What's new

if anybody uses an electric razor, can you compare that to a disposable razor for me?

i'm wondering how often you would have to clean your electric razor and change the blades in order to get the closest shave possible

are they better than disposable razors? and if so in what sense?

i shave everyday so i was wondering which ones would be better price-wise and if theres a significant difference in how the close the shave is

yes i know that using straight blades would be better but i'm starting college soon and thus won't have the time to properly get into those until about 1-2 yrs later

Random,

First, welcome to B&B! I have an electric shaver. It makes a nice paperweight! For electric questions, you are about as far away from home as you can get! However, for less than $75 bucks, you can acquire a nice DE razor and enough blades to last at least two years! Even being just a bit extravagant, for around $125 you can include a quality badger brush and a few shaving soaps. It all depends on what you truly want to accomplish. Using a DE razor should give you a better shave, much less or no razor burn, plus it's an enjoyable experience, not a chore.

Tell me, what are you really looking to accomplish?

Randy

Welcome to Badger & Blade!!!

Here's a good post to check out.

It should be added that once you have your form down, shaving with a DE will be faster than an electric.

In addition you will have the option of choosing which fragrance you want to start your day off with. Long night studying? You'd be amazed how a peppermint or citrus based shaving soap will wake you right up.

Add to that the availability and afford-ability of some excellent colognes through the Badger and Blade Decant Club.

Finally, and most important, you'll be the cleanest shaven man around - exuding confidence - a definite turn on for the ladies. :ladysman:

With electrics you have positives and negatives.
Waking up to some machine buzzing in your ear removing, through a combination of cutting and pulling, a portion of your beard but leaving behind more stubble than your first pass with a DE.
In a year you will be forced to replace the screens and blades costing almost the amount of the razor if not more, compared to a fresh DE blade in the $0.10/week range.
Instead of waking to incredible fragrances, your olfactory system will be greeted with the smell of old whiskers, machine oil, and whatever else the unit produces while trying to give you that promised shave.

Oops I forgot the negatives...let me get back to you. :idea:

Good Luck with the decision. Let us know what you decide.

Random,
I agree with the above posts. When I initially began shaving I was a Gillette Sensor Excel user and eventually moved up to the Mach 3. After this, I began experiencing massive amounts of neck irritation and numerous ingrowns and razor bumps. Instead of reverting back to the sensor I thought it'd be better to go with an electric...ended up with a rotary electric. It performed its preset function and while my nexk was not visibly irritated, it was irritated. What I mean is that despite the normal color of the skin, I could not even get water on my neck (much less anything else) without it burning like nobody's business. I suffered this way fora couple years before finding B&B. After that I picked up a C&E Best Badger Brush for $35 and started back with the MACH 3. Things were better but the neck irritation resurfaced. Since then I have acquired a few DE razors and neck irritation has virtually vanished.
My thoughts: Even though you may not have the time or money to get caught up in buying all the soaps, creams, colgnes, etc that some do, all you really need is a decent brush, a good soap or cream, some asb, and your preferred cologne. My younger brother did this and has had monsterous improvements in his neck irritation and ingrowns. His kit includes the C&E Best Badger Brush, Merkur HD, C&E Sienna Shave Soap, and enough blades from me to last 6 months or more. All he has had to spend is about 85 bucks....definitely cheaper than spending around 100 bucks for an electric plus an extra 30-45 bucks per year on replacement blades. Do the right thing, make an informed decision, and choose DE shaving...you won't be sorry.

Hi Random,

First off, let me admit to the forum that I own an electric razor. Mine is a Panasonic Linear, which can be used wet or dry and has IC which makes sure the cutting speed remains constant through light or dense beard. That being said, since I gave up its companion (the Mach3) for my first double-edged razor, it has been relegated to my S.O.'s use in trimming my neck hairs between visits to the barber.

When I started wetshaving, I assumed it would be a hobby or something fun to do on weekends. I quickly found that my face and neck had much less irritation, I was able to touch my neck after shaving without pain, and I had a much better looking shave. The time difference is negligible when comparing wetshaving to the time it will take to get a good shave from an electric (if you have a beard anything like mine). Also, the cost of an entry level wetshaving setup will be less than or equal to the cost of a decent electric.

Please consider taking the wetshaving route. If you don't, I would recommend that you research the foil versus rotating head shaver designs before purchasing. Having had both, I find that was the biggest factor in the shave quality of electrics. Cleaning is easy enough for either; the shave quality is what matters.
- Justin

There are several other college students on the board (rossination) who could confirm the DE choice as being the way to go, but the decision is yours.

I have really enjoyed the scents and aromas associated with wet shaving, and have marveled at how what was once a dull routine has now become an anticipated part of my morning ritual.

Get a DE, a C&E or Savile Row brush, a couple of delicious smelling creams, and you'll never look back.

DE I think would be your best choice.
After spending $15 on 10 Sensor blades I sent my grandfathers straight off to restored and bought 2 more (one for a honing project). There is not and electric made that can shave as close as a DE (I even think Bic does a better job). I am going straight. Shaving soap is inexpensive also. Gets some killer after shave and cologne and you will have to beat the women off of you!!!

randomtw said:
i'm wondering how often you would have to clean your electric razor and change the blades in order to get the closest shave possible

i shave everyday so i was wondering which ones would be better price-wise and if theres a significant difference in how the close the shave is

yes i know that using straight blades would be better but i'm starting college soon and thus won't have the time to properly get into those until about 1-2 yrs later
Random, welcome!
I shaved with an electric for 30+ years until I "saw the light!" :w00t: a couple years ago.

IMO the shave with an electric cannot compare to a shave with a "disposable"--you will never get as close a shave with an electric. It'll be faster for sure, 2 minutes, zip-zip, you're done, but the shave will be barely adequate (I would get a five o'clock shadow at 2). That said, I got my best shave (relatively speaking) with a rotary electric (e.g. Norelco) vs. a foil electric (e.g. Braun).

Your best shave will be with a cartridge or dual edge ("safety razor") razor, a decent shave soap or cream, using a shave brush. A step down would be to use a shave cream or gel from a squeeze tube. Goo from a pressurized can is at the bottom of the barrel. I would also suggest not using a "disposable" razor, the kind where you throw away the whole thing...they're too light. Get a cartridge disposable with as few blades as necessary to give you a good shave (Sensor, Mach3).

As for "not having the time"...trust me, you'll have time. After the first semester or so you'll be able to manage your time quite well.

--Mark

i'll be living in the dorms for at least a year or 2

i didnt say i wouldnt be moving down that route later on, i already am willing to

i'm just wondering do i really want to bring that much into the bathroom everytime i wanna shave?

Hi Random, welcome.
I started with a cartridge and moved to an electric before picking up a DE. I've used the flat foil screen electrics and those with the three rotating heads. I have also used dry electrics and wet/dry electrics. My findings are pretty much the same as Justin's. The dry electrics are useless. Unless you have a thin beard and tough skin they will murder you. The wet/dry razors are considerably better and much more expensive. Of these, the rotating head razors are designed for the rounded areas of your face (chin, jaw) and work well in those areas up to a point. The flat foil screens are designed for the flatter surfaces (cheek and neck).

An electric of any kind is pretty much useless for anything other than a final touch-up pass on those problem areas (for most, this is the neck area). I do 2 passes with a DE and a final touch-up with the wet-dry electric, which is also a Panasonic (~$150). The third pass is against the grain and the foil screen seperating my skin from the razors ensures I don't do too much damage. It also ensures that the shave isn't as close but I cannot do an against the grain pass with a blade. A cartridge actually causes significant irritation (3 passes with dull blades for every stroke); particularly when used as instructed on the commercials (one long pass attempting to completely clear an area). Simply replacing the cartridge with a DE and doing two passes instead of one will get much better results. If you do go the electric route the wet/dry feature is a necessity and the flat screen is superior to the rotating heads IMO. They are quite expensive however.

When I travel I still use the mach3 followed by the electric (very difficult to travel with DE blades). The results are inferior but adequate. If I were to spend more than a couple days anywhere I would mail DE blades to that location so I wouldn't have to use the mach3.
Cheers,
Jeff

randomtw said:

i didnt say i wouldnt be moving down that route later on, i already am willing to

i'm just wondering do i really want to bring that much into the bathroom everytime i wanna shave?
Put "everything" (razor, cream or soap, brush...thats not much) into a little container to take with you. You'll score major cool-ness points in the residence hall if you get your technique down before you go in the fall, so they don't see you with nicks on your face. Pick out some intensely-fragrant creams or soaps that'll fill the bathroom with a scent other than bodies ( :mellow: ) or deodorant ( :bored: ). And think of how you might work your "new hobby" into conversation with the girls! You get let 'em stroke your face to see how smooth it is and how you're not into the whole "grunge face" bit. :ihih:

--Mark

Let me try here...

Random asked how often he has to clean his electric razor or change the cutting blades/foils to achieve a good shave. You have posted in a wet shaving forum so you can already assume what most of your answers are going to be. You also mentioned straight razors. OK...

I never got a good result from electric shavers trying Braun as the most recent purchase. The shave sucked no matter what I did. This has been reiterated above. Since you are asking how you can get a better shave with one, it might be a good guess that you aren't going to get one.

Moving along from electrics, you have disposable razors and shaving cream like Neutrogena or Edge. In general, do not go the disposable route (there are exceptions though like perhaps the Bic Metals). The blades are generally inferior and you will get nicked up and have generally crappy shaves.

From there it is up to disposable cartridges like the Fusion, Mach3, Sensor, Schick Extreme3 etc... Nearly all of us on these boards have been there and that is why we are now posting here. For the most part, the shaves are much, much improved over the disposables but many gents have problems with razor burn, ingrown hairs and irritation. They are also ungodly expensive with a 10 pack of cartidges costing around $15 every 10 weeks for the rest of your life, that is if you don't want to keep up the the 3/4/5/6 blade improvements they make every year.

That bring us to where we are now - old style double edge safety razors which is how most of us here shave. We use badger/boar/synthetic brushes, wonderous smelling and lubricating creams and soaps, old style heavy metal razors and 10 cents a pop disposable double edge razor blades like your grandpa used. The other shaving style is straight razors where you replace the razor and disposable blades with a straight style razor, but I would guess a minor percentage of the people on this board use straight razors more often than their DEs.

You will not be bring a crap load of stuff into the bathroom. You presumable have a shower/travel bag you take into the bathroom. You would use a brush, razor and a tub or tube of cream, a 10 pack of blades, and you are set. You make the upfront purchase once and the only thing to replace is blades which are cheap and plentiful and shave cream when you run out after 6 months. People shave like this every day but it will take maybe 10 minutes or so as opposed to 2 minutes to a bad shave with an electric. We all find it to be a much more joyful experience too (once we got the technique down) from the days when shaving sucked - now I look forward to it. Ask away if any questions, we are a helpful lot.

Dennis

I can't really add to what has been said, but I will because, well, I can't help myself.

I bought an electric razor to supplement my Trac II use several years ago, just for those times that I was maybe in a rush, or needed a quick touch-up. It did that, but at a cost.

The shave is EXTEMELY irritating, and on those occasions when I did a complete shave with the electric, my face was red and irritated for a couple of days. It is a truly bad way to shave.

After about a year of trying to use the electric, I went back to using my Trac II exclusively, and at least I wasn't rubbing a layer of skin off along with the beard.

But, in all honesty, the DE shave is second to none, and it will not cost you more to equip yourself thusly. An inespensive brush, a simply Merkur HD, a small bowl, a tube of Proraso, and 100 Derby blades, and you've spent the same amount, or less, then you would on a mid to high end electric, which is what you would need to buy anyway. After a couple of weeks of careful shaving and some trial and error, you'll be shaving clean.

I'm not saying that you have no options. I'm just saying that, from my experience and from the experiences of others on this board and on SMF and elsewhere, that wet shaving is easily learned, is more comfortable, and maybe even fun (I know, that sounds strange, but it's true).

At least consider this route. There is a TON of support if you have problems/questions, and the chicks dig a clsoe shave. That's the truth.

Just consider it, it's a different route, but an truly rewarding one.

Peace,

Pierre

randomtw said:

Random, I am a fairly recent graduate of a small undergraduate college here in Oklahoma and lived in the dorms for three years. No bathrooms in or attached to the rooms, but those down the hall bathrooms and showers. What I did was buy a small plastic bin with holes everywhere about 12 in by 10 in (or so) to put my shampoo, soap, washcloth and shaving gear in. In terms of DE shaving this would still be acceptable but might require a slightly larger basket if you wish to carry a bowl for lather in (but maybe not). What I am envisioning is a small bowl from walmart (mine cost 50 cents), which inside it is holding your razor, brush and tube of shave cream. Next to that is your shampoo and body wash or soap and then your face soap. All you do now is go to the shower stall and take care of that. Next, you move to the sinks (and they'll likely have a shelf to put your basket on), heat the brush and bowl up under hot water, empty the brush, squeeze out some shave cream, lather away, and shave. Just that easy. Trust me.

teamacacia said:
Random, I am a fairly recent graduate of a small undergraduate college here in Oklahoma and lived in the dorms for three years. No bathrooms in or attached to the rooms, but those down the hall bathrooms and showers...
Just out of curiosity, what was the reaction of your dorm-mates when you shaved with a brush & DE?

--Mark

mantic said:
Just out of curiosity, what was the reaction of your dorm-mates when you shaved with a brush & DE?

--Mark

Mark,
Unfortunately, I was not as enlightened those days as I am now. At the time, I was either using the sensor excel or m3 plus canned goo. I moved to the electric while in med school and now to DE shaving as a resident. ?Straight's as an attending doc?

Personally, I wish I had a de razor as it'd left me with less irritation and a better shave.

In terms of the set up mentioned above, I think this would be easily done as I did something very similar while in undergrad.

Sorry to cut short, but SWMBO is now ready to head back out to the Jamaican beach! Hasta luego.

randomtw said:
I have used both foil razor (Braun) and rotating blades razor (Philips/Norelco).
My cleaning operation on both kind of razors consists into blowing off the beard cuttings from the receptacle after each shave.Unless your face is unusually oily you don't need more cleaning than this.

The only advantage over a "manual" razor is that the electric is faster.
You get a quicker but poorer shave.

On my face foil razor gave a little better shave and with less irritation than the philips "double action" but the foil is quite delicate,one small excess of pressure and it will rip away so you have to replace the expensive piece of tinfoil.The older Norelco/Philips shaver gave a less close shave and the heads lasted quite a long time,but beware of the newer ultrathin super close shave heads, they will self destroy in no more than a couple of years of use.

And theyr shave still suck.
Even in comparison to a cheap disposable.
With the worst available canned shaving foam you can find.

If you are on a tight budget i suggest to go for BIC Metal disposables and some canned foam (Check the cheaper brand,even the expensive ones will never match a good soap/cream so save some money for the future).
After some practice you will consistently get a far better shave than with any electric.The cost over two years will be comparable to that of buying a decent electric,keeping in mind the previous point about life expectancy of electric razor heads...
But at least you'll have decent shaves.

When i was a sinner i used the philips on working days and a BIC black (BIC metal for those on the other side of the ocean...) with canned foam on weekends or for any "special" occasion,and the difference was noticeable.

randomtw said:

An excellent way to minimize your kit is to use shaving sticks from QED. They are available in a huge assortment of fragrances that smell incredible, are affordable and come in a very portable form factor.

To use, apply the soap directly to your face and with your brush, create the lather directly on the ol visage. You should have enough soap/lather in the brush for all passes. If not simply reapply some soap.

You would be surprised how little space a good razor, Edwin Jagger (Crabtree & Evelyn) brush and soap take up. Add a small container of after shave and a small 1oz bottle of decanted cologne. All of the above item would fit in the palm of my hand.

randomtw said:
I use a straight razor every evening and although I love them, I receive just as close of a shave from a properly used DE. The DE would be a great jumping off point. Much of the technique used for DE will serve you well when you are ready to try a str8.

fatpig said:
If you are on a tight budget i suggest to go for BIC Metal disposables and some canned foam (Check the cheaper brand,even the expensive ones will never match a good soap/cream so save some money for the future).
After some practice you will consistently get a far better shave than with any electric.The cost over two years will be comparable to that of buying a decent electric,keeping in mind the previous point about life expectancy of electric razor heads...
But at least you'll have decent shaves.

When i was a sinner i used the philips on working days and a BIC black (BIC metal for those on the other side of the ocean...) with canned foam on weekends or for any "special" occasion,and the difference was noticeable.

any links to the bic metal disposables and some canned foam?

what's types of manual razors are there? is it just de and straight?

lets say i have a budget of about $150-200 dollars, what should i get to start off? if i can get something significantly better for a budget of $250, then link to those items plz

i can imagine the reactions of the ppl in the dorms as i shave each morning lol

oh well :p, you guys convinced me to go this route lols

is there such a thing as a starter kit for this kind of stuff?

Top Bottom