What's new

If All Russian Blades Were To Stop Production

I would be comfortable using Personna Lab Blues, Wilkinson Sword, Shark SS

So I don't mind if Russian blades stop production. Even though I do like a lot of them.

If Russian blades were unavailable (heaven forbid,) I'd stock up on Gillette 7 O'clock Super Platinum (black) from India and Israeli Red Personnas.

A list as long as your arm of existing blades in my rotation from various different countries, in 2 distinct categories : favourites (4 shaves per blade) and daily drivers (3 shaves per blade.....

Favourites - 4 Good Shaves Per Blade

Egypt
Racer Super Class Platinum
Silver Star Super Stainless

Germany
Wilkinson Sword

Greece
Bic Chrome Platinum

India
Gillette 7 O'Clock Permasharp Stainless (Green)

Israel
Personna Platinum Chrome

Turkey
Zaza Supreme Stainless

Daily Drivers - 3 Good Shaves Per Blade

Egypt
Lord Super Stainless
Lord Platinum Class
Rainbow Super Stainless
Shark Super Stainless

India
Centwin Super Platinum

Pakistan
Treet Dura Sharp

I'm not saying that I wouldn't miss the Gillette 7 O'Clock SharpEdge (Yellow) that I use as one of my current favourites
Or indeed the Astra Superior Platinum, Gillette Nacet Stainless, Ladas Super Stainless, Perma-Sharp Super, Rapira Platinum Lux, Super Stainless & Swedish Supersteel, Sharp Star Platinum or Sputnik Teflon Coated that I use as some of my current daily drivers.................

But there are a lot of other great blades out there from Egypt, Germany, Greece, India, Israel, Pakistan and Turkey that are just as good as or even better alternatives to the Russian blades

If there were no more Russian blades available, what other blade or blades would you use?

Such is my love for Russian blades, with the Mostoch-something-something factory closing that produces the wonderful Voskhods and the PPI factory which produces my beloved Perma Sharps & Nacets if I was never able to use any of their blades ever again the first thing I would do is sit in a darkened room and cry for a few hours.

After that I would grow a beard...

When the beard would get too long I'd eventually use Sharks or Israeli Personnas.

I don't use 'em now, so I wouldn't lose any sleep over it. I've used the GSB (the vendor included five with a razor I'd bought). They were okay, but I didn't have visions of rainbows and unicorns when I used them.

OTOH, if Feather and Kai were no more, I'd be an unhappy camper, but could probably "subsistence shave" with Personna reds and blues.

Last edited:
If all Russian blades were to suddenly become unavailable, I probably wouldn't even notice. Except that I would have to listen to all the other denizens of this forum complain.

I think I have enough now to last for the rest of my life, unless I get very lucky in the longevity department.

Though I already have enough blades to last me to just about the year 2200, I'd get Shark Super Chrome, Personna Med Prep, Croma Diamant, and Feather blades.

If all Russian blades were to stop production tomorrow, I would be okay. I have 300 Astra SPs and 200 Voskhods. I would buy a few more of each of those from remaining stock. I would also buy 200 or so each of Ladas, GSB, and 7O'Clock Super Stainless (Russian Green). Those would keep me for a few years.

Once those were gone I would continue to buy Israeli Red Personna, Crystal, and German Wikie. I also like Treet Black although they don't seem to last very long.

Russian blades are my favorites so far (so I hope this never happens), but there are lots of good blades out there. Also 100 packs do take a while to get through, especially since I can get two weeks or a month out of some of my blades.

I would also give Lord and Shark a try.

Last edited:
Top Bottom