What's new

If you had like tons of money, and could make the perfect razor

Lets say you are a very rich person, and you really love wet classic shaving
You say "OK, lets do something" and take like 10,000,000 dollars (or even more, whatever) to put up a team of the best people and get them the best machines (CNC or whatever) to make the perfect razor (DE/SE, whatever)
What will you make? what is your "dream" razor and what will it include?
Is it even possible to make a razor that will "out-stand" every other razor in the market?
Like I said, you have unlimited money and resources, all for making this "dream razor" come true
"one to rule them all"

Oneblade Genesis with several heads.
1: half de blades and adjustable.
2: gem with a spine and adjustable
3: feather fhs and adjustable

choice of stainless steel, titanium, brass or Alluminium.

Reactions: ead
Personally I would love the Tatara tolerances in the aesthetics of a classic old school aristocrat with the addition of the flex-ball approach (which I miss to be honest) to make the head pivot all without a bulky head so its trivial to get under the nose, jawline etc.

The other crazy thing I keep thinking is the size of a classic DE is too big so half-width / half-length would be so much easier to get under the jawline. Perhaps that is what those bendy razors almost do (slants?) or perhaps the half-blade ones?

I'm not sure I want the perfect razor, or that such a thing could exist. I enjoy shaving with a variety of DE and SE razors, some nearly perfect for me and other far from it. The fact some were more than I should really have spent adds to the enjoyment. Just having them fall into my lap to order would take the fun out of the hunt.

Would have had a blade gap around 0.85 mm .Blade exposure around 0.05 mm .
A thin solid bar ,smooth with no
scallops .Clamp distance would
equal free-end distance ,while kept as short as possible.Thin top cap with 1” long screw .
Large foam outlets/ports.
Blade tabs fully covered.
Blade posts on the base plate,not on the cap.
And lastly would have been made with 99.99% pure Niobium ,which is personally
regarded as the crème de la crème of the ideal metals and alloys for DE safety construction,for a multitude of good reasons.

Almost something like my beloved GC 0.84-P ,but made of Niobium.

That is true, we would spend it on SHAVING CREAMS, SHAVING SOAPS, AFTERSHAVE... OH MY!!!!
There is so many scents I want to try.
All you need is 1 or 2 Razor.

Reactions: ead

thombrogan

Lounging On The Isle Of Tugsley.
A Brûlée torch that burns whiskers combined with an air filter so the burnt hair smell doesn’t go everywhere. Tired of folks thinking Iron Age and Industrial Revolution products are ‘old school.’

The perfect razor is a very personal choice, So peronally I'd recreate a set of stainless steal Gillette Fatboy, Slim and BB. But most of all I'd bring back the Stainless Weber PH at an affordable price.

Recreate the exact specifications of my '79 Gillette Tech (UK), but make it out of brass. It will also come with an open comb base plate.

As long as it feels and shaves exactly the same, I'd be set for life.

"You say "OK, lets do something" and take like 10,000,000 dollars (or even more, whatever)"

..... I would take my Rockwell 6C and Timeless Bronze, together with an unlimited supply of Nacets,
Stirling soaps, Simpsons brushes, Thayers splash, and Kiehl's balm ..... then with all the millions and
millions of $$$ left, I would take me and my wife on a lifetime around the world vacation (of course,
with masks and proper social distancing !) LOL :thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

I'm not sure I want the perfect razor, or that such a thing could exist. I enjoy shaving with a variety of DE and SE razors, some nearly perfect for me and other far from it. The fact some were more than I should really have spent adds to the enjoyment. Just having them fall into my lap to order would take the fun out of the hunt.

I think you are on to something here. That said, I would love to see two things pursued in 316L stainless:
  1. The raised flat bottom from the Gillette British New RFB, the British #88 Long Comb and the British Hybrid Tech, and
  2. The handle pattern from the Gillette New Improved

Top Bottom