What's new

If I disliked Proraso's red creme...

EB Newfarm

Cane? I'm Able!
Does that mean I really don't like sandalwood scents? Performance was fine, I just did not agree with the scent. Should I not bother with sandalwood?

No. The Proraso Sandalwood, in my experience, is woodier (or something) than some of te other sandalwoods.

Keep trying!!

Not at all. The Proraso Red scent is different from a lot of Sandalwood scents. A really popular one for example, ToBS, smells very different. I own/tried a lot of Sandalwood soaps and creams and most of them have unique scents.

Off the top of my head:
Soap: Proraso Red, DR Harris, Captain's Choice, Henri et Victoria
Cream: ToBS, SJoL, AoS, Castle Forbes

Proraso Red is not bad but it's probably my least favourite Sandalwood scent along with CF. The CF is really woody.

DR Harris and Henri et Victoria are somewhat similar, both pleasant light scents. ToBS, SJoL and AoS are fantastic and all 3 are unique Sandalwood scents.

I didn't hate it but I ended up throwing it away about halfway though the container (Proraso Red). I like TOBS Sandalwood and Cedarwood. I like Stirling Sandalwood.

Proraso just had a "cheaper" smell to me.

I didn't hate it but I ended up throwing it away about halfway though the container (Proraso Red). I like TOBS Sandalwood and Cedarwood. I like Stirling Sandalwood.

Proraso just had a "cheaper" smell to me.

I would agree. I mostly use mine for test lathers LOL.

Proraso red is a true sandalwood scent and most others mentioned such as tobs and aos are more of a cologne type sandalwood with many notes added to create a more layered complex fragrance.

Proraso red is a true sandalwood scent and most others mentioned such as tobs and aos are more of a cologne type sandalwood with many notes added to create a more layered complex fragrance.

That’s not entirely true, it’s a bit subjective. For example, for me Red begins with a heavy dirt/woodsy note, but finishes with a fresh scent during lathering and post shave. If you’ve smelled the Red AS, it picks up right where the soap leaves off, heavy on the fresh with a hint of sandalwood.

I do agree that TOBS, DR Harris, and AOS are more complex and cologne-like. I actually prefer AOS the most in terms of scent and feel that it has the most true sandalwood scent, though a bit sweet.

To the OP:

All the soap scents mentioned are quite different. They really bear sampling each on their own, unless you have a general sandalwood scent allergy or something.

TOBS is the more definitive Sandalwood scent.

I buy a sandalwood soap that has real sandalwood oil in it and the scent is the same as TOBS Sandalwood

I welcome everyone to pick up a straight pure sandalwood essential oil and then ask yourself if it truly smells like tobs or aos , they don’t and are far from them actually. Tobs and aos are more on the cologne side , this subject may be subjective and these are my opinions. Proraso has a sandalwood scent with the creams components making up a large part of the scent as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Proraso red is the king of Sandalwood. True Sandalwood and nothing more nothing less.

Anyone who dislikes it please don't buy it.
It will help me stock it more easily.

All the other Sandalwoods are bubblegum to me.

The "Try That Soap" web sites tries to analyze, compare and contrast various soap scents. They list Proraso Red as a pure sandalwood scent. It contains Santalum album, which is one type of sandalwood essential oil. There are several species of plant/trees that can be called sandalwood.
Some other soaps like Captain's Choice sandalwood are also simple scents.
Some other sandalwood scents contain a mixture of sandalwood and cedar.
Then there are those like TOBS that contain a complex mixture of scents, of which sandalwood may not even the primary component.
Thus, if you like pure scents, Proraso Red is great. If you like a more complex scent, the TOBS is a good choice. Every nose is different. Isn't it great to have choices?

EB Newfarm

Cane? I'm Able!
Don't worry, I won't buy any more Proraso Red- because as stated, I didn't like it. What I was trying to figure out is if it is if other sandalwoods would be different. Got my answer. Thanks for the helpful responses. Probably going to try a Stirling sample.

I try to select products is each scent category. A successful choice is a shave cream or after shave that you can't walk by without taking the cap off for a whiff. I am very lucky that I have several that fit this description. I have others, Tabac that wasn't a favorite when I first purchased it. Tabac has willed me to love with fabulous performance and scent that is complex. Once I understood the scent profile of Tabac I started to really like it.

MM879

I find Proraso Red and TOBs Sandalwood to be two *very* different interpretations of Sandalwood.

Proraso Red imho is a simple scent - more of a pure Sandalwood without other notes
TOBs Sandalwood is quite complex with Sandalwood as one of the lingering notes

I and my wife much prefer TOBs.

TOBs Sandalwood is my current favorite cream

Stirling sandalwood smelled like oatmeal cookies to me. I though it was very/too sweet. I like Stirling the least for sandalwood. They also have a vanilla sandalwood but I have not yet tried that

TOBS smells nice, like a cologne. I really like TOBS scent profile but some feel it’s too much like a musky cologne vice sandalwood. I generally like most scents though (with exception of floral or strong powder-y stuff). Musky might be the wrong descriptor.

Fine absolut santal is very nice scent and one I’d also recommend. It’s woodsy but a bit sweet. I like it the most on just scent profile. I believe it’s similar/modeled after AoS.

I also enjoy Proraso red but understand it’s a scent that is not for everyone. All the above smell much different than Proraso.

Ymmv

Last edited:
I'm smelling all the time the Pre shave red proraso cream. Such an excellent scent. Raw Sandalwood. No cologne type, no bs. Direct Sandalwood in your face. I'm addicted. I bought the soap and the shave cream too, excellent performers. As for the lotion, nothing like the shave cream or the soap. But still nourishing and good smelling.

Randyman

Top Bottom