What's new

If you could only use one shaving soap....

at this stage for me, the 3 I have in my rotation are Arko shave stick, proraso green, and Cella... but I couldn't narrow them down to one out of those yet.

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
I'm not sure I understand the question.

There are so many soaps I've not tried. I've not tried some which I already own. There are new ones apparently being invented and marketed faster than I can use them, or even buy them.

There are soaps listed on this thread which I've never heard of.

Impossible question, but you already knew that. So, this is a desert island question. The real question is this: Knowing what you know, and having no opportunity to learn more, which soap would you take to a desert island if you could take only one, knowing it would be your one and only soap for the rest of your life?

Okay, the question sucks, but what's the answer?

Mitchell's Wool Fat!

My answer might be Tabac if the stuff smelled different, but it doesn't. Tabac would be the one soap I would never take anywhere. If it were my only soap on a desert island I'd grow a beard. If it smelled different I think I'd love it.

Probably most all the soaps I have other than Tabac would be soaps I'd be comfortable with taking to the island.

Part of my reason for picking MWF is it is a very good soap in all regards + it is easy to live with because it doesn't have any scent to speak of, and thus no scent to grow weary of.

If I went to a desert island without Arlington I'd be unhappy. DR Harris makes at least one very fine soap, but still my answer right this minute (with a gun to my head) is MWF.

Ask me again tomorrow.

Happy shaves, and let's be thankful we don't have to make horrible choices such as the one posed here,

Jim

Funny, I was giving this post some though this morning after my shave using Arko stick... and I think that might be my answer also.. BUT on the proviso I could keep using the Proraso green pre-shave cream for that menthol kick I love.

Aside from the crutial points of how well it lathers and how slick it is, there's just something about it that I really enjoy. I love the scent, I know a lot of people don't but to me it has an old skool vibe to it, like that's what soap smelled like when my Pa was in his 20's. And there's the no nonsense element I love about it too, it's not fussy or trying to keep up with the times, even the packaging/branding is stuck in the 50's! It's cheap and also I have figured the best way for me to use it... I don't care for applying it direct to my face, not because it doesn't work but because the protective wrapping disintegrates after a while, and I don't just squish it into my bowl because I dont want the scent to fade, instead I cut of a slice the thickness of a coin into my shaving bowl, wrap the remainder in cling film and back in my shave bag, and the stuff in the bowl is good for 2-3 shaves.

I have only used 4 different lathers so far, TOBS Jermyn Street, Dr Jon's Savannah Sunrise, Proraso red, and Tabac. Of those 4, I would have to say the Savannah Sunrise. The smell is lovely, and the performance works great for me.

Top Bottom