What's new

If you are thinking of shaving with a Bolzano blade....

The Bolzano Superinox blades work well for me, currently the only razor I shave with is a Rockwell 6S (5 plate).

From what I have heard and read, Bolzanos are better in aggressive razors. So no wonder they give terrible shaves in a ball end Tech.

From what I have heard and read, Bolzanos are better in aggressive razors. So no wonder they give terrible shaves in a ball end Tech.

A less sharp blade can tame a very aggressive razor. Likewise, a very sharp blade can make a mild razor more aggressive. The corollary is also true, an aggressive razor can make a less sharp blade work better. Unless your beard is very fine, a less sharp blade in a mild razor does not work well.

I've gotten great shaves with Bolzanos in a '62 Tech. Currently on 3rd shave with a German Wilkie and this shave was smoother and more comfortable than the first 2.

The DE and cartridge razor videos from How It's Made series are for Chroma and Harry's. The factory and staff are impressive, looking high tech compared to videos of Russian and Indian blade factories I've seen. QC couldn't be better, yet the product is poor. Go figure...

"The product is poor"? Au contraire mon frère. In the right razor, on the right face [read: mine], Bolzanos are phenomenal blades. They really are about all I shave with these days, along with Polsilvers and vintage blades.
So I really find it hard to believe that we are shaving with the same blade. If these recent negative reviews are right, all I can figure is that standards at Feintechnic slipped after Harry's took over. Fortunately I liked the pre-Harry's Bolzano blade so much that I stockpiled em.

I'll pick up a tuck on my way home and compare.
I'll report back -- maybe tomorrow if they're as bad as some say.
If they're the same as the ones I've been using, it will be longer -- like 5 or 6 exquisite shaves longer.
(If that's the case, I will assume that you naysayers are using with the wrong end of the razor. :a11:)

"The product is poor"? Au contraire mon frère. In the right razor, on the right face [read: mine], Bolzanos are phenomenal blades. They really are about all I shave with these days, along with Polsilvers and vintage blades.
So I really find it hard to believe that we are shaving with the same blade. If these recent negative reviews are right, all I can figure is that standards at Feintechnic slipped after Harry's took over. Fortunately I liked the pre-Harry's Bolzano blade so much that I stockpiled em.

I'll pick up a tuck on my way home and compare.
I'll report back -- maybe tomorrow if they're as bad as some say.
If they're the same as the ones I've been using, it will be longer -- like 5 or 6 exquisite shaves longer.
(If that's the case, I will assume that you naysayers are using with the wrong end of the razor. :a11:)

I was being skeptical that they suck as some think they do. It may have come out wrong in my writing.

Working fine in my Stahly
proxy.php

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Reporting back after working through a new tuck of Bolzano blades I picked up in June to see if some QC issues have arisen since the manufacture of my stash. Nope -- they were all consistently fine.
Maybe the shop where I bought these, Merz Apothecary in Chicago, just has old inventory.
I've never experienced any inconsistency with Bolzano. If your mileage varies, don't knock the blade -- they and Polsilver work better for me than anything else.

Tried a Bolzano for the first time in my Parker Variant set to 3.5, with Arko stick.

It was a very smooth shave, if anything it reminded me of Feather.

Will see how the subsequent shaves go. When I started wet shaving back in March, I would toss a blade after 3 shaves, now I use a blade a week, which made me re-evaluate some of the brands.

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
The razors I used with the first Bolzano blade I tried:

RR GC .84 OC
FaTip Piccolo SE OC plate
FaTip Piccolo SE Gentile plate
RR 'Old' OC
1910 Gillette ABC Shell
Gillette English Flat Bottom Tech

Six very good shaves out of one Bolzano blade.

YMMV

Raven Koenes

My precious!
The razors I used with the first Bolzano blade I tried:

RR GC .84 OC
FaTip Piccolo SE OC plate
FaTip Piccolo SE Gentile plate
RR 'Old' OC
1910 Gillette ABC Shell
Gillette English Flat Bottom Tech

Six very good shaves out of one Bolzano blade.

YMMV
I think they are a very fine blade. FYI, I always take them to 10 shaves and have never shaved one out.

As I recall, the electron microscopy thread showed the Bolzano with a unique triple bevel instead of the usual double. They are indeed a different blade. I personally find they shave me far better than most blades with zero irritation after. I have a very coarse beard (Scottish heritage) and use a mild Wolfman. Fantastic shave.

A less sharp blade can tame a very aggressive razor. Likewise, a very sharp blade can make a mild razor more aggressive. The corollary is also true, an aggressive razor can make a less sharp blade work better. Unless your beard is very fine, a less sharp blade in a mild razor does not work well.

Generally true for me also! I prefer mild/moderate razors paired with sharp blades! :a29:

Well, after I gave Bolzano such a good review, it decided to stab me in the back... or rather, take a chunk of skin out of my face. That's after not getting any cuts (not counting minor weepers) for months with any blade.

That was completely uncalled for - usually I can say after the fact "well, that's what I did...", but not this time. I was shaving and all of a sudden wham, a gouge on my sideburn, with zero warning. And that's an area where I never cut myself before.

So, an electric shaver for a while now, at least in that area... what a bummer.

Top Bottom