What's new

Identifying Post-2016 Derby Extras

I'm hoping for clarification on identifying post-2016 Derby Extras, specifically the 5-blade tuck. The image below seems to reflect the conventional wisdom; i.e. the post-'16 5-blade tuck is printed in landscape, while the pre-'16 is in portrait. I've seen this stated numerous times in different threads.

Here's the image (credit to @ShavingByTheNumbers):

full

However, when I look at the product listings of current on-line suppliers, virtually all of them show the portrait oriented label. They haven't updated their old stock images, perhaps?

But then I recently came across a 5-blade tuck that, given its source, I would believe to be recent production (or at least post-2016), and it is also in portrait mode. It is also different in that it is not wrapped in cellophane, and instead has a foil seal on the dispenser. Finally the label is a different color, darker green. Here's a picture of a known pre-'16 tuck (left) and this new one I recently got (right):

IMG_8764.JPG

What do folks think; is the tuck on the right post '16, despite the label orientation?

I'm hoping for clarification on identifying post-2016 Derby Extras, specifically the 5-blade tuck. The image below seems to reflect the conventional wisdom; i.e. the post-'16 5-blade tuck is printed in landscape, while the pre-'16 is in portrait. I've seen this stated numerous times in different threads.

Here's the image (credit to @ShavingByTheNumbers):

full

However, when I look at the product listings of current on-line suppliers, virtually all of them show the portrait oriented label. They haven't updated their old stock images, perhaps?

But then I recently came across a 5-blade tuck that, given its source, I would believe to be recent production (or at least post-2016), and it is also in portrait mode. It is also different in that it is not wrapped in cellophane, and instead has a foil seal on the dispenser. Finally the label is a different color, darker green. Here's a picture of a known pre-'16 tuck (left) and this new one I recently got (right):

View attachment 1376856

What do folks think; is the tuck on the right post '16, despite the label orientation?

Talking through my hat, with that foil seal, something I've never seen before, I would assume they're post-2016.
If you decide to buy them, and if you have calipers, measure the thickness and report back here. The newer ones are about 10% thinner than the old, according to @ShavingByTheNumbers

Talking through my hat, with that foil seal, something I've never seen before, I would assume they're post-2016.
If you decide to buy them, and if you have calipers, measure the thickness and report back here. The newer ones are about 10% thinner than the old, according to @ShavingByTheNumbers

I agree, I also think that is a reasonable assumption, though if true it would reverse the common wisdom that the identifier for post-2016 Derby Extras is the landscape oriented label. I'm hoping that a member here can confirm that the foil seal packaging is indeed post-2016. I'm afraid I don't have calipers precise enough to accurately measure minute differences in the thickness of a razor blade.

@Spang Are the shaves different between your two tucks?
I haven't yet tried a sample from the "new" tuck of blades so I can't say. While I'm not a Derby Extra hater, the pre-2016 blades would never make my "A" list either. As far as I know, I have never tried a "new improved" Derby Extra so I might give one a go tomorrow and report back.

I haven't yet tried a sample from the "new" tuck of blades so I can't say. While I'm not a Derby Extra hater, the pre-2016 blades would never make my "A" list either. As far as I know, I have never tried a "new improved" Derby Extra so I might give one a go tomorrow and report back.
Perfect. Looking forward to you thoughts. Thank you.

Perfect. Looking forward to you thoughts. Thank you.
This morning I loaded up a blade from the foil sealed tuck that I surmised to be the "new improved" post-2016 Derbys. Based on the shave, I believe that is likely a correct conclusion. The performance of this blade felt like a clear improvement over the pre-2016 blades I have experienced. Having said that, I won't be rushing to buy more; the shave was decent, but nothing more. The blade definitely felt less rough than the older version, though still not especially sharp. All in all, a decent, middle tier blade in my book, which is better than I can say about the older version, which was bottom tier for me, for sure.

Check this post by @ South Dakota Guy and you can clearly see the improvement in the edge on the newer Derbys.

The takeaway from all of this is that I believe it is incorrect to assume that the new Derby Extras are packaged only in tucks printed in landscape. As these blades apparently show, at least some new Derby Extras are being packaged in 5-blade tucks that are printed in portrait orientation. Good to know if Derbys are your thing.

Top Bottom