What's new

If I had to use only one shaving brush from now on, I would use......

If I had to use only one shaving brush from now on, I would use the Rubberset 200-3.

I have a bunch of shaving brushes in rotation. Most of them are vintage brushes that have been reknotted, while a few are custom turned wooden handles. I like them all, but I really like the Rubberset 200-3. It's the right size for my hand, the right weight and balance, and the knot size is a good size at 24mm. Mine was reknotted by me with a Silvertip Badger knot from TGN.

What about you?

200-3.jpg

I'm not sure I could choose. The last two days I have shaved with large and lofty silvertips (30 mm X 69 mm and 30 X 71 mm) and really enjoyed them. They are probably my favorite. However they need really large mugs to perform well and that's not always practical.

If I could have only one it would be the most versatile one. A Franks Shaving 24 mm Finest with a handle shapped like the brush of the OP.

@Tanuki, That is an absolutely beautiful brush! Can you tell us more about the knot - like where did it come from?

@GAW9576 deserves great credit for that handle. Great blank, well turned, great finish. I usually use a fingertip grip, so the 55mm handle is just the right size.

I think that is an 20x63mm boar knot from Shave Forge, lofted to 44mm. Because the knot is set deep and the glue bump widens above the base, it fills the socket which is about 22.5mm in diameter. It is a very deep socket; there is a cork spacer under the knot.

I am also happy with the knots I’ve gotten from The Golden Nib. They stock 16 and 18mm boars, which are handy for reknotting some vintage handles.

Tough call, but at this moment, I'd have to go with my Chubby Synthetic. Super soft tips, great density, and synthetic durability.

A very close second place would be my MacFix (Shavemac Silvertip knot in a Vulfix Grosvenor handle).

fullsizeoutput_b3f.jpeg

The Omega 20102 boar brush. I have tried badger, synthetic and horse brushes and have concluded that the humble boar is the brush for me. The 20102 has the same loft as the 10049 but the handle is not as wide which I prefer. Also it seems to have a denser knot so it is more compact and precise to use and the lather doesn't flow through it as quickly as it does in a 10049 which I also prefer.

https://www.rasoigoodfellas.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/07/20102-1.jpg

Although I'd be bored using one brush, I'd probably stick to my Craving Shaving brush. It's got a great duro synthetic knot that feels amazing and works up tons of lather easily.

SOTD 05222019.jpg

EclipseRedRing

I smell like a Christmas pudding
A bit if a boring selection but I would struggle to choose between these two. A Simpson Chubby 1 and a Duke 3 both in Manchurian. I have read they have the same knot which may explain it, although I do not know for certain. If I had to choose one the it is the Duke 3, the perfect size, and great for face lathering with perhaps a more comfortable handle.
20200221_062539.jpg

Top Bottom