What's new

If you had like tons of money, and could make the perfect razor

Even though that some modern razors use zamak heads that are perfectly fine. I would like making heads that are brass with nickle or chrome coated, like most vintage razors

I would get a set exactly like this one
With the only change I'd make is I would
Have made with a Wolfman WR2 instead
Of the pictured WR1
Carterized Wolfman 1.JPG
Carterized Wolfman 4.JPG

Last edited:
R

romsitsa

Merkur Progress in brass/bakelite.
Rotbart 5031 in aluminum/brass/bakelite.
Slightly tweaked Shakesharp in brass.
Slim adjustble with a shorter, barberpole handle.
New improved with a Bulldog handle.
Almost any early German/French zamak head in brass.

For the happiness of the entire wet shaving world I'd try to sign a contract with Gillette, for bringing back into production the Techs. Those are the perfect DE razors in my opinion.
They're still making them (in China) Marco,
G6-800_2020-06-25.jpg

and in Stainless Steel too.

I don't like modern long (vaulting pole) handles so I customized mine:
Olive-Set-G-700_2020-07-09.jpg

(As you would expect) it's a really excellent razor... at the giveaway price of $2.69!

The Gillette Super Stainless Blue Blades are excellent too, but they're not cheap (at $23.75 per 100).

FOOTNOTE
After discovering what a great razor this is I ordered two more. On reflection, I doubt if I'll ever need the spares (but being a B&B member "more" is nearly mandatory). I ordered two five-packs of the blades too.

View attachment 1144014

View attachment 1144017

(As you would expect) it's a really excellent razor... at the giveaway price of $2.69!

The Gillette Super Stainless Blue Blades are excellent too, but they're not cheap (at $23.75 per 100).

FOOTNOTE
After discovering what a great razor this is I ordered two more. On reflection, I doubt if I'll ever need the spares (but being a B&B member "more" is nearly mandatory). I ordered two five-packs of the blades too

Great customization!! :thumbup: :thumbup:

Reactions: Cal

Marco

B&B's Man in Italy
View attachment 1144014

View attachment 1144017

FOOTNOTE
After discovering what a great razor this is I ordered two more. On reflection, I doubt if I'll ever need the spares (but being a B&B member "more" is nearly mandatory). I ordered two five-packs of the blades too.

Thank you for these information, Sir!

And, by the way, I agree with you: the head looks nicely done, while the handle is pretty ugly and way too long.

Reactions: Cal

Mike M

...but this one IS cracked.
Never mind developing a "perfect" razor, I would just employ a personal barber to give me hot towel shaves!!!

I figure there is nothing new under the sun regarding blade gap and head geometry. So that largely leaves materials.

Design? Oh, probabaly that Timeless stainless model. Material? It would be off the beaten path. What about tungsten? Tungsten carbide? Titanium is out there already.

I would need to spend a few years conducting research. Research would involve my acquiring all de razors that provide a good shave & personally assess their shave ability. Once this exhaustive research was over, I would begin narrowing the field down by having shave-offs. I would hope to narrow the field down to the 10 - 20 best shaving razors. My goal would be to make the 10 - 15 best shaving razors. There can't be just one best, too many variables, even when catering to a market of just yourself. So let's settle on the 10 - 15 best & buy the companies producing those razors & continue the manufacturing in the original plants by the original engineers. My money would enhance the ability to procure state-of-the-art technology to keep tolerances as tight as possible while using top-grade materials.

Top Bottom