What's new

If you had to choose one of each shaving item to use for the rest of your life, what would you choose?

My question to you is as follows: You have to make a choice. You get to choose one of each of the following categories that you have to use for the rest of your life. You don't get them for free, so keep cost in mind.

Whats your choice of:
Razor
Blades
Brush
Soap
Aftershave (you can choose 1 lotion and 1 splash)

My choices are:
Razor: Yaqi Final Cut adjustable
Blades:
Brush: Yaqi Green Goblin
Soap: Arko stick (just edges out derby stick due to price)
Aftershave: Nivea sensitive post shave balm and Dhose Mandarin as the splash

rbscebu

Girls call me Makaluod
For gear that is currently manufactured:

Razor = Good Dollar W59 (China)
Soap = Palmolive Regular cream (Italy)
Brush = no-brand Chinese guaranteed pure best badger synthetic (China)
IMG_20220507_090528.jpg

For aftershave I'll stick with my current private witch hazel and bay rum blend.

Rockwell 6c
Astra SP "Greens"
Omega Pro 48 boar
Savon de Marseille soap
Pinaud Lilac Vegetal

This is my typical shave as it is right now. The one where I don't have to think about anything. Works great and is inexpensive. I always wonder why I don't just stick with it all the time but I guess variety wins out.

I am with @CANES - variety tend to win, but there is no logical explanation for going beyond the “one”. If I get to do it based on current gear:

Timeless Ti95
Dorco Titan
Simpson T3
Everything else: Proraso Green

If I need to take costs more into account I would exchange my Timeless for my Fatip Piccolo.

Guido
For the razor itself I don't think you really need consider cost since you already own it, and it should last a lifetime. For me the cost part for more for stuff like blades and soaps. You wouldn't want to only be able to buy Timor razor blades or Creed shaving soaps since youd go broke

As of today, if I had to choose from the items already in my possession:

Razor: Schick Injector L1
Blades: Schick Injector II (Twin) Japan made
Brush: Simpson Persian Jar 2 Best Badger
Soap: Saponificio Varesino Desert Vetiver
Aftershave: Ariana & Evans Vetiver Magnifique

As of today, if I had to choose from the items already in my possession:

Razor: Schick Injector L1
Blades: Schick Injector II (Twin) Japan made
Brush: Simpson Persian Jar 2 Best Badger
Soap: Saponificio Varesino Desert Vetiver
Aftershave: Ariana & Evans Vetiver Magnifique
I've never actually tried one of the injector style ones, how do they compare to a de razor?

I've never actually tried one of the injector style ones, how do they compare to a de razor?
They are easier to find the best angle, nimbler, the best for difficult areas like under the nose because of their little heads, no blade chattering that makes them perfect for ATG passes. But they are very light, often under 30 grams, so if you prefer hefty razors you may not like them.

They are easier to find the best angle, nimbler, the best for difficult areas like under the nose because of their little heads, no blade chattering that makes them perfect for ATG passes. But they are very light, often under 30 grams, so if you prefer hefty razors you may not like them.
The issue is they aren't a thing here, so getting blades is a pain, plus expensive.

You can buy de blades in shops here (albeit at an increased cost Vs online) but injectior blades are online only and very expensive, like more expensive than cartridges

linty1

My wallet cries.
Agree that variety is nice, but if had to choose a load out:

Razor: Colonial general
blade: Kai mild
brush: Semogue SOC boar
Soap: Tabac (puck, doesn't matter on tallow/non)

It's interesting to think back when I first started and while yes, I had less/had experienced less, but how my answer was very different. I think 30 years ago my answer would be:

Razor: Lord l6
blade: Astra SP
brush: Whipped Dog silvertip
Soap: Kiss my face - lime

Don't get me wrong, all great and wonderful products that I would recommend, just... things have changed.

Top Bottom