What's new

If I leave here tomorrow

ouch

Stjynnkii membörd dummpsjterd
Would you still remember me?

Forty years ago today, my dad passed away. Seems like yesterday.

In related news, on this same day, in one of rock music's greatest tragedies, three members of the band Lynyrd Skynyrd were killed in a plane crash.

martym

Unacceptably Lasering Chicken Giblets?
Sir Ouch,
I don’t know what to say to you. I know the pain is less but it’s still there.
For me, I know the time is coming but I am so close to my parents. They have been at my home all week. Dad will be 80 the day after Christmas and Mom is 76.

I know your children will remember you!!

Claudel Xerxes

Staff member
I would like to express my sincere sympathies. I'm a few months shy of two years since my dad has passed. It seems like yesterday, but it also seems like an eternity to me.

I can only imagine the type of man that it would take to shape the however many thousands of ouch's that he had to raise. Judging by interactions that I've had with you on this forum, I would assume that he was a good man and raised his children well.

I hope that you find some solace on such a reminiscent and sorrow filled day.

ouch

Stjynnkii membörd dummpsjterd
I can only imagine the type of man that it would take to shape the however many thousands of ouch's that he had to raise.

A bigamist?

Normally I would say, "Too soon?" Now that I'm older than he lived to be, such formalities don't seem to carry the same weight.

Thanks for the kind words!

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
Father's shape us in ways that we feel long after they have left us. My dad was complex, to put it mildly. I didn't know how much he loved me till I had my only begotten son. It truly is to see my heart walking about outside my body. My deepest condolences, sir.

cleanshaved

I’m stumped
Mr Ouch. Losing a close relation is always hard, time heals but they are never forgotten.

My farther passed 15 years ago and he is often in my thoughts, normally when doing something he would do. Today I was working in the garden, as he always did. His words resonated "you are not a (insert family name) unless you have a garden.
A few years ago I had the urge while shopping to buy some Old Spice AS. I had stayed away from it because it was the only aftershave that my father used. When I got home it hit me that that was the day he passed. I now wear it with a smile, thinking of the old man.

Enjoy the memories.

FarmerTan

Mr Ouch. Losing a close relation is always hard, time heals but they are never forgotten.

My farther passed 15 years ago and he is often in my thoughts, normally when doing something he would do. Today I was working in the garden, as he always did. His words resonated "you are not a (insert family name) unless you have a garden.
A few years ago I had the urge while shopping to buy some Old Spice AS. I had stayed away from it because it was the only aftershave that my father used. When I got home it hit me that that was the day he passed. I now wear it with a smile, thinking of the old man.
Enjoy the memories.
That Old Spice reminds me of me da as well. I can remember smelling that on his pillow, along with Vitalis. Thanks for the memories.

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
Forty years ago today, my dad passed away. Seems like yesterday.

Some things are timeless ... always right with us. Human life being as brief as it is, every relationship is tinged with the knowledge that sooner or later we all die, and we all lose each other. The joy of our time together and the knowledge that that time must all too soon come to an end are both with us always.

May you always enjoy your memories of your father.

Feeling pain means you are alive. Being alive means you can experience joy.

FarmerTan

You don't type a day over 50!!!! Thanks for the kind words.

Dad was an old spice man as well. I should get some.
May I recommend vintage Avon Spicy? Smells better by miles than Old Spice from today, and the original requires a second mortgage.

Alacrity59

Wanting for wisdom
I couldn't tell you what year, day, month, that either of my parents passed. It has been a while for sure. I gave the eulogy at the celebration of their lives for both. I have the dates written down somewhere.

I guess my choice of words shows what I'm headed for. I'm not quite as old a bugger as Ouch but close enough. Friends, relatives, neighbours, etc. have passed . . . some shockingly early . . . some shockingly quickly. Others, more painfully slowly. I celebrate the great times I've shared. I chuckle to myself as I hear myself saying things my dad did. Remembering talking and laughing with a girl sitting on the stairs to the porch of her house who passed way too soon.

I guess I was prepared by my parents. My mother was in training as a nurse and took care of her father who passed away from cancer at a very early age. Years and years of the idea of a party, Irish wake, etc. rather than morbid sadness.

I guess it is up to us to make the choice of how we deal with this stuff. Free Bird is very much one of my favourite songs . . . especially siting on my comfy couch thinking of life, the universe, and everything.

Alacrity59

Wanting for wisdom
Some things are timeless ... always right with us. Human life being as brief as it is, every relationship is tinged with the knowledge that sooner or later we all die, and we all lose each other. The joy of our time together and the knowledge that that time must all too soon come to an end are both with us always.

May you always enjoy your memories of your father.

Feeling pain means you are alive. Being alive means you can experience joy.

Ha. Well put. I still type very very slow.

It's been 22 years since my father passed away suddenly, sitting in his favorite chair.

It is harder on those left behind.

My mother will be 92 next month, living alone for the past 2 decades in the home they both built.

I lost my dad 2 years ago, over the Christmas holidays. He was 65.

Condolences to all of those who have here as well.

Twelve years ago this past week that I lost my father. I know how you feel ouch- there is still an empty feeling but at least the pain has gone. Every time I see my brothers (and their sons) I realize that we have become him.

martym

Unacceptably Lasering Chicken Giblets?
You guys are making me cry!!
I hugged and kissed both my parents this morning as I was leaving for work and told them I love them. I also brewed a pot of coffee with a Chemex for them.
They return to their home tonight!
It’s 40 Miles from mine.

Top Bottom