What's new

idiosyncrasies - one razor for the whole shave?

I have a little idiosyncrasy I'd like to admit to. I have an aversion to using more than one razor on any given shave. I know it is not rational. "Use the best tool for the job," but it gives me a little pause/angst to have to say nope, can't do it with this one, have to switch. It's more of overcoming a challenge thing, than a true disorder. I'll try to legitimize it by suggesting it is important if I am traveling, but really, pleeeeze. I think it started when I was learning to use Feather straight razors and suffering some occasional really bad slices and I was disappointed I might need to switch to something else....and at the time, I think I had no DE razors, only cartridge, which seemed to make the defeat worse.

Am I alone in this? My attitude has matured quite a bit in the 10-15 years since I started, but I do still prefer to start and finish with same razor, as irrational as that might be. I guess it is practical from a cleanup and blade usage perspective...

I agree. One razor for the shave. With the right technique (or techniques) I believe you can get everything, everywhere, every time.

The exception is straights and wedge blade razors. If it's not sharp you either stop and touch it up, or reach for a sharp one.

I think the downside for me is that I end up finishing the shave with either more passes or more pressure than I really needed and irritation results (at minimum, I suppose). I've even done this recently with some really nice and well regarded razors, that just didn't end up being my cup of tea. Have to remind myself to "put the razor down."

EclipseRedRing

I smell like a Christmas pudding
When I first started using the Feather AC I would finish with a cleanup DE pass. Now my Feather technique has improved I use one razor per shave although on rare occasions I will change the blade part way through.

Hannah's Dad

I Can See Better Than Bigfoot.
1620296852780.gif

Sounds like a first world problem :)

The beauty of an adjustable: allows dialing in while on the fly.

I often use a different razor for the head and for the face because the landscapes are so different.

linty1

My wallet cries.
Yes, just one razor for me per shave. I usually? Switch razors when I shift to a new blades, but the last two rounds have been the same razor, even with a new blade.

One razor one shave anything else is border line physco compulsive lol and I’d love to hear the argument in favor of why using more then one is justified

I often shave with just one DE razor, ..done and happy. When I plan on taking more time, I also have a shavette, (one of the half DE blade ones), for touchup, I don't do much with it, but, I can find one or 2 spots to go over, no fresh lather, just a little water. Since I took my time, and the shave came out good, after usually 3, or sometimes 2 passes, I'd have to call it OCD. There's no need for the shavette, and I could have done touchup with the DE I was already using anyway, there's no good argument for it. Imagine my disappointment when I wet my hand, and can't find anywhere to touch up, and the shavette doesn't even get picked up...:)

Top Bottom