What's new

If I Love The Rockwell 6S' #3 Plate, What Other DE's Would I Enjoy?

I been smitten with my Rockwell 6S for the last 10 months now and it is the only DE I've used since. I tend to like mild shaves like my 6S' #3 Plate, Tech, and Edwin Jagger which still give me an effortless BBS shave every time.

I know I said that the 6S has cured my AD, but I think I might be feeling like bit of a relapse is coming up soon. I've been thinking about picking up another high quality DE, but can't fully decide on what I want yet. The Karve looks great as do the Timeless and I wanted to splurge on a bit of a Christmas present to myself.

Does anyone have any suggestions on what I should pick up and/or blade gap for the new DE? I don't know what the gap in on my #3 plate, but it shaves like an absolute dream - perfectly mild, but still more than efficient enough to easily remove a few days worth of growth from my face.

Thank you!

I like the #3 plate as well. It’s my go to razor too. Best blade for me has been the Permasharps in it. Which blades do you use?

I have a Merkur 34C which shaves with similar mild to mid-aggression. Astra SPs work best for me in that one. Not a high end item, but I don’t own any high end razors to suggest!

There’s no point getting another razor with a similar shaving style. You’re just not going to beat the 6S in terms of mild but smooth shaving. It’s like a tank when it comes to mowing down hair.

Maybe try an adjustable, like the Progress or Variant.

I’m a fan of the 6S on plate 3 or 4, but still use my Progress daily. It’s not quite as smooth, and has considerably more blade feel, but it gives me a closer shave, and can be as mild or aggressive as I like (I vary it between passes).

But if I ever went a few days without shaving (unlikely unless there’s a zombie apocalypse), I’d probably be tempted to reach for the 6S.

I would suggest the RazoRock Game Changer .68. I have a Rockwell 6C and generally use plate #5. I found the Game Changer .68 to be a bit too mild, so I ordered the .84 base plate. That works perfectly for me, but I think it would be too aggressive for you if you're using the Rockwell on plate #3. (I'm assuming from things I've read that the 6S and 6C plates are equivalent to one another.)

I would suggest the RazoRock Game Changer .68. I have a Rockwell 6C and generally use plate #5. I found the Game Changer .68 to be a bit too mild, so I ordered the .84 base plate. That works perfectly for me, but I think it would be too aggressive for you if you're using the Rockwell on plate #3. (I'm assuming from things I've read that the 6S and 6C plates are equivalent to one another.)
This is 100% me as well. In fact, the R3 setting is too much effort to get a close shave. I go R5 or R6. And like you I just picked up the .84 because the .68 so close to perfect that I need to know if that .16 is the true shaving Nirvana I’m looking for. Can’t wait until it comes.

Anyway, yes, think about a GC .68 or maybe the new mamba. Both would give you a similar shave but just enough different to make it interesting to compare.

I have heard many great things about the Karve Christopher Bradley razor. It just depends what guard you order with it. I ordered one last week with the C plate and it should be here this week. I usually shave every other day with the 6S on the 4 or 5 setting. You may want to try out the B plate on the Karve.

Another vote for a game changer. I have a 6c and love the game changer just as much.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Game Changer .68, if your looking for ultra smoothness yet still a good level of efficiency. It's also nearly half the price of the 6s. Can't go wrong with it IMO!

I like the #3 plate as well. It’s my go to razor too. Best blade for me has been the Permasharps in it. Which blades do you use?

I have a Merkur 34C which shaves with similar mild to mid-aggression. Astra SPs work best for me in that one. Not a high end item, but I don’t own any high end razors to suggest!

I've been loving my Personna Lab Blues and Gillette Silver Blues in my Rockwell - a truly supreme and comfortable shave.

And the Game Changer looks really impressive, along with the Karve. I may end up purchasing one of those, but haven't decided which ones yet. Thank you all!

If you want high end Stainless Steel that shaves as well as a Rockwell 6S I recommend a Feather AS/D2. I own and shave with both. I use plate 5 on my Rockwell. The Feather has a slightly different shave angle. You said you like mild, I consider the Feather AS/D2 a mild shaver. I also like using a Voskhod in my Rockwell 6S and Ripira Platinum Lux in my Feather for some reason. But of course blades are very subjective. Good luck.

Game Changer .68, if your looking for ultra smoothness yet still a good level of efficiency. It's also nearly half the price of the 6s. Can't go wrong with it IMO!
I agree completely that the GC is a good choice. But as for price, I paid $80 for my 6S, with one of the discounts that Rockwell often provides. The GC, on the other hand, was $55, and the additional base plate another $30, or a total of $85. So they are about equal in price, and both good deals for quality steel razors. I find the 6S, which I use with plates 3 and 4, to be just about the last word in smoothness. But the GC isn't far behind in that department, and is probably better in build quality, has closer tolerances, and has a thinner, more maneuverable head. So both are good.

The Karve razor with a B or C plate would fit the bill perfectly. I use the Rockwell S on the number 4 plate and bought the C and D plates for Karve.

Still leaning heavily towards the Karve. Super mild shaves are my overall style and preference.

The Timeless also look incredibly promising, but I love the idea of being able to change base plates to dial in the aggression. Tough decisions, lol...

Still leaning heavily towards the Karve. Super mild shaves are my overall style and preference.

The Timeless also look incredibly promising, but I love the idea of being able to change base plates to dial in the aggression. Tough decisions, lol...

All the countless reviews and comparisons lead me to believe the Karve is as smooth as a 6s. I am tempted, however, my Rex also gives smooth shaves and is adjustable, not sure if I need all 3.

All the countless reviews and comparisons lead me to believe the Karve is as smooth as a 6s. I am tempted, however, my Rex also gives smooth shaves and is adjustable, not sure if I need all 3.
I'm not sure I need anything but the 6S after using it for 10 months, but I can see how those with very thick and heavy beards might. In general, I am sold on adjustable razors, whether mechanical or with multiple base plates.

Top Bottom