What's new

If I use blade 'A' in razor 'X' what would you recommend start using in razor 'Z' ?

Hi,

I think for the first I will settle down to use Rapira Swedish Super Steel blades in my Muehle R89....for the first... ;)
Now I want to switch to my Gillette Tech (!THX Multum in parco!) to find 'the best blade' to be used in the Gillette Tech.
Is it that simple as 'what works fine for you in the R89 will work fine the Tech' or is there so much of Heisenbergs
Uncertainty Principle in there, that I better stop reasoning and start asking Schrödingers cat....if I can find it...?

Do I need to repeat the whole sample pack for the Tech or can I shorten the trip based on what I choose for my R89?

musicman1951

three-tu-tu, three-tu-tu
It's not unusual to have a blade that works well for you in multiple razors, but it's certainly no guarantee. PolSilver SI works for me in all my razors. I would start with the Rapira and see how it goes. If it's just as satisfying you're home, and if it's not you're right back to trying a whole bunch.

The R89 and the Gillette Tech are similar in efficiency/aggressiveness. Some say they have specific models that are more aggressive while some models are less aggressive. Thus, the Rapira Super Steel is a reasonable place to start. If you find your Tech is not quite aggressive enough, move to a slightly sharper blade like the Voskhod or Rapira Platinum Lux if you want to stay with the JSC Mostochlegmash blades made in Moscow. However, there are a lot of great blades made in St. Petersburg, Russia and elsewhere around the world.

My experience with different blades is that they either work for me or not regardless of the razor's I use. The only exception are the very sharp blades when used in some very efficient/aggressive razors like Feather, but with a bit of care and little touch, they work just as good.

So far I haven't encountered a blade that works fantastic in one razor, but is terrible in another. You really can't go wrong with the Russian blades made by Gillette like Perma-Sharp, Wizamet/Polsilver, Nacet etc. and with a few minor exceptions like Feather, KAI etc. I really don't see why people bother trying anything else. Of course - YMMV.

Just curious...what happened to Razor Y?:oops:😊
Razor 'Y' is still on the way to me: It is a Gillette Slim, which I bought from www.ebay-kleinanzeigen.de ('kleinanzeigen' is german for 'classified ads').
DHL successfully invest a huge effort to make the delivery process as thrilling as possible. The parcel get lost in Frankfurt, was re-found in Saulheim and reached its (my holiday-) destination after I had left. Now the parcel is sent a second time from there to me at home.
Hopefully this story will end successfully...
This is the short story or Razor 'Y'.....

Thanks for a the helpful hints, thoughts and infos, gents! :)
Still waiting for a delivery of blades from RBC. My first order was delivered very fast. This time....?
They will contain - beside more Rapira Swedish Super Steel blades - some other blades, which were suggested to me by forum members.
Meanwhile I tried the PermaSharps - they are very sharp. And they are more difficult to handle for me at the moment - I am still at the beginning
of this interesting journey.
When the parcel with the blades from RBC will have finally arrived, I will start using the Rapira Swedish Super Steel in my Tech razor at first.
I will report back then ! :)

I agree with @Medivh

In the end you have a bunch of blades which work for you and usually a preferred combo with a specific razor.

I tend to start with a Gillette silver blue as a starting point and variate a bit.

There are however razors which are more forgiving (snmirn) and not (futul). But with some experience and bandaids you can get away with it.

For me most blades either work or they don’t. However, this is mostly true rather than an absolute.

For example, I am not a big fan of Feathers except in the AS/D2, a match made in heaven IMO!

Therefor Z=X ?
Holds for Peano axioms, but not e.g. for bit-vector arithmetic ;). Anyway, you might want to look into this thread:

My experience with different blades is that they either work for me or not regardless of the razor's I use.

My experience too. I don't rotate razors that often, but I never found it to be a factor. The biggest blade factor for me is how often I shave. Blades that work well when I shave every other day don't work as well when I go 5-7 days between shaves, so I have milder blades and sharper blades.

Hi,

I think for the first I will settle down to use Rapira Swedish Super Steel blades in my Muehle R89....for the first... ;)
Now I want to switch to my Gillette Tech (!THX Multum in parco!) to find 'the best blade' to be used in the Gillette Tech.
Is it that simple as 'what works fine for you in the R89 will work fine the Tech' or is there so much of Heisenbergs
Uncertainty Principle in there, that I better stop reasoning and start asking Schrödingers cat....if I can find it...?

Do I need to repeat the whole sample pack for the Tech or can I shorten the trip based on what I choose for my R89?

I'd try the Rapiras in the Tech and go from there.

I work opposite...if a razor doesn't work well with my Polsilver and BIC blades, the razor doesn't remain in my den.

I work opposite...if a razor doesn't work well with my Polsilver and BIC blades, the razor doesn't remain in my den.
Me, just the opposite. I have only one razor. Bought different blades to try, and got lucky early in my search after trying out just 6 blades. Besides, my source for THE blade is local, and very reasonably priced. If that source dries up, I do have alternative blades I like out of the ones I sampled. Sorry, not buying 6 razors. I am a Minimalist...

Reactions: nav
Me, just the opposite. I have only one razor. Bought different blades to try, and got lucky early in my search after trying out just 6 blades. Besides, my source for THE blade is local, and very reasonably priced. If that source dries up, I do have alternative blades I like out of the ones I sampled. Sorry, not buying 6 razors. I am a Minimalist...

I've gone through 70+ razors and have settled on a few favorites.

For the last 30 odd razors, if they didn't get on with Polsilver blades, I got rid of the razor rather than trying a sample pack of blades with the new razor.

I have thousands of polsilver and BIC blades and I don't intend to try other blades to suit a new razor.

Top Bottom