What's new

if anybody uses an electric razor, can you compare that to a disposable razor for me?

randomtw said:
whats the difference between merkur hd, parker 60r or 90r?
The Parker 60R, 90R, (and 96R) are essentially the same razor, with different handle designs. They all use a "twist-to-open" head (like the old Gillettes), about 4 inches long and weigh about 2oz. Unfortunately, the only importer is a guy on eBay, but that also means you can get a really good deal on one if you bide your time and get in a minimal bid. I had to try three times before I got one for a price I could live with.

The Merkur HD is a screw-off head, about 3 inches long, and about 4oz. It is a *much* more solidly built and higher quality razor than the Parkers, though the Parkers are certainly acceptable. Merkurs are available from a fair number of online retailers, such as www.classicshaving.com, www.qedusa.com, and www.menessentials.com

Hope that helps!

I never had such a terrible rash and irritation as when I shaved one day about 25 years ago with an electric razor. I'm not saying improvements haven't come about since then, but I have no intention of ever using one again. As it is, my beard's so heavy that I have all I need just to get a close shave with a DE or a straight, so I just don't see myself letting a machine pinch or pull my stubble off. Even my dad who's 84 and who doesn't have a heavy beard like mine went back to traditional wetshaving after Lord knows how many years of using an electric.

Jeff

Random,

there is truly no comparison between an electric and a DE- other than the difference between petting your own dog and then petting a rabid pit bull.:eek:

due to not knowing how to shave and being a black male, I had problems with my shaving routine( canned goo, multi-blade razor) and went the electric route.

as a result, I suffered with razor bumps all the time- which would get hard over a period of time. no matter how I prepared my face, the bumps were there. in fact, at times i would have to forego "shaving"(remember, with an electric they should call it ripping or pulling) for a period of 1-2 days.

sure, electrics are quick, but the time spent is still a waste.

plus, the cost of replacement heads are ridiculous; normally 1/3 of the price of the razor itself. also, after a year, they come out with an upgraded model and soon your heads become the search for the holy grail. what they dont tell u is that if u shave regularly, u must change your heads at least twice per year.

to top it off, whatever u clean the razor with, u will b putting on your face. this may have contributed to the condition of my skin.

since making the change, many different people have commented on how smooth my face looks- and the fact they havent seen any bumps or problems. that in itself shows the difference.

Marty

o btw i just remembered that i forgot to include this

even when i shave with a new cartridge blade on my mach3 i still have a very visible grey area where my moustache used to be

with the merkur hd will this grey area disapper? if not what are some recommendations to get rid of this grey area?

Top Bottom