What's new

If it ain't broke... two out of three ain't bad, grass is always greener etc.

The above may be cliches but I've just realized I should have them tattooed on my forehead in bold and laterally inverted so that I can't fail to see them in the mirror each day when I'm shaving.

I only converted to DE shaving a couple of months ago and by sheer luck discovered early on that I had no particular issues with Shark SS blades, other than their short service life (3 shaves is about it for me). Influenced by the many posts singing the praises of sexier brands like Astra and Gillette I started ordering various sample packs to find my holy grail blade which would be:

- in the same cost range as Shark SS
- at least as efficient and smooth as Shark SS
- a bit longer lasting than Shark SS

As a result of this quest I've had nicks galore because my technique isn't yet good enough for a really sharp blade, and/or suffered bumpy, itchy rashes because my super-sensitive skin has apparently reacted to the more sophisticated coatings. And each time I've gone back to the Sharks to let my face recover enough for the next experiment, which should have been a pretty hefty clue as to what I should be loading in my razor.

Well I've finally learned my lesson; I'll be sticking with Shark SS.

But what about my shaving soap. I mean the Wilkinson stuff-in-a-bowl I have works OK for me, but it's not exactly fancy is it? Maybe some Proraso white?

Oh wait.. if it ain't broke...

The above may be cliches but I've just realized I should have them tattooed on my forehead in bold and laterally inverted so that I can't fail to see them in the mirror each day when I'm shaving.

I only converted to DE shaving a couple of months ago and by sheer luck discovered early on that I had no particular issues with Shark SS blades, other than their short service life (3 shaves is about it for me). Influenced by the many posts singing the praises of sexier brands like Astra and Gillette I started ordering various sample packs to find my holy grail blade which would be:

As a result of this quest I've had nicks galore because my technique isn't yet good enough for a really sharp blade, and/or suffered bumpy, itchy rashes because my super-sensitive skin has apparently reacted to the more sophisticated coatings. And each time I've gone back to the Sharks to let my face recover enough for the next experiment, which should have been a pretty hefty clue as to what I should be loading in my razor.

But what about my shaving soap. I mean the Wilkinson stuff-in-a-bowl I have works OK for me, but it's not exactly fancy is it? Maybe some Proraso white?

Bravo!! You are a true Sharkman.

@Legacoid don’t give up! It’s possible you hit your holy grail blade on the first go, but i’m confident you’ll find something you like even more if you keep trying. I’ve been reviewing blades since i joined b&b and have suffered through some truly awful shaves. But! I’ve also found some seriously awesome blades. My advice is use the shark till you’re 100% confident in your technique then branch out. For $33 you can literally order the entire stock of different blades at tryablade.com. To me that’s no risk at all other than some razor burn.

If you are getting good shaves there is no need to change. However you should be able to change to a different blade without getting nicks, cuts and weepers so keep working on technique; especially blade angle and pressure.
The Wilkinson soaps are readily available so that is a big advantage; if it gives you a good lather then stay with it. Proraso Sandalwood (red), Cella, Palmolive are also readily available and worth trying.

Nothing wrong with this at all... I started with Shark SS back in late 2016 and was my blade of choice for a while until I tried a Shark SC and now it has the daily chore and is my workhorse!!

JK
Me too. I felt sorry for the employee at the "Baby Shark" toy kiosk in the mall with that video playing on loop. Thankfully the volume was really low.
I’d shoot myself lol! How about the i’m a banana? Oh man...

But in all honesty, this one is great! With a good story (chicken attack). You might like it.

Total ear worm!

Sharks are a good blade, many like them. But don't give up your search for the blade that gives you a better shave. Recommendations that aren't in the break the bank price range would be GSB & Nacet. I prefer Nacet over GSB, but you should try them both. Also don't rule out Gillette 7 O'Clock Yellows.

you must chose what works best for you its just like buying a car I could have bought one of those toyboater prius things but as I tow a lot of weight I bought a larger more powerful car . its all down to what works for you and the only way to find out is to try .

Chandu

I Waxed The Badger.
I like blades that others really slag on and some that others praise. I like Derby and Merkur which catch a lot of flack. I also like the Astra's which are almost univerally praised.

Given that you know Sharks's work, I'd occasionally try a new blade, but consider them your mainstaty until one knockes them off their perch. There might be a better blade for you or their might not be. It's up to you whether the pursuit is worth it or not. You might go to tryablade.com and then look at the coating type that's on the Sharks you have and try to stick to trying blades that have the same coating type

The more I shave though, the more I find practice with the same equipment is the key to success. I think the switching about part is fun, but I think it can retard our progress.

Three shaves and done is a fairly typical number people get from s blade. I wouldn’t consider getting only three shaves per blade as a short lived blade in any way.

DE blades come in a wide range of sharpness levels. Shark blades are on the milder end of the range with Feather blades at the extremely sharp end. I cannot use Shark blades as they are not sharp enough to cut my coarse beard. You are fortunate that you do not have such a coarse beard.

As your technique improves, you should be able to progress to sharper, more efficient blades. You did not mention which razor you are currently using. The rule of thumb for many people is that the milder the razor, the sharper the blade you need for optimal use.

As soon as you feel comfortable using the Shark blades, I suggest trying a variety of sharper blades and see which give you the best results. You can purchase a DE blade sampler pack. I recommend getting one with a dozen 5-blade tucks covering the range from the mildest up to the very sharpest. You might want to wait a while before using some of the sharper blades.

I have tried somewhere around 25 different blades. I rank them in categories from least sharp to extremely sharp.

Some blades I find to be too "dull" for my beard, but which may work for you are Shark Super Chrome, Merkur, Van der Hagen, Derby Extra and Derby Premium,

The Astra Superior Platinum blade is a popular blade that work for many people. It is a little sharper than the the Shark blades. Whereas the Shark blades are too dull for me, I can use the ASP blades, although I prefer sharper blades. Although more expensive, Gillette Rubie Platinum Plus blades are similar to the Astra SP.

In the mid-sharp category, I can recommend 7 O'Clock SharpEdge Yellow (which I love in aggressive razors), PolSilver, Gillette Silver Blue, Voskhod, and Gillette branded Wilkinson Sword.

Even sharper yet are: Astra Superior Stainless, Crystal, Personna Lab Blue/Med Preps, Rapira Platinum Lux, Dorco Prime Platinum STP301.

In mild razors, I like the very sharpest blades: 7 O'Clock Super Platinum Black, Personna Platinum Israeli Reds, German made Wilkinson Sword, Gillette Nacet, PermaSharp Super, and BIC Chrome Platinum. Feather blades also fall into this category, but for me they do not last long enough to justify their high price.

Top Bottom