What's new

If you could be from any generation, what would it be?

Didn't find a thread like this so as the title says, what generation would you pick to be from if you could? For me I wish I was a 23 year old man in the 40s-50s. I love the art deco designs of that time, the cars, the music, the way people dressed, the kind manners people had, the lack of advanced technology..I feel like I would enjoy life to it's fullest if I was from that Era. Today...people just aren't the same....we're all somehow distracted by all these technologies..like phones and the like that I feel like we're missing out on a lot. How about you guys?

Billski

Here I am, 1st again.
I like the time period you chose. You did well writing this paragraph. This makes me think and remember.

Everytime this question comes up i almost automatically just say THE FORTIES! But there's always that nagging thought of no Rockabilly to jam to yet. I think I would still pick the forties, or the better part of them, and enjoy the ride until the right time when I can form a band and leave my mark in the time I was (I think) meant to! Would not for a second, I don't think, miss the internet, my cell phone, fuel injection etc. etc.. And I will CERTAINLY not miss having to carefully examine so many people for a moment to see if their a girl or not!

I'm a boomer, and I'll keep it that way. Apart from my belief we sometimes get a little full of ourselves, I believe we are the luckiest generation alive. Our parents survived the Depression, won WWII, and ushered in a period of tremendous growth and prosperity. We may have struggled to find our own identity for awhile, but ultimately we have seen, participated in, and embraced change. We're raising our children, and many of us are grandparents. We have been truly blessed.

TexLaw

Fussy Evil Genius
Didn't find a thread like this so as the title says, what generation would you pick to be from if you could? For me I wish I was a 23 year old man in the 40s-50s. I love the art deco designs of that time, the cars, the music, the way people dressed, the kind manners people had, the lack of advanced technology..I feel like I would enjoy life to it's fullest if I was from that Era. Today...people just aren't the same....we're all somehow distracted by all these technologies..like phones and the like that I feel like we're missing out on a lot. How about you guys?
I've thought about this a bit, and I started thinking something similar, but then I realized something. Chances are that I would probably feel the same way about the technology then. I'd probably be fussing about everyone gathering around the radio or television, rather than talking, singing, or playing music together. I'd fuss about everyone relying on push-button appliances and TV dinners, instead of really cooking something. I imagine I'd go on and on.

Not to mention we would have to deal with an enormous amount of social issues, as well as a war or two. It's easy to romanticize an era we never lived through.

I tend to believe that we are right where we ought to be.

I've thought about this a bit, and I started thinking something similar, but then I realized something. Chances are that I would probably feel the same way about the technology then. I'd probably be fussing about everyone gathering around the radio or television, rather than talking, singing, or playing music together. I'd fuss about everyone relying on push-button appliances and TV dinners, instead of really cooking something. I imagine I'd go on and on.

Not to mention we would have to deal with an enormous amount of social issues, as well as a war or two. It's easy to romanticize an era we never lived through.

I figured someone would throw the reality curve in there! :lol:

Amen.

I'm a boomer, and I'll keep it that way. Apart from my belief we sometimes get a little full of ourselves, I believe we are the luckiest generation alive. Our parents survived the Depression, won WWII, and ushered in a period of tremendous growth and prosperity. We may have struggled to find our own identity for awhile, but ultimately we have seen, participated in, and embraced change. We're raising our children, and many of us are grandparents. We have been truly blessed.

I would like to say I wish I was part a "The Greatest Generation", and I do romanticize it. Them I remember my Grampa telling me about the time he got a whipping (read actual whipping) because he and his brother got into a fist fight over who was gonna get to sop the bacon grease out of the pan, because they only got one hog a year, and broke his Gramma's kitchen table. Then he quit school at about twelve to take a job working 70+ hours a week at a bakery, and was grateful for the work. At sixteen he went to work in the mines, and did that off and on between ranch handing until WWII, where he spent the next couple years getting shot at by the Japanese, fighting over little rocks in the Pacific.

Then I think that overall, what he GOT out of the deal in terms of living in the golden age, really wasn't worth what he went through to get it, and that I am pretty damn lucky to have been a little kid in the seventies. We still got to grow up with a touch of "the old days", and raised by those same people, but our troubles were pretty much first world.

This. My thoughts exactly. I think everyone, myself included, tend to wax longingly for a return to the "Good 'Ole Days" but the generation you are living covers a pretty long period of time. I can't say that I agree with every social trend that seems to be the rage at any one given moment, but it doesn't mean you have to act that way. You will never see me in the middle of a public place, gazing at a smart phone, "communicating" with everyone, or going to the grocery store in my pajamas; it's just not me.

It might be a small contribution, but you do contribute to your generation and society by just being "you." Live like a the gentleman you envision from any generation; it certainly won't hurt the one we're living in now!

Good conversational topic. This thread might be an interesting one.

Don

60's and 70's. English Electric Lightnings, Jensen Interceptors, the music, always felt I was born (1972) in the wrong era.

I agree 100%. (Maybe it is the '57 in the username?) Anyway: I have lived a blessed life so far, and while it is easy to be nostalgic for some bygone era, I love the times that I have lived through and expect to live through yet. Even at the "advanced age" of 58, I have discovered something new here in this past year that lets me live vicariously in a bygone age. And I get to talk about it with like-minded people of all ages on a technology that couldn't have been imagined in the days when my vintage razors we first made and used. Life is good. Enjoy every moment!

Space_Cadet

I don't have a funny description.
Second World War generation.

$Yound people then and now.jpg

I want to be Bertie Wooster. Great clothes, plenty of money, a very dashing two-seater, no cares and, of course, Jeeves to get me out of trouble.

Top Bottom