What's new

If I wanted a coticule...

One was a small rosy stone which I was advised not to buy because it was probably soft. It was pretty so I bought it for $80 I think, and guess what? It’s very hard, very fine, and moderately fast.

I bough a "rosy" stone from the "French baker" (1stone in France). This turned out to be one of the best coticules i have tried.
When the seller/vendor provides photos, and you have an idea of what visual characteristics you are looking for it is less of a gable in my opinion.
My first La Grise from Ardennes was an ok stone, but it was difficult to use, and it does not have the same range and versatility as some other coticules i have.

I would not buy a standard or select grade again without actually seeing the stone beforehand.

All the select plus grade stones i bought have been exceptional.

Last edited:
I went from the ADAEE to a Black Ark in about a month. I could shave off the ADAEE but had to lap on pasted balsa to get it comfortable. I was using just a King 1000/6000 for my bevel set and progression. The a couple weeks ago I added a JNAT and old vintage Coti in the same week, along with a Shapton 8k. My shaving world tuned on its head.

I went from the King to the Black Ark and achieved a nice comfortable edge. When I added the 8K to the progression, I could get that same great shave with less work on the Ark.

Next I went from synthetics to JNAT and realized I had bit off more than I can chew and decided to put the JNAT up until I mastered my other stones.

Against my better judgment, and after telling myself to stick, to the Ark for now. I attempted the Coti, its a little 3 3/4" x 1 7/8". Went from the synthetic progression wo the Coticule with slurry, and worked thru the slurry dilution to water. Next I went straight to the Ark for 20 laps. I guess I watch too many Dr. Matt videos. That edge was the best I have ever had. I thought I had achieved mastery of my stones, 😂.

Lastly, I just could not help myself, I decided to go from my synthetics to the Coti to the face. I had to see what all that Coti love is about. I used a light slurry and finished under running water until it wanted to stick with a light touch. That my friends was Nirvana, I am in love. I have about a dozen old razors from ebay, I was able to duplicate the same level of shave comfort to every one I put to that little Coti.
I consider myself fortunate, I have not been doing this long enough to believe I have any skill. I will darn sure take luck at this point.

I would not trade my little Coti for an upgraded wife. And the wife better never ask me to chose between her and that little stone. She may not like the end result.

I've tried many different layers and stones, but the currently mined La Veinette layer, sold as "Selected Plus", are among the best, if not the best, Coticules I've ever used. I think I have tried 50 different Coticules or so, but these are really good and readily available. There are other layers, that are not readily available, that deliver very similar results. But I still find the La Veinette stones to be the easier stone to master.
Exceptionally smooth edges that are very keen but very skin friendly.

If you want a Coticule I can highly recommend them. I've had many other Coticules that leave a tad less keen edge, but these La Veinettes deliver. Mine are painstakingly slow on water and they greatly aid from the use of some pressure, about the amount of a pencil eraser, and a lot of strokes on plain water to finish off a Dilucot. I don't have other Coticules that I would consider better and easily rank the La Veinette layer as the number one Coticule layer. A layer that easily yields great results.

I noticed @JPO also has experienced the outstanding quality of the "Selected Plus" stones. I concur with his assessment and share his experience.

Last edited:
I noticed @JPO also has experienced the outstanding quality of the "Selected Plus" stones. I concur with his assessment and share his experience.
I have two La Veinnette coticules from Ardennes. They are both greate, and easy to use.
After I got my last two La Dressante I think my collection is complete. Famous last words:)

Top Bottom