What's new

If you had to use it, what would be your preferred bar (bath) soap to lather with for your shave?

Looks promising.

D712EE21-FF10-4697-987B-F59503B7B3FB.jpeg
53E0DC02-1A83-4286-86FD-85E2816615FB.jpeg

Dove because I've used it and it makes a decent lather with a brush. Ivory was actually promoted as a shave soap at one time but I don't find it to lather as well as Dove with a brush, but it works well enough without a brush.

A blend of 2/3d's Dove Men+Care and 1/3 Ivory. Actually tested (posted on this) a 50/50 blend and it made a decent shave soap. Adjusted blend is where I would go based on the test results. Dove provides long lasting lather with Ivory for more slickness.

While decent I still prefer actual shave soaps including my blends. Note that when using Dove for superlathering with actual shave soaps I take the amount way down to 15-20% of the total with excellent results.

Shaved in the shower with various bath soaps as a kid. I think that could have been during the track 2 years. Wasn't smart then, isn't smart now. I don't shower in the sink and I don't shave in the shower. Bath soaps are not designed to be good shaving soaps, they are designed to remove dirt and oil from your body but not lube your skin. People gonna do what they gonna do.

Eric_75

Not made for these times.
I picked up a bar of Yardley English Lavender at a local dollar store today. I'm going to shave off a bit and use it for my next lather. We'll see how this goes. I'll also be using my newly acquired 1946 Gillette Ranger Tech for this shave. Looking forward to it!

I tried regular Dove soap a couple times just for fun..lathered well with a brush, and was able to get a couple decent yet not comfortable shaves with it. Just didn’t have enough slickness for my liking that you get from an actual shave soap. Haven’t tried the Men’s Care versions of Dove soap, some are marketed to be used as a shaving soap so I would assume those work better and have more slickness adding ingredients.

I’m going to try Pears glycerin soap sometime. I use it to wash my face before I shave and it lathers up fantastic with just your hands, interested to see what a shaving brush can do.

rbscebu

Girls call me Makaluod
I’m going to try Pears glycerin soap sometime. I use it to wash my face before I shave and it lathers up fantastic with just your hands, interested to see what a shaving brush can do.
I have tried SR shaving with Pears Transparent (India) glycerine soap. It lathered very easily but didn't have the slickness need for SR shaving. It may be suitable for "safety" razor shaving.

I use Pears Transparent (India) every morning to was my face before lathering. It works very well at removing any oils on the whiskers to allow them to absorb water.

I was out of town recently and picked up a bar of Green Tea Rose bath soap as well as a puck of the new Shave soap from from Dollar Tree and decided to do a side by side comparison.

The bath soap made a thick stable lather which was surprising indeed. I think most of us shrug the idea of bar soap shaving as being for rookies mackaskistics, but the truth is that some bar soaps can provide a great shaving experience but just like with shave soaps they are NOT all created equal. But man the shave with the bar soap had a great scent with a very slick stable lather and am still shocked. The truth is there are plenty of options out there that work great if one is either willing to have a honest experiment, or on a strict budget perhaps.

Top Bottom