What's new

If you bought a brush off of ebay that looked to be in reasonably good condition...

Would you clean it and use it? If so, how would you clean it? I can find plenty of threads about cleaning brushes that we already own but not a thread covering this subject.

Thanks,
Steve

What I do is a couple of practice lathers with Dawn, and then a couple with an antibacterial soap. After that, I trust my immune system.

Yes, I would clean it and use it. I found myself in just this situation a few weeks ago. I found a thread about cleaning shaving brushes that seemed reasonable to me. It only requires a mug or bowl, dishwashing detergent, antibacterial soap, shampoo, and shaving soap or cream. I used this on a recently acquired boar brush.

1. Soak the brush in warm for 15 minutes.
2. Use the brush to build lather with the dishwashing detergent for about a minute.
3. Soak the brush in the suds from the detergent for 15 minutes. Rinse thoroughly.
4. Repeat steps 2 and 3 using the antibacterial soap.
5. Repeat steps 2 and 3 using the shampoo.
6. Repeat steps 2 and 3 using the shave soap.
7. Dry the brush using a clean towel.
8. Hang the brush and allow it to dry.
9. The brush is now ready for use.

This worked for me and I hope you find the information useful. Good luck.

Rudy Vey

Shaving baby skin and turkey necks
I think the same procedures for cleaning would apply to a used brush.
Personally, I would just lather it up a few times very good in my hand, with thorough rinsing in between.
Remember, soap is used for a long time to clean and sanitize stuff...

Last edited:
What I do is a couple of practice lathers with Dawn, and then a couple with an antibacterial soap. After that, I trust my immune system.
I like this. Effective and easy to remember. I think I'll employ this method in the future. I like my method, but I admit the shampoo and shave soap steps may be overkill.

From a random eBay seller, probably not.
A respected member on a shaving forum, yes.
Probably overthinking it, but that's me.

Personally, I would just lather it up a fer times very good in my hand, with thorough rinsing in between.

I would agree with this superb brush maker.

Personally, I would just lather it up a few times very good in my hand, with thorough rinsing in between.
More great wisdom and advice from the brush guru....

This.

Sent from my phone using Tapatalk

Yes, I would clean it and use it. I found myself in just this situation a few weeks ago. I found a thread about cleaning shaving brushes that seemed reasonable to me. It only requires a mug or bowl, dishwashing detergent, antibacterial soap, shampoo, and shaving soap or cream. I used this on a recently acquired boar brush.

1. Soak the brush in warm for 15 minutes.
2. Use the brush to build lather with the dishwashing detergent for about a minute.
3. Soak the brush in the suds from the detergent for 15 minutes. Rinse thoroughly.
4. Repeat steps 2 and 3 using the antibacterial soap.
5. Repeat steps 2 and 3 using the shampoo.
6. Repeat steps 2 and 3 using the shave soap.
7. Dry the brush using a clean towel.
8. Hang the brush and allow it to dry.
9. The brush is now ready for use.

This worked for me and I hope you find the information useful. Good luck.

Dishwashing detergent? The stuff you use in a dishwasher? No; too harsh. Dawn? Yes.

ajkel64

Check Out Chick
Staff member
I’m using a Wilkinson Sword Brush at the moment that came to me used from a different country. I gave it a bath and have been using it with no adverse effects now for many months.

+1! My understanding is that soap kills most bacteria!

"Shaving brushes used to be a source of anthrax infection, but researchers say the modern-day risk is next to nothing." Mainly applies to WW1 brushes that didn't get sterilized properly. Think there was a post recently from a doctor about a patient that got infected from a brush, but I think that was more to do with the way in which it was kept.

Well, @Steve V. I think you have an answer to your question. The most popular methods seem to involve test lathers using dishwashing liquid (such as Dawn) and/or antibacterial soap. Good luck and happy shaves.

I like the vinegar and water swirl and soak followed by a Dawn lather and soak.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I sure as heck plan to...

IMG_0842.JPG

Top Bottom