What's new

If the tobacco price doubled...

Hirsute

Used to have fun with Commander Yellow Pantyhose
I can't wait to see if their new software accurately tracked stock, and didn't oversell and leave a bunch of folks unhappy. Yeah, I'm sure they did that right...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That is just insane! Talk about cornering the market. LOL!! But like others have said earlier, I'm not going to sweat it. I'm going to keep finding what I like and just stock up. :)

There are quite a few that still have across the pond in stock and I have not noticed the price moving up or down much if at all. Like anything else in life when things like this happen it will just be eeplaced by another resource and something new.
Sad reality but is the way of the world. Of prices were to double what they are now i would find something nagged and decently priced that tastes smelled and smoked decent and call it a day. Lucky me I smoked cigarettes for a couple decades and will not go back to them but don't mind strong blends of burley. Let's all pray and hope for the best in this mess.

I waited until I got home and 3 Oaks Syrian is gone......
3OS has been sold out everywhere for like a month. Word leaked in early February from McClelland that they officially ran out of Syrian latakia, so everyone freaked out and started to hoard everything that they could.

I wouldn't be surprised if they never had any to begin with and it was just an automated email setup back in like January.

3OS has been sold out everywhere for like a month. Word leaked in early February from McClelland that they officially ran out of Syrian latakia, so everyone freaked out and started to hoard everything that they could.

I wouldn't be surprised if they never had any to begin with and it was just an automated email setup back in like January.

Sadly, I wouldn't be surprised either. It sure went lightning fast if it were accurate which makes me suspect it was incorrect. Also odd they didn't put a limit on it either.

I wonder how Macbaren's Syrian is compared to 3OS

I'm half tempted to mail OP a gallon bag of fresh Virginian tabacco.
If I was still smoking and prices doubled that would definitely hamper Americans too much as well. I would probably try to find an international friend to trade goods with or consider growing my own.

What happened in January?
Nothing specifically. P&C just sends out automated emails and promotions that they thought up months prior. Heck, the calendars that they give out for free at the end of the year have the monthly deals listed on each month... so those are planned out over a year in advance in some cases.

Nothing specifically. P&C just sends out automated emails and promotions that they thought up months prior. Heck, the calendars that they give out for free at the end of the year have the monthly deals listed on each month... so those are planned out over a year in advance in some cases.
I really like those calendars. I forgot to make an order for one in time last year.
If tobacco prices doubled, I'd still order in December to get the calendar.

Kentos

B&B's Dr. Doolittle.
Staff member
If prices doubled, even tripled I would still smoke. Maybe less often, but I would still smoke.

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
Since the OP started this thread six years ago, tobacco here hasn't doubled, but has just hit 150% what it was in 2017.

When my last order (made the day before the latest increase) arrived, I had a bit of a battle with buyers remorse. It just didn't look like I'd got my money's worth, considering the chunk of cash I had to part with. It's no fun looking at your latest haul, and thinking... "Is that all I get?" That said, it all arrived in plastic pouches - and tins do have a cunning way of making you feel like you got more for your money, I think.

Yet this...

If prices doubled, even tripled I would still smoke. Maybe less often, but I would still smoke.

... sums up my feelings perfectly. I'll still buy It, but only if I need it. I also think I'll appreciate and savour each smoke a little more too. Even the ones I bought cheaper.

All that said, while it's too spendy (now) for me to be loading up on what I need yet. It's still not a prohibitively expensive pleasure. In round numbers, a quid a smoke. Less than half the cost of a coffee somewhere, and more than double the pleasure, in my opinion.

So while my cellaring days are done, I'll still be quite happy to open the wallet and treat myself occasionally. There's not many other hobbies that are this enjoyable for a quid an hour.

brandaves

With a great avatar comes great misidentification
Since the OP started this thread six years ago, tobacco here hasn't doubled, but has just hit 150% what it was in 2017.

When my last order (made the day before the latest increase) arrived, I had a bit of a battle with buyers remorse. It just didn't look like I'd got my money's worth, considering the chunk of cash I had to part with. It's no fun looking at your latest haul, and thinking... "Is that all I get?" That said, it all arrived in plastic pouches - and tins do have a cunning way of making you feel like you got more for your money, I think.

Yet this...

... sums up my feelings perfectly. I'll still buy It, but only if I need it. I also think I'll appreciate and savour each smoke a little more too. Even the ones I bought cheaper.

All that said, while it's too spendy (now) for me to be loading up on what I need yet. It's still not a prohibitively expensive pleasure. In round numbers, a quid a smoke. Less than half the cost of a coffee somewhere, and more than double the pleasure, in my opinion.

So while my cellaring days are done, I'll still be quite happy to open the wallet and treat myself occasionally. There's not many other hobbies that are this enjoyable for a quid an hour.
All of this is why I'm cellaring so deep. I only get time to have a bowl once a day if I'm lucky at the moment. I expect that will change drastically into retirement. Tobacco is getting more scarce, more expensive and more regulated all the time. For all I know it'll be banned by the time I retire. I want a deep cellar to enjoy the rest of my life. It seems ridiculous to some now, but I can justify it to myself based on the pleasure I recieve from it. As @Hirsute once said, it's my 401T. I've got no shame and tucking away pounds at a time. My future self will thank me for it!

Legion

Staff member
I quit smoking years ago for a number of reasons, but the cost was a major one. Pipe tobacco where I live has to be about 4x what it costs in the US. I couldn't justify smoking at all, let alone building a cellar.

The plus side, I guess, for anyone who has stuck with it, there are an awful lot of estate pipes for reasonably cheap in the antique stores here, since there is not much demand for them.

brandaves

With a great avatar comes great misidentification
I quit smoking years ago for a number of reasons, but the cost was a major one. Pipe tobacco where I live has to be about 4x what it costs in the US. I couldn't justify smoking at all, let alone building a cellar.

The plus side, I guess, for anyone who has stuck with it, there are an awful lot of estate pipes for reasonably cheap in the antique stores here, since there is not much demand for them.
There are several Ausies in other pipe groups I frequent...they say much the same.

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
If I ever completely run out of pipe tobacco, I have nasal snuff.

If smoking becomes prohibited outright, such that smoking a pipe in public might lead to arrest, I have nasal snuff.

If I ever end up in a home I can't smoke in, I have nasal snuff.

The chance of me outliving my snuff stash is pretty much none existent. :biggrin1:

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!

The last time I looked, I think Aus prices were over 4x UK prices, and we're already multiples of what US prices are.

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
Wow. Yeah, that wouldn't surprise me.

I literally do not know anyone in my acquaintance circle that still smokes. As a country we got taxed into quitting.
Of course, when the pool of money from tobacco tax revenue dries up, they will just not spend that money anymore.
They wouldn't try to find something else to tax to make up for the lost revenue. That's just not how Government works!

Columbo

Mr. Codgers Neighborhood
Of course, when the pool of money from tobacco tax revenue dries up, they will just not spend that money anymore.
They wouldn't try to find something else to tax to make up for the lost revenue. That's just not how Government works!

No worries. 🙄 When the Government runs out of our money, they'll just print more.

And then when my SWR costs over $600 a tub, I'll have to start smoking into the dottle a bit more. 🙄

Columbo

Mr. Codgers Neighborhood
All of this is why I'm cellaring so deep. I only get time to have a bowl once a day if I'm lucky at the moment. I expect that will change drastically into retirement. Tobacco is getting more scarce, more expensive and more regulated all the time. For all I know it'll be banned by the time I retire. I want a deep cellar to enjoy the rest of my life. It seems ridiculous to some now, but I can justify it to myself based on the pleasure I recieve from it. As @Hirsute once said, it's my 401T. I've got no shame and tucking away pounds at a time. My future self will thank me for it!

Look at the bright side. Some day, many deep cellars are going to be like the hidden treasure chambers of the Pharaohs to future generations. Might want to set some traps and hidden doors to at least make it an exciting discovery for them. Reminds me of an old Lucy Show where she goes down to Jack Benny’s vault.

Just think, that old unsmoked tub of PA next to the water softener might someday be enshrined in the Smithsonian. Gives me a warm fuzzy feeling. Think I‘ll go have another bowl with that thought.

Top Bottom