What's new

If you have multiple brushes...

List your top 3 brushes, in order!

I've become a brush-a-holic...and just curious as to what other gents think.

Randy

Randy,

1. Simpson PJ2 Super

2. SMF 1
3. Edwin Jagger Best (tied with silvertip - however since the best is cheaper - I threw it down)

Keep in mind however - I have 10 or so brushes sitting new, pretty and un-used, so the list *COULD* change. I think the PJ2 is in a league of its own however (which is why it is spaced above) so I think it'll be hard to knock it down from its position.

joel said:
Randy,

1. Simpson PJ2 Super

2. SMF 1
3. Edwin Jagger Best (tied with silvertip - however since the best is cheaper - I threw it down)

Keep in mind however - I have 10 or so brushes sitting new, pretty and un-used, so the list *COULD* change. I think the PJ2 is in a league of its own however (which is why it is spaced above) so I think it'll be hard to knock it down from its position.

Somehow, I could have guessed your response!

Thanks for the input. As you know, the PJ2 is at the top of my list to acquire!

Randy

Randy,

Of course i do not have a top three....... with so many brushes to choose from , i somehow lost the ability to differentiate which is my favourite; it depends on several aspects, which i already mentioned in another thread:

-my mood: do i want a quick lather with a small brush or a luxurious one with a huge brush like a Savile Row 3132 or 3332....
-one day beard growth or more like in the weekend?? more beard growth demands a stiffer, compacter, rougher brush
-shall i go Simpsons this day, Plisson or Rooney
-or shall i use one of my more "ordinary" brands........
-which brush haven't i used for a long time????

Oh well, fill in yourself............

It's like owning 80 cars, amongst them Ferrari's, Maserati's, Lamborgini's, Bentleys and Rolls Royces; but also Fords, VW's, Opels, Mercedes, Porches;

I think that a man who owns so much expensive cars doesn't have a top three; it depends on his "mood" and his goal for that day in which car he's going to drive....same counts for shaving brushes more or less i guess....

Note: this post is by no means intended to sound "arrogant"or something like that......:001_rolle :001_rolle

Peter

For me this was easy. Shaving Blog, et. al., have converted me to the smaller brushes.

- Rooney #1 finest
- Trumper I.B.9. best badger
- Kent BK4
- C&E travel brush by Jagger
- Plisson Plexi Cristal 16 (now retired)

Best of all - the smaller brushes I now like to use are substantially cheaper than larger brushes. However, this has not saved me much money but does leave more $ for other diversions incident to this and/or other addictions ... great Single Malt Scotch, etc.:001_rolle

I truly like them all! I trade or sell the ones I don't - so I rather mirror Scotto's answer.

I just use the next up in the rotation based on if I'm using soap or cream that day.

Well this is easy lol

1. SMFII
2. small, unbranded pure badger brush. I don't know the knot size, but the brush is about as big as a Burma Shave brush
3. Proraso/Omega #48 chrome boar brush

The softness and the way the SMFII retains heat cannot be beat. But I also like my little prickly pure. Oh, these are my only 3 brushes of course. At this stage though, I feel the collection is complete.

I could probably do without the boar. I know lots prefer them for hard soaps, but I think the pure grade badger whips them up faster and better. Eventually (not now), I might give away these two brushes and get a Shavemac pure in a knot size matching my SMFII, 24mm I believe. That way I can have the two extremes and they'd both fit on my stand. I don't see the point in trying a Super grade....never been much for moderation, night and day differences are more appealing to me :biggrin:

1) Rooney Style 3 small finest
2) Simpson CH2 best
3) Merkur Vision super

****Honorable mention****
SMFII

1. Rooney Style 1, Super, Small - awesome brush

2. Kent BK2 - grossly underrated

3. Shavemac 23mm Silver (22579) - somewhat overrated. It's so dense and holds so much water I'd venture to say more is not always better!

John

S

shavingrace

1: Savile Row 3128 (a truly luxurious experience; unbeatable value)
2: Simpsons Chubby #1 (outstanding small brush with very dense bristle knot)
3: Kent BK4 (lovely soft brush with beautiful handle)

Regards,

Phil

1. Simpsons Chubby #2 super (once I got the hang of it, this is an excellent, dense, thick, firm brush with soft tips)

2. Kent BK4 / Vulfix 2233 (tie- very similar brushes with lush, flexible hair)

3. Shavemac 28mm super

**Best for traveling without much sacrifice: Simpson Wee-Scot best badger

1. Trumper 3 "chubby" super badger daily since 1987

2. The art of shaving travel brush

I have another Trumper on order to keep in the shower for head shaving

1) Crabtree and Evelyn Pure Badger Ivory Travel Brush by Edwin Jagger

2) Crabtree and Evelyn Pure Badger Ivory Travel Brush by Edwin Jagger

3) Crabtree and Evelyn Pure Badger Ivory Travel Brush by Edwin Jagger

I just rotate them to keep them fresh.

I only have three brushes so this is an easy task for me to complete. I promis to buy more soon:

1) Shavemac 102
2) Shavemac 22579
3) Simpson Major Super

Cheers,
Jeff

hello randy,

1 - savile row 3118 (have this one)

2 - savile row 3120 (don't have this one...yet)
3 - savile row 3122 (don't have this one...yet)

thanks,
mike

Currently owning only 3 brushes- so this listing will change in the future:

1. Savile Row 220; silvertip and heat retention.

2. Savile Row 208; badger- scrubbilicious.

3. Omega Boar; love the size!

Marty

I'm also a very modest 3-brush man:

1. Plisson Euro white 10 ebony handle: soap brush (the right size to swirl in the wooden soap bowls without making a mess - densly packed and quite stiff brush)

2. Plisson Euro white 12 (faux) burled walnut: cream brush: bigger knot, slightly softer

3. Wilkinson pure badger brush: cheap black badger travel brush (does a nice job with a small tub of proraso or my tabac soap stick)

Gentlemen, 'there are shaving brushes and then there are Plissons' (Plissons advertisement)

Top Bottom