What's new

If you had to choose only one razor from your collection, what would it be?

Many of you have have shelves full of razors and probably use them all. While others have only a couple.
My collection consists of: A Merkur 34C, ‘76 Super Speed, a Valet Autostrop, gold tech, and a couple cheapo DE razors. I will be deploying in January for 3 months and will probably only take one. So I think for me it is the Super Speed. What about you?

I like to consider myself somewhat of a minimalist. I’m not really, but compared to the gentlemen here I am. I currently have three razors, but I have had over a dozen over that past few years since I discovered safety razors. My three are the Merkur 38 (this is the first one I ever bought), a Gillette New SC, and a Gillette red tip. For me, the New is clearly in third place (I know many on B&B love it though). It’s a really close call between my Merkur and red tip, but I think I would give the nod to the Merkur. It’s just a great looking, feeling and performing razor that I know I could use for 100 years. It’s really funny when I think about my journey into safety razors, soaps and brushes has brought me all the way back to where I started.

Tough choice but of my 4 DEs, I'd have to choose my '55 A-2 Red Tip. It's probably the most effective razor I have and it's deceptively gentle - even with a Feather it feels like the blade isn't even touching my skin but the whiskers still get blasted away. It's also my only vintage. The Feather Portable gives surprisingly good shaves too, considering it's compact size and relative cost when I bought it (I think I paid $12). I'd hate to give that little guy up. My others could be easily replaced.
Jack

Tough decision. My English NEW is a favorite but vintage injectors are hard to beat. I think I'd have to "cheat" and smuggle a few razors along!

I've come back round to my vintage Gillette razors. In particular the British Aristocrat Jr. or the British Rocket HD 500 or MD 500. All have proven to be truly great shavers especially with a Feather blade.

Top Bottom