What's new

If you do a single pass shave...

No i don’t think they would. While I don’t just do a single pass, I do some passes in one direction and then some in another for different parts on my face and then I do a rinse and clean up or buffing on certain spots. That’s it, and pretty much the same way I shave if I’m using a cartridge.

Even I don’t notice a difference. I have read some Gillette instructions from the past and watched some of their old commercials… there was never a reference to a 3-pass shave

I think this is a modern thing, likely born out of shaving forums and widespread by mantic59 and geofatboy on the early days of YouTube.

Star_Wahl_Clipper_Treker

Likes a fat handle in his hand
Is there anyone else besides yourself that would notice? Just my Wife and maybe the collars on my flannel shirts. :biggrin1:

In my opinion, pulling from the experience I have generated thus far, in order to achieve a passable WTG only shave, you have to use at least a medium aggression razor, or, use an adjustable set at level 4 aggression. I have one mild razor, a Feather AS-D2, and with my course whiskers, its never going to get me there with WTG only.

I have an Rex Ambassador, and now just added to the family, a Merkur Futur, which I just used today. If you were to load either razor with a Feather blade, set the razors to level 4 aggressions, they will provide a solid DFS shave easily WTG only.

There is a newbie on here who works for his local fire department. I actually recently gave him solid advice, that for his type of skin, if he would just do WTG passes only with a medium aggression razor, it would honestly be good enough! I don't see the fire chief firing him because he didn't do, XTG and ATG passes.

I know the standard is a 3 pass shave in the wet shaving world, some folks even do a 4 pass shave. But in reality, if its easier on your skin, and less of a chance of breaking out, or ingrown hairs, razor burn, etc, just do WTG and be done with it. But if you have course whiskers like me, forget a mild razor, so not going to shave you close enough.

I usually shave until I get the desired results, or in rare cases, until I get a good amount of irritation and/or cuts. Is there a real reason to do a couple of more passes and strokes to get an even closer shave? Maybe not, but 99% of the time I don't shave in a rush and I have all the time on the world to achieve what I'm going after.

After all, why the hell would I spend that much money on razors and other shaving gear if I don't spend some time enjoying it? That's like having a nice sports car kept it in the garage just to use it only once or twice a month for a short time. I'm also a collector, but I don't own anything in mint or NOS condition, so I use my vintage stuff too.

Shave like you feel it suits your needs and if you want to do it nice and fast, then go for it.

Top Bottom