What's new

If I like my Rockwell 6S but I want a more consistent blade exposure on both sides, which razor should I look at?

I have three razors in my den: the Merkur Futur, the Razorock Gamechanger 0.84 Open Comb, and the Rockwell 6S. Out of the three, the one I favor most is the 6S at settings 2-6 depending on amount of growth because it is the most comfortable on my skin. The one thing I don't like however is that the blade does not fit snugly between the top cap and base plates and has a lot of lateral play before I tighten the handle. Annoyingly this leads to uneven blade exposure on both ends and the razor shaves like it has two different plates. The Gamechanger OC and Futur don't have this problem at all. Is there a razor that I should look at if I want the same level of comfort and modularity/adjustability as the 6S but a much more consistent blade exposure or snug blade setting?

Personally I don't have this issue with the 6S it's always been one of my most consistent razors smooth and efficient on R5/R6 but if you are looking for some extra efficiency yet smooth with a different exposure I can highly recommend these

Razorock Lupo SS 95
Above the tie windor pro SB90
Karve CB C and D
Merkur progress in the adjustable category

M

Member 113878

I don’t have that problem either.
Do you see this with all blade brands you’ve tried?
Do you load the blade with the cap on a flat surface, then putting the base and finally the handle?

I have three razors in my den: the Merkur Futur, the Razorock Gamechanger 0.84 Open Comb, and the Rockwell 6S. Out of the three, the one I favor most is the 6S at settings 2-6 depending on amount of growth because it is the most comfortable on my skin. The one thing I don't like however is that the blade does not fit snugly between the top cap and base plates and has a lot of lateral play before I tighten the handle. Annoyingly this leads to uneven blade exposure on both ends and the razor shaves like it has two different plates. The Gamechanger OC and Futur don't have this problem at all. Is there a razor that I should look at if I want the same level of comfort and modularity/adjustability as the 6S but a much more consistent blade exposure or snug blade setting?
My 6S does not do that. Contact Rockwell CustomerService. I’m sure they will make it right.

Fred D

Member of The Illiterati
My 6S does not do that. Contact Rockwell CustomerService. I’m sure they will make it right.
I had a similar problem when I purchased the Rockwell 6S. After I sent them a couple of pictures and explained the alignment issues they sent me three brand new base plates at no charge. This fixed my issue with alignment. I guess they were familiar with this problem, and I must say they have excellent customer service. I guess there was a mismatch between the base plates and the top cap alignment posts.
My 6C had no alignment problems at all.

Fred D

Member of The Illiterati
I got my 6S around Black Friday 2019. Do you think they'll still work with me or is it too late?

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Looks like you should be covered and not too late, so I would send them an email describing your problem, and add with a couple of pictures if you can.

Looks like you should be covered and not too late, so I would send them an email describing your problem, and add with a couple of pictures if you can.

Thanks, I'll reach out to them. Is a picture like this okay? It's really hard to show since it's only a difference of a couple millimeters of alignment but those millimeters really make a difference when considering how they affect the blade gap and exposure and how we can tell the difference between .68 vs .84 blade gaps and so on.
proxy.php

Fred D

Member of The Illiterati
Thanks, I'll reach out to them. Is a picture like this okay? It's really hard to show since it's only a difference of a couple millimeters of alignment but those millimeters really make a difference when considering how they affect the blade gap and exposure and how we can tell the difference between .68 vs .84 blade gaps and so on.
proxy.php

Maybe add a photo from the top down also, that's what I sent because the misalignment was more noticeable in the photo at that angle.

FWIW when tightening down any DE razor, if the blade tabs are exposed, I gently push one tab in, as I tighten down the top cap of a 3 piece or close the ‘doors’ of a 2 piece - that is the best fix I have found for alignment issues.

I would say the Futur set on 1. I am even getting one for my brother-in-law as soon as it gets replaced due to lost in the mail. If you like adjustable razors, the feather is a nice little entry level razor.

Top Bottom