What's new

If I really LOVE the RR SLOC, what else is similar?

I was really chasing the efficiency factor for a long time. I have a Timeless .95, A Gamechanger .84, a Lupo .95 and even a Wunderbar.

The three razors I use most are the Gamechanger .84, the German 37, and the SLOC. Whenever I use the GC .84 or the G37, I always use the SLOC to clean up - espedcially my upper lip and chin. I can be mostly careless. It's pretty darn efficient but really safe to whip around. The GC .84 and G37 are easy to whip around the rest of the face, but not there.

Lately I've taken to using the SLOC by itself (I shave almost every day). I missed a day and used the GC .84 followed by the SLOC and . .. .

. . . .here I am with wondering, would the GC .68 be a similar shave? What else? What do the fine folks of B&B say?

SLOC/DOC razors do tend to be fairly mild. PAA's offerings are indeed adjustable, and would be well worth your time, although stainless or copper will be hard to find.

I recently picked up these O rings to snug up my Eclipse when opened up a bit, and you could do the same with your SLOC. If you place the O rings on the posts between the blade and base plate, you will increase your gap. Depending on the cap (I have not used the SLOC), if you place the rings between the top cap and blade, you may increase the blade exposure slightly.

To directly answer your question, I believe the .64 would be pretty comparable to your SLOC, while a .72 might offer you the comfort while increasing the efficiency somewhat.

SLOC/DOC razors do tend to be fairly mild. PAA's offerings are indeed adjustable, and would be well worth your time, although stainless or copper will be hard to find.

I recently picked up these O rings to snug up my Eclipse when opened up a bit, and you could do the same with your SLOC. If you place the O rings on the posts between the blade and base plate, you will increase your gap. Depending on the cap (I have not used the SLOC), if you place the rings between the top cap and blade, you may increase the blade exposure slightly.

To directly answer your question, I believe the .64 would be pretty comparable to your SLOC, while a .72 might offer you the comfort while increasing the efficiency somewhat.
Thank you!

I have been a big fan of the RR SLOC ever since I first used it several years ago. Even though I have quite a few other razors many of which are much more expensive, I still always enjoy using the RR SLOC. A few months back Italian Barber had the RR OLD razor head on sale which I always wanted to try so I added it to my order. It has now also become one of my favorite razors. It seems to be a tad smoother than the SLOC but still very efficient, consistently providing superb shaves with a variety of different blades. Both the RR SLOC and the RR OLD in my opinion are among the best values in traditional wet shaving, providing exceptionally good shaves for very little money.

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
I have the RR SLOC razor and enjoy that razor over the years, I have a lot of razors in rotation so it does not get used as much. I recently bought a Yaqi 316 polished SS Mellon head and it is slightly more aggressive and slightly more efficient if that is what you are looking for.
Also the New Yaqi SS Mellon head does not have any blade tab overhang. If a person wants a little more boost from the RR SLOC razor all I do is install a extra wide Kai SS blade in for a slight boost in efficentcy and slight increase in blade feel.

Top Bottom