• Set a goal to buy just one every so often

Votes: 28 34.6%
  • Buy just one, be happy with what you have

Votes: 13 16.0%
  • Buy them all, but sell the ones you don't totally love

Votes: 12 14.8%
  • Don't buy anything and do something else with the money

Votes: 22 27.2%
  • Put the money in a cannon and scream "Who loves you, me or the Batman? Money, money, money..."

Votes: 3 3.7%

• Total voters
None of the above

Please let me know what you were under the influence of when you came up with the final hypothetical, I really, really want some of that. 😎

brandaves

With a great avatar comes great misidentification
Now if you hadn't stipulated "modern" you might have had me...I don't care much for modern. They are generally overpriced and overhyped in my opinion. If I had the option to buy every vintage razor on the other hand...

I actually like something new every so often. My first couple of years my AD was out of control, but I've slowed considerably the last few years.

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
I've decided: don't buy anything, and do something else with the money.

I would like to think I'd give most of it away.

But Im honest enough to know that my flesh is weak.

I've already got what I need/want but I wouldn't mind trying out a couple more razors for the fun of it. For that reason, I picked one every so often.

Even if I had a ton of money sitting around, I wouldn't want to buy all the razors in the world. It would actually annoy me because I have to organize them and I'd forget which one I'd used and which one I didn't. I would rather have a solid collection of 10-20 razors and rotate between them, which is what I'm doing now.

The last act in Tim Burton's Batman when the Joker was trying to lure all of Gotham in for the canceled 200th Anniversary Parade so he could gas them all.
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="
" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

FarmerTan

I've already got what I need/want but I wouldn't mind trying out a couple more razors for the fun of it. For that reason, I picked one every so often.

Even if I had a ton of money sitting around, I wouldn't want to buy all the razors in the world. It would actually annoy me because I have to organize them and I'd forget which one I'd used and which one I didn't. I would rather have a solid collection of 10-20 razors and rotate between them, which is what I'm doing now.
Amen! Well said my friend.

The last act in Tim Burton's Batman when the Joker was trying to lure all of Gotham in for the canceled 200th Anniversary Parade so he could gas them all.
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="
" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>
So, that's your plan, eh? Lure us all into the town square, gas us, and take all of our razors. Diabolical!

p.s. I chose "Don't buy anything and do something else with the money". Right now, I can buy the shaving items that I want without too much hardship. Meanwhile, I have family and friends who could use some extra cash to make their lives a little better. I wouldn't have to think too hard to know what I should do with the money.

Rhody

I'm a Lumberjack.
Great scenario
buy them all or some? Or the ones i dont have. You know who you are 😇

but in retrospect i would like to think i would be more charitable. Not a money cannons but maybe micro "loans"

FarmerTan

Great scenario
buy them all or some? Or the ones i dont have. You know who you are 😇

but in retrospect i would like to think i would be more charitable. Not a money cannons but maybe micro "loans"
Smart thinking. Sometimes a little truly goes a long way.
p.s. I chose "Don't buy anything and do something else with the money". Right now, I can buy the shaving items that I want without too much hardship. Meanwhile, I have family and friends who could use some extra cash to make their lives a little better. I wouldn't have to think too hard to know what I should do with the money.
I have been on both ends of this scenario. We should all pray to be humble enough to be blessed, and available to be a blessing.

I've been conservative in my razor, accessory and consumables purchases since I started wet shaving. I bought a razor I like right off the bat (Merkur 34C), quickly found my favorite blades (Personna Blue) and have had the same brush for 4 years. I only have one, maybe two soaps at a time (I found my favorite and don't feel like exploring further). I'm only now starting to splurge a little more now that I'm taking up straight razor shaving, and I see my spending on that tapering off quickly once I find my favorite straight. I have the money, I just like sticking with what I know, and I don't think that would change much with a retirement/investment windfall.

I chose buy them all and sell the ones I didn't want, but if money were no object I would actually buy them all and give away the ones I don't want. I tend to be happy with just a few, so I would probably only keep a few and the rest would make some other people very happy!

FarmerTan

I chose buy them all and sell the ones I didn't want, but if money were no object I would actually buy them all and give away the ones I don't want. I tend to be happy with just a few, so I would probably only keep a few and the rest would make some other people very happy!
Excellent thought process!

I chose “ don’t buy anything and do something else with the money”. I have never been a collector of razors, I use the ones I have and if they are replaced they either are broken or have been passed on. I could buy more high end razors but I don’t have the desire at this point, I live vicariously through you fine gentlemen. I’d use the money to pay for my daughter’s college (almost fully funded now) and my Niece and twin Nephew’s college as well via a 1.75% loan so they have some skin in the game.

Buy them all and sell the ones you don’t love. This is literally what I am doing. One at a time of course, giving them all a fair trial. To quote Highlander “In the end there can be only one”.

Timeless is currently top of the pack for me. All that I really have left to try is a Wolfman but I will be waiting a while for that.

Last edited:
1588596600948.png

My heart is with the first one; I'm a simple kind of guy. I use one razor as a daily driver.I'd probably set up a nice cushion fund for my son and perhaps pay for my late girfriends' daughter's nursing school in its entirely.

But the second one is awesome :batman:

View attachment 1095722
My heart is with the first one; I'm a simple kind of guy. I use one razor as a daily driver.I'd probably set up a nice cushion fund for my son and perhaps pay for my late girfriends' daughter's nursing school in its entirely.

But the second one is awesome :batman:
I love your answer. It's heart warming, but funny right at the end.

Now if you hadn't stipulated "modern" you might have had me...I don't care much for modern. They are generally overpriced and overhyped in my opinion. If I had the option to buy every vintage razor on the other hand...
Yup. This says it all for me. I find vintage razors so much more interesting.

Top Bottom