What's new

If you were me, what's the next DE I could try?

Dear gents in this forum,
After being a wet-shaver for a couple of years,
I own the following DE at this moment.
ATT SSR1/SSH1/R2(aluminum)/S2/SE1(aluminum)
RR Hawk v3 OC/GC84 Jaws/Baby Smooth(aluminum)

To be honest, I am satisfied with this collection.
When I need a quick shave, RR Baby Smooth gets its turn.
When I can pay more attention, ATT SSR1/R2/S2/SE1 gets their turns.
When I want to shave more closely, RR Hawk v3 OC/RR GC84 Jaws/ATT SSH1

Thanks a lot.

JCarr

More Deep Thoughts than Jack Handy
I was very impressed with the Karve baseplate and head in brass... so much so that I ordered it in open comb. It's currently my favorite daily razor. I just received a notice yesterday that the open comb is enroute. The price for the brass is reasonable. I just bought the head to reduce cost. I put it on a handle I had already purchased.

You have all the razors you need so stop there.
If you want a collection, there are numerous Gillette vintage razors I can think of; Old Type, New, Super Speeds', Fatboy and all the other adjustables in the gang, etc.
If you got some stainless steel fever, how about the Edwin Jagger 3ONE6 or check this one; Worlds Finest Safety Razor | Overview | First Shave Report - https://www.badgerandblade.com/forum/threads/worlds-finest-safety-razor-overview-first-shave-report.597635/

Except for originals and their copies and clones, different razors shave differently, sometimes a lot sometimes only a bit differently. I try to buy razors which shave very differently than the ones I have to see if the differences improve my shaving experience. I read this and other forums and reviews when I get in the mood to buy and compare what is out there to what I already have. If you want to devote the time and effort ( and money ) the search can be interesting and the new purchases fun to try. Some of those new purchases will become regulars in your rotation, some you may end up selling.
I
OTOH collecting vintage razors is a whole ‘nother thing. Many of them are made of very long lasting materiels and many shave as well as they did when new. The styles are often different than any modern razors. Again a bit of research will give you enough information to start that journey.

Or you can just stay with what razors work for you and satisfies your shaving experience.
Of course there are always blades, soaps and creams, and aftershaves to explore!!

While it is a good collection you have, it is missing my RAD-killer: iKon X3. I have been cured of RAD since 2017.

Time to try a traditional straight razor. Or, if stropping & honing doesn't appeal, a Feather DX with a mild blade (I'm not a fan of ultra-sharp blades in a shavette).

Even if you eventually decide it's not for you, you'll learn a lot about shaving.

After a straight, safety razors all look a bit samey - although it is nice to have a mild one for a fast get-out-the-door shave.

Dear gents in this forum,
After being a wet-shaver for a couple of years,
I own the following DE at this moment.
ATT SSR1/SSH1/R2(aluminum)/S2/SE1(aluminum)
RR Hawk v3 OC/GC84 Jaws/Baby Smooth(aluminum)

Thanks a lot.
Several years ago, I was where you are now in your DE razor journey. I would recommend a vintage Gillette as you next razor. They're great, well made razors and will impress you with the type of products the US manufactured in past years before disposable razors became dominant. The world of vintage Gillettes which are easily available is vast. Everything from the 1904 Double Ring, the 1930s Aristocrat, the Super Speeds to the Adjustables and everything in between. This morning I shaved with a 1936 Aristocrat (TTO and open comb). Something ever so cool about getting a great shave from a razor way older than I am.

Top Bottom