What's new

If My New Wallet Has RFID Protection ...

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
C9E7F7F5-7FC0-4CE9-B7DB-58D3EBD5006F.jpeg
The same way they get the non-stick coating to stick to the pan. :lol:

The anti-theft or RF tags are different than the RFID chips found in credit cards. The anti-theft tags are a simple device that allow for the radio waves being generated by the security gates to bounce off off if they haven't been deactivated. Unlike the RFID chips in credit cards that only have an effective range of a few inches anti-theft RF tags/sensors can easily be 10' apart.

For high value or high shrinkage products anti-theft tags are often inside packaging or even an intrinsic part of an item like being sewn into a clothing label or inside the item (picture is a Porter-Cable sawsall). Even embedded like this they're still effective.

screenshot_636.jpg

That's just it. RFID shielding is supposed to be like a Faraday Cage. The Porter Drill looks like it's in a plastic case. It struck me funny when I found them. I didn't buy it for RFID shielding, but it made me wonder about the effectiveness. Either that, or someone at the factory didn't think it through.

I bought an ID Stronghold RFID wallet about 6+ years ago after I had a credit card skimmed sitting at a bar in an Applebees 50 miles away. I rarely carry a credit card, so I know where it happened as the attempted fraudulent charges were made in the same town on the day I had the credit card in my wallet. The funniest part was that I found out it was skimmed when I tried to buy a bible online for my wife a few days later and the purchase was declined.

Billski

Here I am, 1st again.
I bought an ID Stronghold RFID wallet about 6+ years ago after I had a credit card skimmed sitting at a bar in an Applebees 50 miles away. I rarely carry a credit card, so I know where it happened as the attempted fraudulent charges were made in the same town on the day I had the credit card in my wallet. The funniest part was that I found out it was skimmed when I tried to buy a bible online for my wife a few days later and the purchase was declined.

That’s amusing @njpaddy . And you explained it well.

That's just it. RFID shielding is supposed to be like a Faraday Cage. The Porter Drill looks like it's in a plastic case. It struck me funny when I found them. I didn't buy it for RFID shielding, but it made me wonder about the effectiveness. Either that, or someone at the factory didn't think it through.
Try testing it out. With the anti-theft tags walk through the door of a store that has EAS gates, if the alarm goes off give the tag to a clerk and exit unhindered. Next test, if you have a smart card try using it with a tap and pay reader to see if the wallet actually has any sort of effective Faraday shielding. But yes, it is sort of odd that they didn't use an external anti-theft tag.

Try testing it out. With the anti-theft tags walk through the door of a store that has EAS gates, if the alarm goes off give the tag to a clerk and exit unhindered. Next test, if you have a smart card try using it with a tap and pay reader to see if the wallet actually has any sort of effective Faraday shielding. But yes, it is sort of odd that they didn't use an external anti-theft tag.

I may already have. I didn't see the clerk run it over the deactivation pad, and didn't know they were there until I started transferring stuff over.

Next test, if you have a smart card try using it with a tap and pay reader to see if the wallet actually has any sort of effective Faraday shielding.
What's far more entertaining is to stick the debit card inside your hat band, and pay for the stuff "telepathically" by holding the reader up to your forehead.
:lol: The initial look on their face can be priceless.

IIRC those ID tags were originally for inventory purposes. Alot easier and faster to scan product and update stock with them. Then they tried expanding their role into security, and that's where the problems started.
I've had more alarms go off when I walk out of (and into) stores because they pick up some tag from another store, the clerk didn't deactivate it, etc. And they wave me thru 99% of the time. They've become like car alarms - so many go off that we get desensitized to them and ignore them.

Top Bottom