What's new

If gillette made safety razors today?

Why would they ever want to promote a shaving method where in real terms (inflation adjusted) the price of the key profitable product has dropped 85+ percent in the last 45 years?

The biggest potential for them to ever come back in the USA is if they could design a blade that would be a diametrically different type of blade where the material/grind on the blades would take a massively sharp edge easily at production, but would last only 1 shave. People are willing to spend $5 a cart which will last roughly a week, so unless plastic costs go through the roof and metal costs drop below the basement, there will still be a larger profit margin for them to realize by making 1 cart that would last a week than making 7 metal blades that last a day, even if the 7 blade pack cost more than a single cart.

let's put it this way- what if gillette made a special anniversary edition nickel plated fatboy in a replica case from 1958- and put it for sale at a list price of 185.00 us dollars? Would you buy one? Now what if you found out it was made in india or china- would you still buy one?

no & no!

Gillette still make razors, they've just updated the materials and design.
I got my nice new Gillette 7 O'Clock safety razor from India today, for US$7.75 including postage and five 7 O'clock SP blades.

It's an interesting plastic razor where the top clicks down on the blade.

Blade gap is 22 thousandths of an inch.

I still have 10 hours to wait before I can test it out properly. It will be interesting to compare it to the plastic Wilkinson Sword Classic I got the other day, which gave me an excellently close shave.
Regards,
Renato

P.S. Using this shaver reminded me strongly of using the old single blade disposable razors. It felt somewhat rough relative to metal razors. On the other hand, the overall shave it gave was quite okay - close, no nicks.

Last edited:
Top Bottom