What's new

If smell was not a factor...

If smell was not a factor, and the only way to judge your soap/cream is the quality of shave it gives you, what would be your top soap and cream pick?

Thanks guys, as I am trying to find the best soap/cream to purchase because it seems the scents fade relatively quickly and if I use a cologne that will overpower it. So I'm just trying to find what will give me the best shave.

ketan889 said:
If smell was not a factor, and the only way to judge your soap/cream is the quality of shave it gives you, what would be your top soap and cream pick?

Thanks guys, as I am trying to find the best soap/cream to purchase because it seems the scents fade relatively quickly and if I use a cologne that will overpower it. So I'm just trying to find what will give me the best shave.
For soaps, either D.R. Harris or Truefitt & Hill. Both produce unbelievable lather and a great shave. For creams, anything by Taylor's. I have many of them, and they all shave wonderfully.

Soaps - D R Harris or T&H. I love the lather both produce.

Creams - I couldn't give the nod to any in particular. They all seem to perform about the same for me personally. I would lean towards the three Ts however.

Jerry

I forewarn you - answers will depend on beard type, blade used, razor used, brush, etc. You probably won't hear too many straight razor users going buck wild over T&H and D.R. Harris, as while they are superb.... they aren't AS GOOD as other options for straight razors - for example Tabac or Will G. Also - by quality of shave, what do you mean? Pure closeness, or comfort? How it leaves yoru face feeling afterwards? Detergent based triple milled soaps (Harris, T&H, Trumpers, Taylors) aren't going to leave your face as soft and moisturized as say QED, Tabac, Will G, Monterrey Soap, etc.

Overall if I truly had to choose just ONE soap, I think the most tractable for my uses would be Tabac. Outstanding for DE, Straight, Feather, etc - and leaves your skin reasonably soft. Super easy to use, and lasts quite some time. Next up for me - Will G. It leaves your face much softer, but doesn't cut as close as the tabac.

Thanks for the information. Yeah, I basically want to get a nice shave(doesn't have to be super close as I only need to shave every other day with my hair growth) but I don't want any of the nicks/cuts I've been getting(although I realize it has to do with the fact that I've only been using my DE for about a week or two). I also am thinking about trying the Feather blades because I have tried the Personnas from Walmart and Merkurs and I feel like they are tugging at my hair at times(and wherever I feel that tug, I end up with blood there after I'm done). So yes, if anyone can advise me for the soap/cream that will shave the best with a Merkur Long Classic DE and Feather/Merkur blades, that is my setup. Thanks.

Tabac is just phenominal stuff. I have never had a bad shave with it. As Joel stated, it just plain WORKS, no matter what method of shave.

In fact - tomorrow will be a Tabac day! :thumbup1:

ketan889 said:
Thanks, and when you guys referred to Tabac, did you mean the soap/cream or both?
The soap is very lubricating, rich, creamy, and gives a very close shave. Scent's apparently not a factor for you, but some people are turned off by the smell of the Tabac soap. I enjoy the smell, but some don't, and I don't care who you are, if you've got nostrils, shaving with a scent you find repulsive is no fun.

-Nick

Do you guys think Proraso competes with the items you guys previously mentioned? I don't really have any creams/soaps right now(other than some samples from C&E and T&H) and I am thinking of placing an order tonight for an Omega tube/tub(not sure which one to get) in addition to some Taylors Sandalwood Cream(the jar). I figure that will be a good start and keep me stocked for at least a year(I shave every other day)...

ketan889 said:
Do you guys think Proraso competes with the items you guys previously mentioned? I don't really have any creams/soaps right now(other than some samples from C&E and T&H) and I am thinking of placing an order tonight for an Omega tube/tub(not sure which one to get) in addition to some Taylors Sandalwood Cream(the jar). I figure that will be a good start and keep me stocked for at least a year(I shave every other day)...

Personal preference plays a big part of each brand/scent/etc. I personally don't like the green Proraso because I don't like the cooling effect on my face. Others love it. You'll just have to experiment a little to find what works for you. That's part of the fun though. You can alwasys trade it if you don't like it.

Jerry

Joel-
I only use a straight razor, and for me DR Harris almond soap is the best shaving medium I have ever used. There are others that are also really good, but DR Harris soap works incredibly well for me.

In general, I prefer soaps over creams, although I used C&E sweet almond oil cream today for the first time and was very impressed.

Drew

ketan889 said:

For me, my favorite soap/cream of the moment is Will G's Peppermint Shea Soap. Joel switched me on to it, and I LOVE it! I was having no end of irritation shaving my tough beard util I tried this soap. Not so with the Will G.

Yesterday, as an example, I used his Peppermint soap with a Slant/Feather blade, did something like 6 passes, in all directions, and got the BEST SHAVE OF MY LIFE!

Granted that I've only been wetshaving for about a month now, seriously, so the Harris and other soaps and creams mentioned above may do as well once I get them.

In the meantime, for ANY NEWBIE, I cannot recommend this soap enough. I lubricates your face, and the lather lasts forever -- you can make mistakes (even with the Slant/Feather combo, which is known to nick people), and come out on top.

5 STARS!!

Tom

Top Bottom