• Set a goal to buy just one every so often

Votes: 28 34.6%
  • Buy just one, be happy with what you have

Votes: 13 16.0%
  • Buy them all, but sell the ones you don't totally love

Votes: 12 14.8%
  • Don't buy anything and do something else with the money

Votes: 22 27.2%
  • Put the money in a cannon and scream "Who loves you, me or the Batman? Money, money, money..."

Votes: 3 3.7%

• Total voters
Let's play a game based upon a hypothetical financial situation. Through out your life you've sacrificed. You've invested. You've gone without. You've thrown everything you could into investing for your future. Now your investment gains are out weighing your work income. Your work income due to years of hard work and experience is quite substantial. You're not going to be buying a high end sports car, but you could get a Lincoln or F-150 with the off road package without blinking. Your house is paid for by your investment income you set aside just to pay the mortgage. You literally have no money problems unless you create them.

You could buy every high end modern razor in one sitting and not even flinch. It's something of your goal to have everyone of them for use, display, or both. One version from every vendor. A mini museum of high end modern razors. A total waste of money from the outside looking in.

Do you do it? Do you just load up your cart on every vendor's website and buy it all in one night after work? Do you just buy one and stick with it? Do you limit the ones you buy to just one a month to give you time to enjoy what you already have? Do you buy them, try them, then resell them keeping just the ones you like best?

Do you put the money toward other things? Do you put the money in an air cannon and just fire it off into crowds once a month just to witness human nature at its finest? Do you just let the money sit somewhere until a better idea comes along?

What would you do?

Nope. I am in my early 50s. My house is paid for and I could buy a high end razor without worrying about it. I would not do it. It only sets my home up for trouble. I am more than satisfied with my current razors, seven straights, a Fatboy, an open comb, and an injector (the injector is awesome, by the way).

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

EclipseRedRing

I smell like a Christmas pudding
I have a modest group of razors all of which are used regularly. I get pleasure from the razors I own, and also from those that I dream of having but have yet to acquire. They have never disappointed me unlike some I have bought and later sold. I regretted buying those not because I did not like them, but because I no longer had the pleasure of hoping one day to acquire them. I have steadily bought through thrift stores and online auctions and mostly I think I have had bargains. I could simply purchase everything I desire by spending a lot of money but that is merely shopping, with as much merit and satisfaction as buying a newspaper. Everyone spends their money how they want but some here have barely had time to parade their latest acquisition before they have purchased the next. That would not bring me any satisfaction and for that reason I do not do it, but I enjoy seeing the purchases of those that do as they give me more things to dream of one day finding in a thrift store.

This was a tough one! I hovered over money cannon for quite awhile...In all seriousness if you’re completely fine money-wise i’d see no reason NOT to buy em’ all if that’s what you wanted. Personally though, i’m not really a razor guy. I just bought my first (and only) highish end razor and plan to use it till i’m 6 feet under. I have one for travel and the Van Der Hagen i retired after two years as my daily driver. To me, a razor isn’t much more than something cool to look at and hold my blade while i shave. Obviously there are extremes like the R41 but i think most razors with a sane blade gap will shave about the same. I understand WHY people like collecting them but it’s just not for me. I do enjoy the pictures and people’s opinions on them though!

I have no need for any additional shaving goods, but I might buy a cool apothecary mug to hold my soap because I've always wanted one. There are plenty of other uses for that amount of money than shaving.

I don't like things arounds that I don't use regularly, so a rack full of razors that I'm not using would bother me. I've found that my sweet spot is 2-3 razors (enough for variety, but few enough that they can all be used often), so that's what I'd likely stick with even if I had a limitless bank account. If I had the urge to try something new, the plan going into it would be to only keep it long term if it replaces something I already have, otherwise it would be catch and release.

I have bought a couple razors before knowing that they probably wouldn't live up to what I already had and that I'd probably only use them a few times, but they piqued my interest enough that I wanted to give them a shot. I think I only used each of them 4 times before letting them go.

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
Nope. I am in my early 50s. My house is paid for and I could buy a high end razor without worrying about it. I would not do it. It only sets my home up for trouble. I am more than satisfied with my current razors, seven straights, a Fatboy, an open comb, and an injector (the injector is awesome, by the way).

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
This is pretty much me. The War Department has me on a very long leash, but I have passed up on stuff because I love her, and she HATES clutter, and I'm so blessed to have her, that it's a small sacrifice to not buy EVERYTHING that I want, lol.

Wet shaving stuff is not my only obsession. Shoes, hats, coats... yes, I'm the woman in our relationship! She is every man's dream: I have to MAKE her waste money.

So I'm truly not sure how I will vote on this very interesting question. Yes, I've taken this too seriously and am overthinking it!

My acquisition disorders stalled after I got the 6S, which finally delivered a good shave in a form that wasn't fragile.

I used reviews, most of them on here, to make informed decisions.

The idea of a more fancy, high-end razor has a certain allure, and I could certainly afford (say) a Wolfman, supposing one was even available, but I think I have already had most of the improved results I'm going to get. Diminishing returns.

On the other hand, that fairly cheap RazoRock SLOC looks interesting.

FarmerTan

Still pondering it.

But I know this: if I had Jay Leno's money I'd have twice as many cars and motorcycles as he does.

I'm reminded of my first-born's Christmas one year ('tis the season, after all) when he was three or four years old. The tree was loaded with presents, almost all of which were for him. After opening enough to make him happy (likely because he was making his parents happy), he wandered off to play with one or two of his new toys.

That night, my wife and I finished opening his many unopened presents. I'm not sure how much playing time each present got except for the several that were his favorites.

Though every one has a different utility curve for material items, and how it's spread, I suspect most of us enjoy each item of the same category less as we increase the number of items in that category. I'm beginning to marginally enjoy the acquisition of a new razor, soap, etc. less as my collections grow. That is why I voted for "one every so often."

Nobody needs THAT many shaving stuff so I went for "Don't buy anything and do something else with the money".

I've only got a small tiny collection (5 razors and 6 boar brushes) and I'm happy with it. Don't really see a need to get more aside from maybe that one fatip open comb.......

The only thing I've got to keep replenishing are the creams and aftershave but they are cheap here.

I already own the top high-end razor. Add a 100 Astra SP's, a Cremo horsehair brush, and 15 pucks of Williams, and there is enough for a 10-year Sabbatical.

BTW, for those who think prices aren't going up, this razor was $12.99 last year. It's the perfect time to buy a lifetime supply of everything.

1577187111221.png

Great question!!

I went through a ‘buy them all phase.’

Then I decided that I prefer to be a ’user’ rather than a collector. Still struggling with a few ADs, but most of my hardware has moved on. There is nothing in my den that does not get used! :a14: :a14:

FarmerTan

Great question!!

I went through a ‘buy them all phase.’

Then I decided that I prefer to be a ’user’ rather than a collector. Still struggling with a few ADs, but most of my hardware has moved on. There is nothing in my den that does not get used! :a14: :a14:
Smart man.

@GaryTha i enjoyed my Van Der Hagen for 2 full years before i bought a razor. I’m not sure why it has a reputation of being Gillette tech mild; it’s not. I find it solidly in the middle which is right where i like a razor. I bought a 3 piece Homelike START razor only because i felt like a 3 piece would never fail whereas there’s always room for something to go wrong with a TTO. Nevertheless, i didn’t find the START to be a “better” razor. A little smoother but results wise, no different.

I wouldn't do it personally. I'm a logical minded person by nature, and my general rule is that if I haven't used it in 6 months, I don't need it (my car almost sees that treatment these days because of my work vehicle). While there are plenty of things I would consider buying, they would simply be upgrades to perfectly functional items I already have. My golf clubs from 2006 could use some updating, etc, but the fact is that they won't change my enjoyment of the game.

I would expand things a little just to give myself some options. I foresee that eventually I will probably own something around 3-4 razors, 2-4 brushes, and a small assortment of soaps just to rotate through for some variety, but I have no intentions of trying to create a museum to consumerism of any sort. If it's not functional and being used, it doesn't need to be in my house.

Interesting question...

I first buy things I need. After that I buy things that bring me joy. There's the joy of acquiring something. The joy of having something. The joy of using something. Even the joy of passing along something you have that others need or want more than you do.

I'd likely buy one/some of them, and then more later as the mood struck me. Eventually I'd buy then all, but I doubt I would keep them all.

Top Bottom