the same razor!), so I believe there are fewer of them out there. I have a D3 and a D4 that Garrett Smallwood nicknamed Grody and Rhody several years ago.
I broached the subject of limited production (in competition with the Executive) with Glenn Conti a couple of years ago, and I think I remember that he concurred.
Also, the D1 Red Dot is more of a Toggle without the toggle than a 195.
Anyway, Grody (D3):
1587728949700.png

and Rhody (D4, with handle replated in Rhodium):
1587729034047.png

Tom

Although it seems they are always for sale somewhere, I think the D3 195 is less common than most of the rest of the run. I don't think 3Q '58 was a nationwide distribution, and it was produced and released concurrently with the D3 Executive (almost the same razor!), so I believe there are fewer of them out there. I have a D3 and a D4 that Garrett Smallwood nicknamed Grody and Rhody several years ago.
I broached the subject of limited production (in competition with the Executive) with Glenn Conti a couple of years ago, and I think I remember that he concurred.
Anyway, Grody (D3):
View attachment 1091217
and Rhody (D4, with handle replated in Rhodium):
View attachment 1091218
Tom
Hey Tom, thank you for sharing.. The D3 1958 195 in my opinion is a very significant razor in wet shaving.

Just shaved with one of my D4's set at 5 after using an Aristocrat Jr. for the past few shaves. Hard to tell the difference between the shaves, but if anything the D4 at 5 was perhaps smoother.

No question in my mind, 1958. The first quarter that it went into national production is marked D4. It has a bottom plate that can be unscrewed to take the razor apart for cleaning. That plate was later changed to a crimp on plate that cannot be removed without the possibility of damage.

Sorry to be a dummy, but I'm still trying to work my around the enormous number of razor models and variations. Are you referring to a Fat Boy or a superspeed. I put 1958 and D4 into eBay and only came up with superspeeds. I am interested as i really like the idea of being anble to pull it apart and clean it out real good myself!

garyg

B&B membership has its percs
Sorry to be a dummy, but I'm still trying to work my around the enormous number of razor models and variations. Are you referring to a Fat Boy or a superspeed. I put 1958 and D4 into eBay and only came up with superspeeds. I am interested as i really like the idea of being anble to pull it apart and clean it out real good myself!

I'm guessing it refers to the Fatboy, bear in mind that any EBay search is only as good, or honest maybe, as the seller's description. I'll bet there are several Fatboy D-4's up at auction today, but either not identified as such or without listed date codes.

And that takedown on the earlier versions (I think at least some E codes were made that way) is much better than the workaround for disassembly purposes, though the later models can be taken apart

Ok ... reading thru this thread has been real helpful. Im amazed at how much i picked up on the second read!

The D4 razor is not identical to the later iterations, cosmetically the black stripe below the dial is thinner and mechanically the bottom plate unscrews and no doubt there are other differences as well.

So do all the "D's" have this same plate that can be unsrewed? And was it D1 - D4 ... and after D4 it starts back at E1, E2 etc etc

D1 was the Red Dot Fatboy. D3 is the first standard 195 Fatboy production date.

So the D2 was the bottom dial? ... or did they also make "regular" FatBoys marked D4 as well?

Meh.. I have my go-2 person for this type of work.

Perhaps you could share who that "go-2" person is along with some pics of his/her work. It would be most helpful to others that also need to get similar work done. ... otherwise the "Meh" is pretty meaningless.

Got it! So again, does that mean that the only D2's were the bottom dials?

I'm guessing it refers to the Fatboy, bear in mind that any EBay search is only as good, or honest maybe, as the seller's description.

Thank you for helping to clarify that. I figured it all out after the second read of the thread. The confusion came because i couldn't find any Fat Boys listed as D4. The only listings related to D4 were superspeeds which made me think that i had missed the point of the thread. But then again, its hard to find anything listed here on the Aussie eBay so that was no surprise i guess.

And that takedown on the earlier versions (I think at least some E codes were made that way) is much better than the workaround for disassembly purposes,

So it's possible then that some of the E codes had that same plate with the screws that allow for easier strip down? Does anyone know when the definitive change to the crimped plate occurred?

Ok ... reading thru this thread has been real helpful. Im amazed at how much i picked up on the second read!

So do all the "D's" have this same plate that can be unsrewed? And was it D1 - D4 ... and after D4 it starts back at E1, E2 etc etc

So the D2 was the bottom dial? ... or did they also make "regular" FatBoys marked D4 as well?

Perhaps you could share who that "go-2" person is along with some pics of his/her work. It would be most helpful to others that also need to get similar work done. ... otherwise the "Meh" is pretty meaningless.

Got it! So again, does that mean that the only D2's were the bottom dials?

Thank you for helping to clarify that. I figured it all out after the second read of the thread. The confusion came because i couldn't find any Fat Boys listed as D4. The only listings related to D4 were superspeeds which made me think that i had missed the point of the thread. But then again, its hard to find anything listed here on the Aussie eBay so that was no surprise i guess.

So it's possible then that some of the E codes had that same plate with the screws that allow for easier strip down? Does anyone know when the definitive change to the crimped plate occurred?
Please spend some time with Glenn Conti's comprehensive site:
As with all things Gillette, there are anomalies, overlaps, and different changeovers at different plants, so, just be aware.

Tom

R

romsitsa

Hello,

while D3 Executives are quite numerous, Fatboys are seemingly scarce form that quarter. There were no Fatboys in D2, at least not even one popped up.

Adam

Please spend some time with Glenn Conti's comprehensive site:

Thanks for the heads up ... Lots of great information on there and i did get my questions about the date coding answered. Unfortunately no information on there about whether the bottom plate with screws extends into the E1 and E2 series. I will keep on hunting for the answer.

garyg

I believe at least some of the E dated ones had a screw fitting at the bottom ... Will check when home later & see if I have an example

garyg

Ok, I have two (2) E-1's with the screw out at the bottom, and also a E-4 with the same feature. So the earlier takedown extends at least through 1959. F-4 has the crimped on part, as does my G-2.

Last edited:
Meh, only referred to one persons comment, "search the forum for his name and you'll see his results and reputation." It's really a matter of preference/trust whoever you wish to send your gear off to be worked on!

Top Bottom