What's new

If you have fine and thinning hair do you use conditioner?

I've read articles saying don't use conditioner, some saying use leave in or just apply it at the end of the hair. My hair is thin and starting to recede. What do you guys think?

Chef455

Head Cheese Head Chef
I think if you're going bald it'll happen with or without conditioner.
Alas, I agree with @Dave-the-rave in my limited experience on this issue. My only experience is that mine is indeed thinning and I don't think there is anything O can do to STOP the inevitable. I imagine there are things I can do to delay it, but meh.

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
I have a semi-edumicated guess at something that you could try. When you are sitting reading, watching TV, etc, try this: massage your scalp, fairly deeply. DO NOT SCRATCH IT! Use the balls of your fingertips, possibly with olive oil, and pay particular attention to the thinning areas. My training is as first a licensed Cosmetologist for 40 plus years and later a retired RN.

My theory, not originally my own, but one of my Cosmetology Skool instructors, is that hair follicles die from lack of blood flow. Is your scalp particularly tight? Tighter than say, it was 30 years ago? That was her theory, that as we age, some of us get tighter scalps. Anyway, give it a shot. You can't hurt the balding by doing this, and if all you do is strengthen your fingers, at least you may increase your reach at playing piano!

But be certain to not break the skin of the scalp, bruise yourself, etc... Pretend you are giving a RELAXING back rub to someone you like.

Best wishes, Dave

FarmerTan

Thank you. I'm going to find a cheap shampoo and forget the rest.
I was at a "Hair Show" once and the guy "teaching/demonstrating" on the stage was talking about how salt was the first ingredient in shampoo, and how it's basically a detergent, etc.... Basically explained that in a 12 ounce bottle of beauty supply product, 5¢ of the cost was the chemicals inside, the rest was packaging and advertising, etc.... He was telling us all this because as I recall he was selling scissors! LOL!

But there really is little difference in the $1 Suave and the $25 bottle the cute lady that just finished cutting your hair sold you. IF you have a healthy scalp that is.

As a nurse, I looked at hair as part of a physical assessment. Hair like straw: do they work outside in the sun, or do they have something "organic" going on inside them?

We are really rough on our bodies. We get older, and still eat and drink like we did in Kollege. Our 30" waist becomes a 36" and we have no idea why we are having trouble tying our own shoelaces!

We stay up late and get up early.

And we wonder why our labs come back from our physical worse EVERY year and we are losing our hair. I look at hair like a septic system's leach field: everything eventually shows up there.

I will say this: the stuff that Paul Mitchell sells is the ONLY professional products I buy for my own hair. It's just plain good stuff. If a person is after a "leave in conditioner" that gives gentle hold to their hair, his (if I spell it right!) Awapuhi stuff is nice. I use his Tea Tree Special Shampoo when my scalp issues flare up.

I never sold products when I owned my shop, because I just ended up giving stuff away. I mostly just bought stuff in bulk. But I think his Tea Tree stuff is over a hundred bucks a gallon now, my cost! I'll just be picking it up at Meijer now in the pint bottle, since I can't write it off on my taxes anymore! Retirement is good!

FarmerTan

Whether you have thinning hair or a lion’s mane you should keep it conditioned.
Yes, but with what? You need to remember, it is dead. The scales on a hair shaft are what allows your hair to get tangled. So what do you use to make those scales lay down? Nature's solution is sebum (oil) that most of us wash away EVERY SINGLE DAY! We in the States are so hung up on smells, appearance, etc....and that's a good thing! I spent the majority of my life feeding myself in that "beauty industry".... but it's mostly a scam. If I'd have had the guts to go to Hollywood at 18 instead of staying in Podunk I'd have been a dead millionaire by now, and you would NEVER have had the pleasure of my company on B&B !

I believe Lucille McGillicuddy Ricardo hit upon the solution to thinning hair. It worked so well, her husband managed to maintain a thick head of hair for years! 😁

I quit buying shampoo and conditioner and just use a bar of soap now, I can't really tell a difference
from when I was using a conditioner so i just skip that step. I use a gel after and that kind of thickens
the hair.

Too late for me.
Me too. But I still smear conditioning shampoo on my dome. I mean what have I got to lose?

E319E9FC-6541-4279-AFAE-C35D819185AE.jpeg

Last edited:
I think the point is that not using conditioner will make your hair "poofier" when it dries, thus maximizing the fullness of your hairdo. Conditioner tends to make the hair lay flatter. I don't think it has any effect on what your genetics have decided your future hairline will look like. Give it a shot, but bear in mind that this is kind of a combover trick. It might fool people from a distance, but be careful not to make yourself look ridiculous out of fear that people will see you're balding.

Top Bottom