What's new

If you could choose any razor…

What DE, SE, or SR razor would you most want to get if you had a free choice of specifications, materials, etc.? Maybe something that isn’t currently offered but could be made, or something from the past that you would like to see resurrected and/or improved. Or maybe something that is completely different from anything out there.

For me, I would love to have a Blackland Tradere OC in brass. Would be a heavy but rather magnificent version of my favourite razor. Maybe I’m not imaginative enough but I wouldn’t change anything else about it. I know everyone seeks after titanium these days (and that would be very nice too) but I just think brass would be more special on this razor.

rbscebu

Girls call me Makaluod
For me it would be a straight razor of:
  • Japanese ACRO stainless steel heat treated to near 70 RHC.
  • Half-hollow grind with slight belly on the face side.
  • 11/16 blade width.
  • Spanish point like the Gold Dollar W59.
  • Thumb notch like the Gold Dollar W59.
  • Blade mass moment of inertia like the Gold Dollar W59.
  • No blade bling.
  • Bevel angle at about a 16°.
  • A properly honed bevel.
  • Ebony scales of traditional profile.
  • No stabilisers.
  • No jimps.
  • Balance point at about the pivot pin when opened 180°.
Of course this would have to be custom made.

Ever since seeing the Barbaros Kalyon handle (which copied the Bohin handle but larger and in stainless), I’ve thought it would be great if someone made one in that style, but slightly smaller with more reasonable weight.

Last edited:
  • 11/16 blade width.
  • No blade bling.
  • No stabilisers.
  • No jimps.
That’s pretty detailed - it’s nice to know exactly what you like and it looks like you’ve been thinking about it for a while. I hope you get to bring it to life with a suitable razor maker.

Ever since seeing the Barbarous Kalyon handle (which copied the Bohin handle but larger and in stainless), I’ve thought it would be great if someone made one in that style, but slightly smaller with more reasonable weight.
This one? I hadn’t seen it before but it is great.

5B65C8B3-287F-4752-89B5-8DAB9182D9EF.jpeg

Owen Bawn

Garden party cupcake scented
I've seen this movie before, and I have a drawer full of quality souvenirs to prove it... I would probably want one of those Wolfman WR1 razors that I hear guys like @BigJ sing about. I'd get it, admire it, load it with a blade, use it for 7 or 8 consecutive fantastic shaves, then put it the drawer and load a new blade into my Super Speed. That's just how I roll.

You should see that drawer, however...

Owen Bawn

Garden party cupcake scented
My Gillette Heritage.........no joke, it's the only razor I have been using now since 2019, and I couldn't be happier with it. Honestly it's the only razor I have besides my Super Speed which has now taken a back seat to my Heritage.
I am a Super Speed user myself. I like a mild razor with a sharp blade. Just before reading your post I was looking at another thread in which @Marco was praising the Gillette Heritage razor. Between reading what the two of you have written I must say I'm intrigued.

• 11/16 blade width.
  • No blade bling.
  • No stabilisers.
  • No jimps.
And when it's all you hoped it would be, get 6 more for the set?

I am a Super Speed user myself. I like a mild razor with a sharp blade. Just before reading your post I was looking at another thread in which @Marco was praising the Gillette Heritage razor. Between reading what the two of you have written I must say I'm intrigued.

If you don't have one, I recommend you get one, you'll really like it, another thing to keep in mind is that I have had some of the best shaves though using the King Gillette blades from my local Walgreens. They are great!

Tirvine

ancient grey sweatophile
I am 100% happy and satisfied with the Above the Tie Windsor with mild copper plate. So I shall let someone else use my free chance to select the razor of their dreams.

From what I understand the head on the Heritage is a clone of the EJ89, but I could be wrong.

I have had some of the best shaves though using the King Gillette blades from my local Walgreens. They are great!
I am using these now after having read so many good things about them. I can concur that in using the same blade four times in four different razors, I have had great shaves with all of them. The last one was a Blue Tip which I hadn't used before and was a bit too mild for my taste but the blade is going strong. I ended up finding someone selling 20 of them on eBay for way less than retail so I went that route. Bottom line, I'm a new shaver so my opinion doesn't carry much weight, but it is easily the best blade I've used thus far.

Top Bottom