What's new

If you had to guess, how many people do you think hone razors today?

Slash McCoy

I freehand dog rockets
Maybe 200-300.
The rest are still trying to figure out how to set the bevel.
LOL! That might not be exaggerating by much! I was of course counting anybody who even maintains their own edges, not skilled edgesmiths who can do it all.

my guess.... 1,334,426 people on planet earth. meh, in the entire universe? now, that's another question...but i digress.

I would guess 10% of straight users hone their razors successful with another 20-30% aspiring to become honers but stay unsuccessful.

I would guess 10% of straight users hone their razors successful with another 20-30% aspiring to become honers but stay unsuccessful.

Are you saying 90% of straight users are sending their razors out then if they are not honing successfully?
I think that number is way off.
I think anyone who uses one regularly will learn to hone very quickly instead of sending them out. It not only is inconvenient, it becomes expensive in the long run compared to many methods. With information at your fingertips now it is more likely to be pursued.
If you are willing to shave with a straight then those same people would not back away from honing IMO. Only those horribly unsuccessful will continue to send them out, at least for a while.

I think someone should set up a survey (I don't know how)
How many hone their own - how many send them out.

Last edited:
Are you saying 90% of straight users are sending their razors out then if they are not honing successfully?
I think that number is way off.
I think anyone who uses one regularly will learn to hone very quickly instead of sending them out. It not only is inconvenient, it becomes expensive in the long run compared to many methods. With information at your fingertips now it is more likely to be pursued.
If you are willing to shave with a straight then those same people would not back away from honing IMO. Only those horribly unsuccessful will continue to send them out, at least for a while.

I think someone should set up a survey (I don't know how)
How many hone their own - how many send them out.
Just a guess buddy. My caveat was honed successfully, many users hone on 8K and live with the results not knowing any better. Others hone on fancy jnat, cuticles that is shave-able but not great. That does not imply 90% send their razor out for honing.

Let me put is this way. What % of user honed edges would you consider shave ready to your standards?

Just a guess buddy. My caveat was honed successfully, many users hone on 8K and live with the results not knowing any better. Others hone on fancy jnat, cuticles that is shave-able but not great. That does not imply 90% send their razor out for honing.

Let me put is this way. What % of user honed edges would you consider shave ready to your standards?

I don't think what I consider shave ready has anything to do with it.

The post was "how many people hone razors" Not "how many hone razors to a specific level" How would you quantify that?

If you are honing a razor and shaving with it, then you are in the 'People who hone razors' category.

I would agree with that^^^. Now, does use of a pasted strop count?

Hmmmm.
I don't use pastes so don't even know if its possible to go forever with pastes alone but I don't think its possible.
If the answer is no.. then no.

Honing infers forever to me.

Never having to have anyone else work on a razor other than you, no matter how you get there should be considered honing IMO.

I would guess one out of 1000 shavers in the developed world use a straight razor, and 4 out of 5 hone their own razors. So I will say one billion shavers in developed countries, therefore one million straight shavers, so about 750k who hone their own razors. Honing to include guys who do nothing more than refresh their edges on a finisher. That's my WAG.
Those numbers seem reasonable.

Top Bottom